U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 PM

4,473 posts, read 1,698,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Scott Peterson seemed like a nice person too, then he murdered his wife Lacey.
See? Don't even trust your own spouse or children, no matter how nice they seem, they might kill you. You can't be too careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:59 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,682,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
See? Don't even trust your own spouse or children, no matter how nice they seem, they might kill you. You can't be too careful.
Right? Statistically speaking, I'm more at risk having my husband of 20 years in my home than I am inviting a random woman and her baby. I'll let him know that he will be sleeping in the car from now on.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:48 AM

9,227 posts, read 9,295,009 times
Quote:
This is something I haven't done much on, not being very socially extroverted. How many countries have you been invited into a private home?

The rules are, in the living quarters where business is not conducted. Host may not be a first-world ex-pat, but may be immigrant.

I've been in a private home in only about half the countries I've been in. A couple of times in recent years, I/ve actually padded te number by asking an acquaintance if I can see what their home is like. People are quite gracious, who would otherwise ashamed of how they live in the third world, to the eyes of an American.

I've also been in 48 states, in almost half, never been in a private home..
I suppose everyone is different, but its something we don't do. I'm not comfortable staying in someone's private home unless that person is a good friend. Nor, would I want to open up my own home to someone that I just barely met.

No thanks. I'm not such a cheapskate that I can't afford a decent hotel in the countries that I choose to visit. Nor would I want to contend with things like tripping over someone's personal possessions that they left in their living room or breaking an object in the bathroom that they didn't put away.

I can make room for the idea that someone would like me so well that they could talk me into staying in their home. However, it hasn't happened yet and I'm not holding my breath.

My father taught me long ago that you keep friends by checking into a motel when you come to visit them. I think he was largely correct.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,677 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I suppose everyone is different, but its something we don't do. ...
No thanks. I'm not such a cheapskate that I can't afford a decent hotel in the countries that I choose to visit. ...
I can make room for the idea that someone would like me so well that they could talk me into staying in their home. However, it hasn't happened yet and I'm not holding my breath.

My father taught me long ago that you keep friends by checking into a motel when you come to visit them. I think he was largely correct.
And please consider that for some of us... travel is ALL about building relationships and getting to know local cultures / needs / events. While 40 yrs of business travel availed plenty of hotel stays, relationships and 'community-building' were pretty sparse.

I go very few places to "SEE" and not meet. Even while in National Parks I will spend at least as much time getting to know other travelers and volunteers and their stories, as I do herding around to sites.

Seems the things I remember well even on many backpacking and solo motorcycle trips were the people I met and experiences with them.

Each traveler is different and we can each enjoy many modes of travel and stays.

(In 4 different homes this week alone), I have learned a lot and helped out a lot... seniors often have projects they want done, the very simple things mean a lot to them (like making a cup holder shelf for a Brit gal). took < 1 hr, she has raved about it for 10 yrs each time we stay. Several mutual friends comment on our projects. One elderly gal had let her bathroom sink overflow and fill all the drawers. (and they came apart). She didn't want to tell her kids (They owned the place) so we fixed it good as new (that took a couple hours). Farmers always appreciate the help. We helped in a community fundraiser while visiting a small town last week. Had a blast, learned a lot about the community, got referred to some very unique and fun sites and services.

Just a different way to travel, and valuable to some. (We travel >50% of the time for last 10+ yrs, so we must enjoy it). We do RV on rare occasion, but it is not nearly as rich experience as homestays.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:49 PM

4,473 posts, read 1,698,732 times
Remember that this thread is not about sleeping overnight but just being a step across the threshold, with the invitation or permission of the rightful occupants. I'v been offered a bed by complete strangers only maybe 5 times, but a cup of tea or in out of the rain countless times.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,677 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Quote:
Remember that this thread is not about sleeping overnight but just being a step across the threshold, with the invitation or permission of the rightful occupants. I'v been offered a bed by complete strangers only maybe 5 times, but a cup of tea or in out of the rain countless times.
and very ez / common during bad weather if you are traveling by bicycle, foot, motorcycle.

And if you attend and volunteer at community events or attend a worship service in 'small town USA / elsewhere', In rural AU and NZ we were probably invited to someone's home for lunch 2 - 3x / week.

In more remote / non-english speaking, you need to sit down at a local convenience store and chat with and take an interest in locals, sometimes that leads to tea in their home, or to a tour of community. Since I am a farmer, I seek AG tours / explanation, and always asking locals how they grow / harvest / raise livestock / market goods. I also like to fix things, and farmers have a lot of things to fix! SO, easy to join in and help others.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:49 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,113,148 times
From my first visit to the US, and after, I've been invited into the homes of people I got to know on Craigslist forums, both men and women; some I just visited, some were invites to dinner, and others offered me a place to stay while I was in their city. I never met anyone odd or dodgy, and I hope they didn't think that of me.

Always a fascinating experience, seeing inside homes in another country. It changed my thoughts on how I live in the UK, i.e. over here there's a culture of having to be a home-owner, seems to me to be less so in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or