Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:49 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,071,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Nothing contrarian about avoiding the worst crowds. I went to Alburquerque’s balloon fest more than 30 years ago. It was worth doing but very crowded. I can’t imagine what torture it would be these days.
I was there about 3 years ago and skipped the entire thing when I saw how awful it looked. There were like 5 car accidents on the freeway from people trying to cut each other off to get to an exit ramp that was backed up.

I drove a bit and took a nice photo of all of them from afar. Never again lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 01:49 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,323,455 times
We booked a cruise out of San Juan PR in 1992. We got there a few days early and stayed in a hotel in Old San Juan. What we had not thought about or considered was that it was Columbus day, 500 years. We had a great time, totally unplanned.

The hotel El Convento was originally built as a convent and it was fine.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:59 PM

16,386 posts, read 12,387,691 times
Avoiding massive crowds and ridiculous price increases due to it being a hallmark event? I don't see anything wrong with that. I have no interest in New Years Eve in NYC, Oktoberfest in Munich, Mardi Gras in NOLA, whatever city is hosting the Super Bowl, SXSW in Austin, Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, etc.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,071,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Avoiding massive crowds and ridiculous price increases due to it being a hallmark event? I don't see anything wrong with that. I have no interest in New Years Eve in NYC, Oktoberfest in Munich, Mardi Gras in NOLA, whatever city is hosting the Super Bowl, SXSW in Austin, Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, etc.
The real contrarian travel is when you avoid places like Times Square all together regardless of the date. If you travel to NYC and spend most, if not all, of your time in Jackson Heights or Astoria, then you're probably the contrarian traveler.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 PM

24,530 posts, read 18,093,858 times
Meh. Sometimes I do the touron stuff. Sometimes I do alternative things. May, we’re doing the cliche Rome, Florence, Venice thing. I have Vatican Museum, Colosseum, David, Uffizi, & Pitti Palace tickets. I’ve been to all those places. My girlfriend hasn’t.

In late-September, we’re renting a house in Galicia. I’ve been there before and it’s deserted after the summer high season ends. That’s as contrarian as it gets.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:20 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,982,912 times
I tend to travel during the off season. This is in part to not have to put up with hot summer days. A few years ago I went to Yellowstone National Park in the fall just before they closed some of the roads for winter. During the weekdays there were very few people there.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:25 PM

16,386 posts, read 12,387,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
The real contrarian travel is when you avoid places like Times Square all together regardless of the date. If you travel to NYC and spend most, if not all, of your time in Jackson Heights or Astoria, then you're probably the contrarian traveler.
Now I can't claim to be that contrarian, but I'm a theater geek. I spend most of my frequent NYC trips in the theater district, including Times Square.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:37 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,971,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
I do, or at least that's my preference.

While I have done a modest share of traveling to destinations during their 'marquee' event (like Boston during July 4 Esplanade concert), in general I tend to avoid doing so.

New Orleans? Yes, but not during Mardi Gras.

Louisville? Yes, but not during Derby.

etc.

anyone else?

I'll agree with you about New Orleans. While a part of me would love to attend Mardi Gras to say I did it...the crowds and the expense tell me "Nope".

But we like to go and attend the Zydeco and Cajun festival in June, from time to time. That's fun stuff for us.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:13 PM

656 posts, read 809,448 times
Yah, I am all for that. I even visit states that everyone is ignoring. Go where the crowds aren't, where the crowds have not ruined the place...yet.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,738,840 times
Mardi Gras is a long season and celebrated these days on most of the northern Gulf Coast. We’ll hit one or two Saturday parades in Pensacola and call it good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel