Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I didn't meet any backpackers toting babies through Africa, I just commented in what saw. The Swedes had come overland, so I doubt if it was Singapore all the way.It didn't sound like the OP was talking abour traveling to the Singapores of the world. He mentioned Central America, where local moms hold the babies out the windows of the chicken buses to pee.

Singapore might be the worst of all worlds, like the US, where you are constantly under surveillance for nanny laws about tots.
Lol and those babies are just fine...my point is that for a very long time women have been traveling with babies in no where near as advanced society as we have now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 10:36 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
I am not sure what type of travelling the OP has in mind. There is mention of about a month in a number of different countries. Would this be in the one city or location? Or a few days in each place, with constant moving along?

How long is it planned to continue this travelling? A year, or indefinitely?

One thing I would say is that a three year old is far too young to have an opinion on this.

I personally cannot think of anything worse than leading a gypsy existence with kids that age. If you were considering staying in a couple of places for a more extended time I would agree that it would have its virtues. But more for the parents than the kids.

I do say this as someone who has kids as well as grandkids and who has done a fair bit of travelling. The earliest memories my own kids have of travelling with us were formed when they were 5 and 7, when they first went to another country with us. They remember being upset when we would not let them swim in heavy rain. They whinged most of the trip, where it rained heavily for most of the three weeks.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Lol and those babies are just fine...my point is that for a very long time women have been traveling with babies in no where near as advanced society as we have now
They did what they HAD to.
Pretty sure op is actually trying to have a good time.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 AM

213 posts, read 301,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I am not sure what type of travelling the OP has in mind. There is mention of about a month in a number of different countries. Would this be in the one city or location? Or a few days in each place, with constant moving along?

How long is it planned to continue this travelling? A year, or indefinitely?

One thing I would say is that a three year old is far too young to have an opinion on this.

I personally cannot think of anything worse than leading a gypsy existence with kids that age. If you were considering staying in a couple of places for a more extended time I would agree that it would have its virtues. But more for the parents than the kids.

I do say this as someone who has kids as well as grandkids and who has done a fair bit of travelling. The earliest memories my own kids have of travelling with us were formed when they were 5 and 7, when they first went to another country with us. They remember being upset when we would not let them swim in heavy rain. They whinged most of the trip, where it rained heavily for most of the three weeks.
So I'm happy to answer a few of the questions in this post and in the previous posts.

First off, my wife is more confident in our ability to enjoy slow travel with young children than even I am at this point. We've never allowed our child's age determine our travel plans except within the first 6 months after they're born to allow their ammune system to develop, etc.

We're not going to be sight-seeing per se, no museums, no out of the way excursions. We will be living our normal lives albeit more relaxed and intentional.

We plan to be in Central America from the time our youngest is 7 months to 10 months, then up to Colorado from when he's 11 months to 16 months old and then we'd leave for Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia at around 16-18 months old.

This will be our fourth trip to Costa Rica and we just hang out in the same house and relax on the beach, walk to restaurants, etc... Once in Asia, we will stay in one place for the duration of our Tourist Visa and then head to the next country/city/island instead of doing a "visa run."

I understand asking my 3 year old's opinion is amusing at best but it's a classic unadulterated reaction that we like to gauge. We always take a ton of food and entertainment for our kids and have already been to the majority of these places ourselves.

Perhaps with this extra information traveling abroad with a 4.5 year old and a 1.5 year old is a little more reasonable?

Thank you all so much for your valued responses!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
:: snip
We've never allowed our child's age determine our travel plans

:: snip ::
Yep, as a few of us have already sensed it.

Very, very selfish mindset.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,719 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Kids are resilient,

Parents... (and others) not much.

Have a nice trip.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:09 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
So I'm happy to answer a few of the questions in this post and in the previous posts.

First off, my wife is more confident in our ability to enjoy slow travel with young children than even I am at this point. We've never allowed our child's age determine our travel plans except within the first 6 months after they're born to allow their ammune system to develop, etc.

We're not going to be sight-seeing per se, no museums, no out of the way excursions. We will be living our normal lives albeit more relaxed and intentional.

We plan to be in Central America from the time our youngest is 7 months to 10 months, then up to Colorado from when he's 11 months to 16 months old and then we'd leave for Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia at around 16-18 months old.

This will be our fourth trip to Costa Rica and we just hang out in the same house and relax on the beach, walk to restaurants, etc... Once in Asia, we will stay in one place for the duration of our Tourist Visa and then head to the next country/city/island instead of doing a "visa run."

I understand asking my 3 year old's opinion is amusing at best but it's a classic unadulterated reaction that we like to gauge. We always take a ton of food and entertainment for our kids and have already been to the majority of these places ourselves.

Perhaps with this extra information traveling abroad with a 4.5 year old and a 1.5 year old is a little more reasonable?

Thank you all so much for your valued responses!
I have been both of these destinations and I would not bring a young child there. First, the air quality is terrible. Second, both my husband and I got sick from the food b/c their standards are not up to par with ours here in the states. You WILL GET travelers diarrhea and your children will as well. Thirdly, the CDC recommends a few vaccines for these destinations, other than the standard MMR. You should get typhoid, as well as Hep A/C (look @ CDC website to see what is needed). Taking a child to a 2nd/3rd place like that without getting them vaccinated is extremely foolish.

Cabs will not have carseats or seatbelts. You DO NOT want to take your child on a songthaew or tuk-tuk. They are extremely dangerous for children. Many bathrooms do not have toilet paper or changing tables in the womens rooms for diaper changing. Medical care is severely lacking.

I cannot possibly understand what a child of 16-18 months of age will gain from that type of experience. SEA is a beautiful part of the world, and yes little kids live there, but it is a very different way of life for people who are not accustomed to it.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 04-22-2019 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 03:19 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
I guess my reaction is that I do not quite see the point of taking the kids on that sort of a trip. I agree that they would certainly need all sorts of vaccinations. We just went to Vietnam for three weeks and had to have typhoid, update our hep and tetanus and some others too, I think. Again, they certainly have different safety standards and seat belts, car seats with tethers and so on are still only starting to be used. Families ride the motor bikes, often two adults and a couple of kids on the vehicle. And yes, there was a lot of air pollution, rubbish everywhere but actually we did not get sick at all.

But kids there do what kids do everywhere. They play, go to daycare and to school, though often the early child care is done by grandparents, according to our guide. Without a common language and without knowing a lot of people it would be difficult to have more than superficial contacts with other kids.

I do not imagine any great harm would be done but what would be the benefit to you all?

Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 PM

372 posts, read 220,210 times
Default Kids and travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Yep, as a few of us have already sensed it.

Very, very selfish mindset.
Do I think you're crazy? Not at all. I think you are gormless and inconsiderate

I quite liked my nephews as children. I never had to deal with them for for more than few minutes at time.

I don't usually like small children, and rarely see them as cute. Children stop being annoying little psychos from about age 12. They are especially un-cute to me when kicking my seat on a plane, running up and down the aisle because they're bored, or babies screaming for ages because the change in air pressure hurts/confuses them.

I do not blame children for behaving like children. I blame their parents who assume every one will think their offspring are the cutest thing ever, and be tolerant and understanding. Some will. Cranky old sods like me will not. A different matter if unavoidable. If a holiday, such travellers may have some shocks coming.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Do I think you're crazy? Not at all. I think you are gormless and inconsiderate

I quite liked my nephews as children. I never had to deal with the for for more than few minutes at time.

I don't like small children, and rarely see them as cute. They are especially un-cute to me when kicking my seat on a plane, running up and down the aisle, because they're bored, or babies screaming for ages because the change in air pressure hurts/confuses them.

I do not blame children for behaving like children. I blame their parents who assume every one will think their offspring are the cutest thing ever, and be tolerant and understanding. Some will. Cranky old sods like me will not. A different matter if unavoidable. If a holiday, such travellers may have some shocks coming.
LOL i cannot stand ill-behaved children (& i’m a sod in my 30’s lol)

But yeah not only is not fun for everyone else, i cant imagine it even being fun for the OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel