Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:55 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times

Advertisements

I like both. I don't stress over these things when traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 AM

372 posts, read 219,808 times
"In London, I saw few actual Brits"

Really? Ah, you DO mean London, England? Perhaps you could describe an actual Brit" . Are you saying your holiday isn't as enjoyable if you see a lot of 'non Brits" ? (whatever they are)

What about the US, say New York? Do you think you could describe 'an actual American"?

"When you travel in Europe do you like going to places with a common culture or a multicultural city like London or Paris?"

Truly, not something I've ever thought about thought. The only time ethnicity entered my consciousness was in Caernarfon in Wales; saw a gaggle of red headed school girls, who all seemed to be speaking Welsh. But then, I've always been besotted with red hair, regardless of origin (red heads can be found all over the world)

I'm sorry, but I find your emphasis on ethnicity more than a little shallow, with hints of racism.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
To the bold: I've always said that Rome is London is Paris is New York City. In other words, you're likely always going to find a lot of transplants in major cities, which could potentially serve to dilute the culture of the country you're visiting. Me? I prefer a more aboriginal experience when traveling. I like feeling connected to the traditional culture of a place. Examples: I prefer Naples to Rome and Manchester to London.
Have you actually been to Manchester? It is almost as 'diverse' as London, the UK was once the centre of a global empire its full of people with ancestors from 'elsewhere', in fact historically the island has ALWAYS been an island of immigrations often from Europe and sometimes further beyond. If by ethnic British the OP means 'white' (even then probably ancestors originating from 'elsewhere' in Europe) then he/she will need to head for the more remote parts of the UK.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:03 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
"In London, I saw few actual Brits"

Really? Ah, you DO mean London, England? Perhaps you could describe an actual Brit" . Are you saying your holiday isn't as enjoyable if you see a lot of 'non Brits" ? (whatever they are)

What about the US, say New York? Do you think you could describe 'an actual American"?

"When you travel in Europe do you like going to places with a common culture or a multicultural city like London or Paris?"

Truly, not something I've ever thought about thought. The only time ethnicity entered my consciousness was in Caernarfon in Wales; saw a gaggle of red headed school girls, who all seemed to be speaking Welsh. But then, I've always been besotted with red hair, regardless of origin (red heads can be found all over the world)

I'm sorry, but I find your emphasis on ethnicity more than a little shallow, with hints of racism.
I see the point youre making however I disagree that its shallow and slightly racists. At least from my perspective. When I travel I like to enjoy the local area and the things its known for. If I was in London, I would want to see all the historical bits and pieces but I also know that any large metropolitan city would have a lot of cultural diversity. If I visit an out of the way place I sort of expect to see the locals and their life. Its not a race thing. Its a desire to learn about the places history and native peoples. I probably wouldn't eat spaghetti in Edinburgh but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want curry in London.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:39 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post

Sure. That's easy. Pickup truck. Beer belly. Trump sticker.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I like a mix. The off-the-beaten-path cities might be less diverse but reflect more of the culture of the country- maybe more of the architecture preserved, less English spoken if the native language isn't English, maybe even a prevalence of a less-common language such as Flemish or Catalan. OTOH, where would major cities be without ethnic restaurants? Back when England was notorious for pub-type food and not much else (late 1970s/early 1980s), I found Indian and Chinese restaurants were wonderful. Different cultures coming in can make a place more interesting.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Is the question about the residents of the city or tourists who visit it? The tourists who visit European cities are diverse either culturally or ethnically by definition. Most tourists who visit Europe are are either European from other countries, Asian or from the US.

But if OP is looking for the European cities that do not have diverse residents than they of course they exist as well. I think mainly those would be second rate cities that are nevertheless attractive to tourists. Here are example from my experience:

Germany: Hamburg
Second biggest German city, has a huge artificial lake right in the heart of the city, has some old charming historic buildings and a working sea port. Also has plenty of popular clubs, restaurants and a small red line district. Most residents are German, as far as i know

Hungary, Budapest
Poland, Krakow
Croatia, Dubrovnik

etc...

Old 04-15-2019, 10:39 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure. That's easy. Pickup truck. Beer belly. Trump sticker.
That's not how I picture a New Yorker.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Spanish speaking countries are much more interesting than Hispanic neighborhoods in LA where you'd constantly worry about your safety.
Are there any Spanish speaking countries besides Spain that don't have a reputation of safety issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
More successful Chinese immigrants choose to live in affluent suburbs. Chinatowns attract losers among Chinese immigrants.
Interesting perspective, makes sense.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:39 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
As a minority, I prefer ethnically and culturally diverse cities, but that won't stop me from enjoying some place new.

When I went on a cruise a couple of years ago which departed from a Southampton Port in England, there were few minorities on the cruise, and our large group of minorities were stared at quite frequently, and asked rather strange questions such as "why did we decide to take a cruise to Northern Europe". I mean, weird in the sense because it was probably the same reason the individual asking chose to go to Europe, to explore new places.

On the flip side, when we arrived at such parts as the Faroe Islands in Denmark and a few stops in Iceland, people were overall friendly, and I'm excited to explore the Faroe Islands for a longer period of time in the future.

In December when I went to Berlin to meet my Fiance, I did not feel welcome at all as a minority, although I did enjoy the food very much. This could also be because I do not speak German.

Last edited by nj21; 04-15-2019 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Southampton Port in England**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel