U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:24 PM

12,625 posts, read 7,538,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
If your son is interested in Germany, then why not? I might try to do a few cities -- maybe Berlin and Munich or something like that.
But if he only wants to go to play pong on that one street corner in Hildesheim, Germany, Im not sure I'd want to plan a whole vacation around that. Especially if he doesn't think he would enjoy going to a country without a lot of English speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 05:33 PM

899 posts, read 329,347 times
I would suggest Nice on the French Riviera. You can do side trips to places of historical interest, check out Monaco, enjoy the amazing food and antique markets, spend the day on the beach if you want. English is widely spoken.

Our kids were a nightmare for travelling when they were around 15. They stayed that way until they were living in England in their twenties and suddenly welcomed travelling with us again. Of course, they paid for a few road tolls and we coughed up most of the rest!

Old 04-10-2019, 05:41 PM

9,147 posts, read 3,000,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I am currently planning a trip to Vietnam with my husband for his birthday which I previously made a post about. We are taking our whole family (along with my sister, husband and her kids) on a short cruise to Mexico at thanksgiving.

We want to start traveling domestically and internationally with our children. We have a 15 year old and 5 year old that live with us, both boys. I mentioned to the 15 year old that we were considering Ireland and he seemed uninterested in that and said there is nothing to do there and everyone wears kilts ("those little skirt thingies"). I told him he doesn't know anything about Ireland. He seemed interested in Germany because they have interactive cross walks.

So, my question is, given their ages and vastly different interests where would be a good place to introduce them to international travel? The older boy is a bit fearful yet so he wouldn't enjoy a trip that was in a place without a lot of English speakers. I know the general European countries but more specifically cities within those countries that would appeal to a broad age group and be a good way to dip their toes into international travel.

We live in NYC
One key issue, is how much does the older boy like being with his younger brother and does he take the role of assisting you as the younger one's parents? This will make a big difference in how smoothly any trip will go.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:03 PM

319 posts, read 112,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
One key issue, is how much does the older boy like being with his younger brother and does he take the role of assisting you as the younger one's parents? This will make a big difference in how smoothly any trip will go.
He is surprisingly helpful and eager with his brother. Obviously a 15 year old does not have infinite patience for a 5 year old but for the most part hes great. And without video games and such to distract him he should be fine on that front.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:04 PM

319 posts, read 112,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But if he only wants to go to play pong on that one street corner in Hildesheim, Germany, Im not sure I'd want to plan a whole vacation around that. Especially if he doesn't think he would enjoy going to a country without a lot of English speakers.

I would love a trip to Germany but not just to play crosswalk games Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or