U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 AM

319 posts, read 112,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes but if the child does not NEED to come on the trip, why bring them? It's an inconvenience to everyone else who paid a lot of money to be on the flight.
Because he is a HUMAN and we are his FAMILY. I am also paying a lot of money for him and the rest of my family. He deserves a little bit of respect. He does not deserve to be relegated to the indoors and going nowhere because his mere presence is inconvenient to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 11:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Because he is a HUMAN and we are his FAMILY. I am also paying a lot of money for him and the rest of my family. He deserves a little bit of respect. He does not deserve to be relegated to the indoors and going nowhere because his mere presence is inconvenient to you
Ok but passengers on the flight are also paying a lot of money so don't expect people to not be annoyed or aggravated when a child is running up & down the aisles and screaming.

No I don't hate kids as long as they can behave, I don't have a problem with it but on long international flights they can get bored & restless. These flights are even hard on adults.

Don't expect me to be all excited about some little kid on my flight.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:55 AM

319 posts, read 112,185 times
Quote:
Ok but passengers on the flight are also paying a lot of money so don't expect people to not be annoyed or aggravated when a child is running up & down the aisles and screaming.

No I don't hate kids as long as they can behave, I don't have a problem with it but on long international flights they can get bored & restless. These flights are even hard on adults.

Don't expect me to be all excited about some little kid on my flight.
well my son would never be allowed to run up and down the aisles. I have seen videos of children doing that, its sort of unbelievable. My son sits in his seat or in the floor. I wouldn't even make running around screaming an option.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:21 AM

981 posts, read 299,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Asking a three year old her opinion is insane - she is not yet old enough to give a competent opinion in this matter. Ask her if she wants to be overtired, hungry, have no place comfortable to lie down, be strapped for hours and hours into a seat, and be dragged around to museums. Ask her if she wants to have travel immunizations. Ask her if she wants to wait on long lines to get through security.

Believe me. The 3 year old is too young, and for the infant it will just be misery. Becoming nomads with very young children is just cruel for them. They will have no memory of any of it, and they will suffer a lot of discomfort during the traveling. Later on, they won't care about missing several years of early elementary school. You sound as if you are trying to rationalize your selfish desire to go NOW, rather than wait for the sake of the kids. How does their mother feel about this?
Agreed.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 AM

13,890 posts, read 7,395,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Now to get that 'level of responsibility / expectation' transferred to pet owners...

Waiting for the first aircraft emergency evacuation with (8) Emotional Support Animals... not trained, not licensed, not obedient.

"Sorry folks, stay seated while we wait for Animal Control to arrive on the scene, don't mind the smoke and fire, it is a temporary inconvenience."

I've had some flights that were more like "Life of Pi".

I wish I'd taken a picture of the Great Dane with the tiny $20 Amazon.com emotional support dog vest. Jammed into a totally full 737 on a 4 1/2 hour flight to Denver. I'm just glad I didn't have to sit next to it.

I love the "my kid would never...." stuff in this thread. I've had the 50 pound future NFL linebacker lap kid in the middle seat next to me. You know the mother is flying basic economy with no seat assignment and the kid is probably four. I have the head phone and ear bud technology to deal with screaming kids. There's not much I can do when the future Ronaldo is sitting behind me kicking my seatback constantly for hours with the parents totally ignoring the kid.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:55 AM

First, we are having a measles crisis in New York. Traveling with a child who doesn't have all the necessary vaccinations? Especially in areas of the world where serious diseases are more common.

What languages do you speak? How would you deal with an emergency situation, like at a hospital, without speaking the native language. You can't count of everyone speaking english.

Children need to learn social skills with their peers.

Toddlers begin with parallel play Although it looks like there is very little contact between them, these children are learning valuable social skills and actually learn quite a lot from one another. Then, a child will be more interested in playing with other children around them than the individual toys they play with.

Associative play is slightly different than parallel play as children may continue to play separately from one another, but they start to become more involved in what others around them are doing.

Cooperative play is where play finally becomes organized into groups and teamwork is seen. Children are now interested in both the people that they are playing with as well as the activity at hand. The group is more formalized with a leader, as well as other assigned roles, and play organizes around accomplishing group goals or specific tasks. Cooperative play begins in the late preschool period, between the ages of 4 and 6. It is uncommon to see children reach this stage until these later years, as it requires an evolved set of organizational skills and a higher degree of social maturity.

Your children need to have consistent group of peers to learn these basic skills. Otherwise, a number of countries where military brat subcultures occur (but with some exceptions and to varying degrees), there may also be an itinerant or modern nomadic lifestyle involved as the child follows their military parent(s) from base to base, in many cases never having a hometown (or at least going through very long periods of being away from one's home town). It also can involve living outside of one's home country at or near overseas military bases in foreign cultures, or in regions within one's home country far from one's home region, along with experiences of significant cultural difference in either case. Highly mobile Military brat subcultures have also been described as modern nomadic or peripatetic subcultures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_brat

On a personal note:I spent a fortune on my kids college education. I advise any parent to save as much as possible for college and graduate school. $60,000 a year might be $100,000 or more a year when your kids are ready to go.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Don't worry about missing out on early elementary school. As long as you teach them to read, write, and do arithmetic on your own while traveling, they will be fine when you return to regular life. Better yet, spend a year in one country, starting when the youngest is in kindergarten, and they'll become fluent in that language.
I can't imagine any country issuing a visa for a year while allowing this non-native family to use public schools and having to provide a bilingual support to their kids.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:28 AM

996 posts, read 347,624 times
I guess we are those bad parents who inflicted a world experience on our young daughter.

We moved abroad twice when my daughter was growing up; starting at age 2. We also moved around the USA a little bit. We traveled extensively with her. She was exposed to all kinds of activities and adventures. She traveled easily and was always well behaved on airplanes. It was second nature to her. She adapted to language and cultural differences easily as she did not know any different.

Our last move was when she was a sophomore in high school. She is now 22 years old. Last May, she graduated college with honors. She is an ICU nurse. She is independent, confident, and centered. People always remark that she is very mature for her age. She is traveling on her own to visit friends in London next month and Peru in June.

Do not discount the experience children gain from traveling and living in other cultures.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I guess we are those bad parents who inflicted a world experience on our young daughter.

We moved abroad twice when my daughter was growing up; starting at age 2. We also moved around the USA a little bit. We traveled extensively with her. She was exposed to all kinds of activities and adventures. She traveled easily and was always well behaved on airplanes. It was second nature to her. She adapted to language and cultural differences easily as she did not know any different.

Our last move was when she was a sophomore in high school. She is now 22 years old. Last May, she graduated college with honors. She is an ICU nurse. She is independent, confident, and centered. People always remark that she is very mature for her age. She is traveling on her own to visit friends in London next month and Peru in June.

Do not discount the experience children gain from traveling and living in other cultures.
Many people who don't travel like that also graduate with honors, travel as adults and get 'good' jobs too. While admirable, her travel/moving around upbringing isn't the reason she is an honor student with a good job.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 AM

996 posts, read 347,624 times
Quote:
Many people who don't travel like that also graduate with honors, travel as adults and get 'good' jobs too. While admirable, her travel/moving around upbringing isn't the reason she is an honor student with a good job.
You're right. My point is that moving around and traveling did not negatively impact her. She was not deprived a "proper" childhood due to our somewhat nomadic ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or