U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 AM

6,313 posts, read 3,576,034 times

Advertisements

Frankly no. Why would I travel halfway around the world to see the same culture I have at home? I want diversity! LOL

It has nothing to do with the color of the people but rather engaging in their unique cultural heritage and for that you've got to get away from the tourist areas and out into the boonies.

I think world politics is making a big mistake by choosing to force us all into the same mold. Worse yet, so many of us seem willing to go.

*Off soapbox*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 11 days ago)

9,528 posts, read 3,654,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
What is a Brit? after 300 BCE?
A Druge. A Carthagian, Roman, A Celtic, A Saxon, A Norman, A Brittany, A Nordic?
A part of being an empire was to confer "citizenship to all within the empire.
Not very diverse, as Romans, Celts, Saxons, Normans and Nordic were all European and white. Even Carthagians were probably darker skinned Caucasian types.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 04-14-2019 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 12:40 PM

5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
I prefer diversity, especially after a long period of time in a relatively homogeneous country.

After a month in Korea it was like a breath of fresh air arriving in Hong Kong. Black folks, white folks, Middle Eastern folks, Filipinos, Chinese speaking mandarin, other Chinese speaking canto, etc.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM

12,249 posts, read 17,999,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you travel to visit ethnically and culturally diverse cities? Then you should visit cities in different countries.
Right...lol.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:24 PM

4,173 posts, read 1,898,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Not very diverse, as Romans, Celts, Saxons, Normans and Nordic were all European and white. Even Carthagians were probably darker skinned Caucasian types.
Well, I didn't know that color is the only thing that defines culture

Old 04-14-2019, 04:50 PM

7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times
I don't expect a foreign country to be my own personal theme park or stuck in time for my own entertainment. Instead, I want to explore the current place in the current moment of time in whatever format that might be.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 11 days ago)

9,528 posts, read 3,654,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Well, I didn't know that color is the only thing that defines culture
There is such a thing as white European culture.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:25 PM

4,173 posts, read 1,898,828 times
If I ever make GB, I'd like to do kidney pie, a Welsh pudding, Irish corned beef and hot chicken curry.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:51 PM

1,805 posts, read 807,260 times
No.

Spanish speaking countries are much more interesting than Hispanic neighborhoods in LA where you'd constantly worry about your safety.

Chinatowns in LA and NYC are embarrassing, service/quality of food in authentic Chinese restaurants in LA are 10 times worse than any decent restaurant in Shanghai. More successful Chinese immigrants choose to live in affluent suburbs. Chinatowns attract losers among Chinese immigrants.

The same goes for Europe. So-called ethnically diverse neighborhoods in big cities = bad neighborhoods filled with recent immigrants who have nowhere else to go.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM

719 posts, read 436,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm sure that there are cities that have a high level of homogeneity, reflecting a somewhat "pure" cultural identity. That kind of travel might be interesting but might also be hard to find in major cities. I have not been there but Iceland is supposedly very homogeneous. Rural communities might be low diversity. Cities that are hard to get to or at least not on the tourist radar might show a homogeneous culture but likely a modernized version. Watching those old Anthony Bourdain shows it appears that even the most remote villages have karaoke machines and cell phones. If someone wants diversity the big global cities might be the best bet.
To the bold: I've always said that Rome is London is Paris is New York City. In other words, you're likely always going to find a lot of transplants in major cities, which could potentially serve to dilute the culture of the country you're visiting. Me? I prefer a more aboriginal experience when traveling. I like feeling connected to the traditional culture of a place. Examples: I prefer Naples to Rome and Manchester to London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or