U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 AM

990 posts, read 302,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
You're right. But moving around and traveling did not negatively impact her. That was my point.
I think it depends on the child. A child with a learning disability might have a harder time. Some disabilities aren't apparent until fifth grade. A child on the autism spectrum would have a harder time. A child who misses social clues has different needs than a more social child. It's the luck of draw which genes a child gets.

We moved four times, but I worked really hard to arrange playdates and to maintain their old friendships. A regular interaction with grandparents is important too. Keeping these important ties is going to be harder with moves and travels.

Maybe a child will be okay, maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 10:04 AM

324 posts, read 114,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I think it depends on the child. A child with a learning disability might have a harder time. Some disabilities aren't apparent until fifth grade. A child on the autism spectrum would have a harder time. A child who misses social clues has different needs than a more social child. It's the luck of draw which genes a child gets.

We moved four times, but I worked really hard to arrange playdates and to maintain their old friendships. A regular interaction with grandparents is important too. Keeping these important ties is going to be harder with moves and travels.

well that can be said about just about anything you do with children. Maybe they will turn out ok maybe they wont.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:51 AM

1,002 posts, read 349,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
well that can be said about just about anything you do with children. Maybe they will turn out ok maybe they wont.
Exactly.

We adjusted and adapted along the way. The teenage years were not exactly a lot of fun in our house, but my daughter has always been a person who knows exactly what she wants and how she wants it. We had to reel her back in, a time or two. Parenting involves a fair amount of effort; especially when you have (for lack of a better word) "high needs" children.

Her childhood was normal for her. She did not know any different and a fair amount of her peers lived a somewhat similar lifestyle.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 AM

990 posts, read 302,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Yeah, but you wouldn't want to miss development stages just in case. You would want to give them every advantage possible.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
You're right. My point is that moving around and traveling did not negatively impact her. She was not deprived a "proper" childhood due to our somewhat nomadic ways.
Ok but I would bet there ARE people who HAVE been negatively impacted by it. Just b/c your daughter wasn't, doesn't mean other people weren't.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but you wouldn't want to miss development stages just in case. You would want to give them every advantage possible.
Especially too if they are special needs. Places in the US would likely have better resources and schools for these children, as opposed to some 3rd world country.

I am sure there are some places in the world that do have exceptional programs outside of the US. But some children need to be in a more stable environment, school system and may need 1 to 1 assistance.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:

I would be worried about medical care overseas as well. I guess it depends where you go … but with this couple going to Thailand and Vietnam, the medical care is lacking severely in those types of places. Sure if you're going to France or UK, yeah the medical care is probably fine … but in a 2nd or 3rd world country, you're really risking your child to a host of ailments and jeopardizing the care they're getting.

They didn't mention India but there are all sorts of people right now pretending to be real doctors in Delhi and faking their credentials etc etc. You have to be so so careful.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 04-24-2019 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 06:16 PM

907 posts, read 331,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would be worried about medical care overseas as well. I guess it depends where you go but with this couple going to Thailand and Vietnam, the medical care is lacking severely in those types of places. Sure if you're going to France or UK, yeah the medical care is probably fine but in a 2nd or 3rd world country, you're really risking your child to a host of ailments and jeopardizing the care they're getting.

They didn't mention India but there are all sorts of people right now pretending to be real doctors in Delhi and faking their credentials etc etc. You have to be so so careful.
I just looked up the figures and the vaccination rate for measles in Thailand and Vietnam seem to be 99% and 97% respectively, way above the US. There are excellent hospitals in Thailand, medical tourism is an important industry there. That would actually be the least of my concerns.

We are actually scared of being sick in the US and having to navigate the expensive and unfamiliar system, and deal with insurers which we never do at home.

However, as I have already said, I just cannot see the point of travelling like that when the kids are so young. We took ours to Thailand when they were 9 and 11 and they were really old enough to enjoy it and also remember it.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:28 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Like MM suggests, Thailand private hospitals are some of the best in the world and much nicer than the average hospital in the US. For medical care, Thailand's big cities would not be a concern.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,588 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would be worried about medical care overseas as well. I guess it depends where you go … but with this couple going to Thailand and Vietnam, the medical care is lacking severely in those types of places. ....
You should tell that to the 10's of thousands of Europeans (many from national healthcare states) who are in Thailand and Vietnam this very minute for HC (and have been going to Asia for annual 'tune-ups' for 50+ yrs)

Medical tourism is very professionally done.

It is USA care you need to worry about and why many from foreign countries are not allowed by Dr or HC provider to visit USA. (many cannot come to USA due to pre-existing conditions / fragile health, in case they would need medical care). Friends from Scotland have been petitioning to come to USA during 20 yrs remission from Cancer, and are not permitted by their Insurance / Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or