U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite on a vacation?
Las Vegas 0 0%
Rio de Janeiro 5 5.56%
Paris, France 26 28.89%
Dubai 4 4.44%
Tokyo, Japan 30 33.33%
Hawaii 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 AM

233 posts, read 93,765 times

Advertisements

Been to them all (just returned from Dubai last week). For this poll, I chose Tokyo. Love it. Different, futuristic AND traditional. People there have manners and class. It's safe. Efficient. And most of all....very, very different culturally from the U.S. (which I like).

Been to Hawaii several times and I just might relocate there. Dubai was interesting and I could live there as well (I think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 06:11 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,001,076 times
Out of these, I would pick Tokyo (am I allowed to consider Tokyo as the entire prefecture, the region, or what)?

Tokyo offers old and new, mountains and sea, bustle and quiet, etc, and effective networks for getting around, extremely safe, etc.

Out of this group, Paris would probably be 2nd. Paris would be competitive or at the top spot even if I could roam within a few hours or so of it (adding in SO MANY options).

Dubai would probably be third since I haven't been (only one of this group I haven't done) and it would certainly get me out of my comfort zone.

Las Vegas and Hawaii are roughly tied. If Las Vegas meant just staying in Vegas vs. exploring all of Hawaii, then definitely Hawaii, otherwise, Vegas probably has an edge for me as it's less restrictive in terms of how far I can go before I am at water (National Parks, Cities, etc.)

Rio de Janeiro would probably last at this point. I have been, briefly, and I can say that I was honestly somewhat disappointed. I didn't feel particularly safe, many of the core areas were not particularly pedestrian friendly, and even the nature (beaches, mountain trails, etc.) do not seem to be nearly as well maintained, advertised, or connected to the public in other similar mountain and sea cities (Hong Kong, Vancouver, etc.). That said, it is compelling enough a place that I'd be willing to give it a 2nd chance, but I'm not sure I'd want to stay there for the whole 2 weeks. Having the opportunity to go around to Manaus, Salvador, Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Foz do Iguacu, etc. would significantly up the ante for me.

I think Tokyo could probably be the only one of this group though where I could do all manner of variety of experiences etc., two weeks worth, without ever leaving the city (prefecture) limits.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:30 AM

5,460 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Vegas--been there, done that. No need to go back.

Paris--^ same as above.

Dubai--absolutely no interest going there.

Hawaii--I was just there, would do it again in a heartbeat. Not sure two weeks is necessary.

Rio--maybe one day when I have nothing else to see, not that interested.

I picked Japan--my friend just got back, his photographs are fabulous. It is a different Culture--would be interesting. I just would not do just Tokyo for two weeks--would like to do other areas of Japan.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:28 AM

3,876 posts, read 1,648,337 times
I chose Paris. I've never been to Europe, that seems like a good place to start.

Rio is very tempting. I love beaches and warm weather. I might enjoy it more than Paris.

Vegas and Hawaii are too familiar; Tokyo and Dubai are too alien.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 AM

21,164 posts, read 11,768,218 times
You've used different terminology - to me, a favorite is a place that you like to return to more than once. That's not the same thing as "pick your top choice for a money is no object vacation" which is more of a once in a life time thing.

Of the options on your list, Paris is my "favorite" - a place I've been to more than once, and could always be happy going back to again and again. However, I would pick Tokyo as my choice for the poll as a place I've always been interested in visiting but don't know that it will ever be in the budget.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 AM

1,480 posts, read 540,154 times
Toyoko and Dubai would be the top two choices, since I’ve always wanted to visit Japan and Dubai. Instead of hanging around the city, I’d want to explore off the beaten path.

Paris is nice, although I’d prefer the French countryside.

Vegas and Hawaii are familiar places, enjoyable but packed with tourists.

Never had an interest in seeing Rio.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,165,476 times
I chose Hawaii, but it was a toss up between there and Tokyo.

I have zero interest in going to the first four locations. (been to Vegas 5 times, enough)

Definitely not Dubai! The architecture and building developments would be amazing, but if I can't dress the way I want to/usually do, then I want nothing to do with visiting a country where I could get arrested in for wearing "provocative" clothing, thanks!

Old 04-14-2019, 02:15 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,598,125 times
I've visited all of them. I think your parameters are kind of skewed since Hawaii includes the whole state, whereas the rest would be just cities.
I was in Dubai once for 4 days on my way to South Africa. It was at least two days too long. The others I would gladly revisit but probably not for two whole weeks unless I could travel outside the specific cities.
Guess I will choose Hawaii since I live here and love it.

How about adding entire countries? I would vote for Australia. Can't wait to go back!

Old 04-14-2019, 02:55 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,010,111 times
None of the above.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:22 PM

5,452 posts, read 2,294,635 times
I'd go to any of them but Las Vegas, which is basically Disneyland for halfwits, greedheads, and d-bags.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 04-14-2019 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or