U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 04:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 9,269,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Hi all, my friend invited us to go to Berlin with her for a few days in late September. My husband and I have never been so we are super excited. We decided to take some additional days an add another destination to our trip. We've been to Amsterdam and thought about going back as we loved it. However, we also thought about taking this opportunity to see somewhere new. We were thinking maybe Prague but wanted opinions from those who've been there. Should we go to Prague or go back to Amsterdam or is there somewhere else you'd recommend?

We love history, museums, food, beer and enjoy walking around a new city a lot. =)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Let me suggest this trip:

1. Three to four days in Amsterdam including side trips to the Dutch countryside to see windmills and dikes.

2. Take the train from Amsterdam to Berlin and spend three to four days with your friends sightseeing. Honestly, I was not overwhelmed with Berlin from a scenery point of view. Its a very flat area and very urbanized. However, the history revolving around Berlin makes it worth the visit. You can see sections of the Berlin Wall that have been preserved. You can visit Checkpoint Charlie and the Checkpoint Charlie Museum where red army soldiers literally faced off against American Army soldiers. There is a museum on Unter den Linden known as the Germany History Museum which I found very rewarding.

3. Than take the train from Berlin to Prague and spend three days there. Prague is a great walking city and you will want to walk along the Vitava River. The Hop On Hop Off bus is a great way to see this city.

4. Arrange your tickets so you can fly home from Prague or train back to Berlin and fly out of there. The distance between the two cities is not that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 06:40 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
If all one wants to see in the Netherlands are windmills and dikes, a half day visit to Zaanse Schans from Amsterdam (a short train ride away) will fill the bill nicely. Amsterdam itself has plenty of excellent museums, churches, and historic homes to see, at least three days worth.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:38 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,619,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Let me suggest this trip:

1. Three to four days in Amsterdam including side trips to the Dutch countryside to see windmills and dikes.

2. Take the train from Amsterdam to Berlin and spend three to four days with your friends sightseeing. Honestly, I was not overwhelmed with Berlin from a scenery point of view. Its a very flat area and very urbanized. However, the history revolving around Berlin makes it worth the visit. You can see sections of the Berlin Wall that have been preserved. You can visit Checkpoint Charlie and the Checkpoint Charlie Museum where red army soldiers literally faced off against American Army soldiers. There is a museum on Unter den Linden known as the Germany History Museum which I found very rewarding.

3. Than take the train from Berlin to Prague and spend three days there. Prague is a great walking city and you will want to walk along the Vitava River. The Hop On Hop Off bus is a great way to see this city.

4. Arrange your tickets so you can fly home from Prague or train back to Berlin and fly out of there. The distance between the two cities is not that great.
While I love this! I don't have that much time off work. We are going Thur 9/26 (arriving Fri 9-/27) and returning Friday 10/4. So We are likely doing Berlin 9/27-10/1 and Prague 10/1-10/4. If we can take more time off work, I'd definitely be returning to Amsterdam as I loved it!

Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,415,248 times
My advice is, since you are already seeing one large city, to spend the rest of your time going somewhere smaller, more intimate. Europe is so, so much more than just large cities. In Germany, you can cruise or ride bikes along the banks of major rivers like the Rhiner, visiting the small towns along the way. You can visit the Romantic Road and medieval walled towns like Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or