U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times

Advertisements

This is something I haven't done much on, not being very socially extroverted. How many countries have you been invited into a private home?

The rules are, in the living quarters where business is not conducted. Host may not be a first-world ex-pat, but may be immigrant.

I've been in a private home in only about half the countries I've been in. A couple of times in recent years, I/ve actually padded te number by asking an acquaintance if I can see what their home is like. People are quite gracious, who would otherwise ashamed of how they live in the third world, to the eyes of an American.

I've also been in 48 states, in almost half, never been in a private home..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 12:40 AM

37,997 posts, read 55,785,174 times
Is there a reason you feel why people should invite total strangers to their home?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:58 AM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is there a reason you feel why people should invite total strangers to their home?
I do. The reasons vary.

Have you, when traveling, ever met someone and got invited to their home? What was the reason? Did it seem to you to be a nice gesture? Or have I opened up a nest of Vice-TV horror stories

Old 04-11-2019, 05:36 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I do. The reasons vary.
My mom when she was younger used to invite strangers that she met while traveling into our home (while I was growing up) and of course they became family friends. She would strike up conversations with people as she was a very friendly person whether the trip was short (like a city bus ride) or long (like a several hour flight).

Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,123,109 times
Back in the 80s I was on the ferry from Moorea back to Tahiti and a woman overheard me talking to someone about some unfriendly locals I had encountered on Moorea. She approached me and asked if my girlfriend and I would like to come to her house for a birthday party she was having that night. We accepted and when she found out we didn't fly out until the next day insisted that we spend the night in her guest house.

When we arrived at her beautiful home on the lagoon with a view back to Moorea she showed us to the outdoor shower and said we could clean up from traveling and select a clean pareu from a stack in the bath. The feast was amazing with traditional Tahitian food and music and we were treated like honored guests. Flew back to the States the next morning with a completely changed opinion about Tahitian hospitality.

I was invited and stayed for a week with an American United Nations worker in Vava'u Tonga. I have others.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
I do private homes in nearly all the countries I visit, thanks to Hospitality Exchange.

I much prefer to Air B&B (profit)

Servas.org has been doing this around the world since 1947 + hundreds of other organizations do similar. Purposed for relationship building, and no 'profit motive'. Often a $20 payment which is usually donated to the next person or a charity.

I have done over 280 nights in private homes per yr on occasion. (including 100% of this month)

Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
This is something I haven't done much on, not being very socially extroverted. How many countries have you been invited into a private home?

The rules are, in the living quarters where business is not conducted. Host may not be a first-world ex-pat, but may be immigrant.

I've been in a private home in only about half the countries I've been in. A couple of times in recent years, I/ve actually padded te number by asking an acquaintance if I can see what their home is like. People are quite gracious, who would otherwise ashamed of how they live in the third world, to the eyes of an American.

I've also been in 48 states, in almost half, never been in a private home..
Because most Americans won't invite random travelers to their homes. I don't see why or even how they could meet so many travelers anyhow. I live in NYC, there are some travelers, but I don't come in contact with a ton daily and also sometimes it is hard to even pinpoint who are tourists and who aren't. Most people who visit NYC are not really 'backpacking' like what we associate with 'backpacking' through Europe.

And most of the time I am on my way to work and don't have the time to chat anyway except in the rare case someone asks for directions or something. I just don't come in to situations on a day to day basis when I would strike up enough of a conversation to want to invite someone into my home.

It happens more overseas. I have been to 2 homes but they were homestays that I booked ahead of time, not random people who just invited me in.

I would wager this doesn't happen all that often.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 04-16-2019 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,177,423 times
I was in Borneo. I happened (unintentionally) to be there during Dayak Festival. It was intense. There was roasted young bearded pig. That part was awesome.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:44 PM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
I’ve stayed with co-workers and former co-workers & business associates many times. I’ve done a ton of international business travel. I have a house and a sailboat on the coast and a townhouse at a ski resort. I do the same. It usually starts out with a “let’s meet for dinner”. “If you’re in town, stay the weekend” is pretty common.

I don’t do the rent a room with AirBnB very often. I did 3 months of 3 midweek nights near Rittenhouse in Philadelphia a few years ago that started with AirBnB by a couple who worked midweek in Manhattan for one of the big consultancy firms. I didn’t see either of them very much.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:25 PM

2,378 posts, read 7,764,578 times
Maybe this topic belongs in the relationships forum? Last summer I was on a solo bicycling trip in Germany. I am age 64 and retired, and decided to go to Germany for 3 months to escape the hottest months in Arizona. I speak German very well, and was there in the 1970s for 4 years when I was serving in the US Army. Germany is an excellent place for bicycle touring.

During my trip, I met many other bicycle tourists every day, mostly people that lived in Germany. I only met a few US tourists during my 3 month trip. I did not spend much time in the big cities or at big tourist attractions. In the middle part of my trip, I met two women who were also bike touring. We were standing under an awning during a rain storm, so it was easy to start a conversation. The women were age mid-50s, sisters, from a small city in eastern Germany. We ended up staying in the same town and we went out to dinner that evening. I enjoyed talking to them and we had a great time. One of the sisters asked me to exchange cell phone numbers. We parted ways the next morning, but for the next 5 or 6 days I was in text message contact with my new friend. After she and her sister returned home, I called my new friend and we chatted for awhile. She invited me to visit, since I was not very far away from her home town.

I was a little surprised and a bit nervous, but I figured it would be a good change to stay at my new friend's apartment instead of solo at a hotel or guest house. I thought it might be for just a few days. Turns out the two of us were very "compatible", and a few days turned into a 6 week stay. My tourist visa in Germany was close to running out and my flight back to Arizona was coming up, so I had to leave. We talked about "what ifs", to figure out if or what kind of relationship there might be in the future. We are still in contact, but my feeling is that there is no long term relationship in the works. She is too independent and not interested in being tied to one person. I might be the same way?

All this means is yes, it is possible to be invited as a stranger into another person's home while on a trip, and yes, it might turn out to be an interesting life experience. It sure was for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or