U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite on a vacation?
Las Vegas 0 0%
Rio de Janeiro 5 5.56%
Paris, France 26 28.89%
Dubai 4 4.44%
Tokyo, Japan 30 33.33%
Hawaii 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:31 PM

921 posts, read 338,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I chose Hawaii, but it was a toss up between there and Tokyo.

I have zero interest in going to the first four locations. (been to Vegas 5 times, enough)

Definitely not Dubai! The architecture and building developments would be amazing, but if I can't dress the way I want to/usually do, then I want nothing to do with visiting a country where I could get arrested in for wearing "provocative" clothing, thanks!
You can wear quite normal western clothes in Dubai. you would not wander around in swimwear but the same applies in many other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 03:47 PM

12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Tokyo.

Been to Vegas. Doesn't interest me anymore.

Rio. Friends live there so I wouldn't discount it, but it's never been high on my list.

Paris. I love France , but I've been to Paris too many times.

Dubai. Not interested.

Hawaii. Lovely spots, and will go back, but I prefer Mexico for my sun.

So Tokyo. Many friends have been and LOVE it. Having not to worry about a budget there would be amazing. Japan was my grandmothers favourite country that she visited and she travelled a lot.

Actually Japan is on my list of places to visit in the next few years, with a budget of course

Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 PM

2,553 posts, read 1,648,555 times
None

Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 PM

1,941 posts, read 942,574 times
Las Vegas - No interest in going there unless I am forced to go for meetings. max 2 days.

Dubai - Not more than 2 days. Same for Tokyo. I would rather see the countryside of Japan.

Hawaii- one week would do it for me. I am not a beach person.

Rio - No wish to go there except to see the statue of Jesus.

Paris - I can see myself relaxing and seeing all the sights slowly even though I have been there before.

Have been to 4 of the 6 places. My ideal place for a 2 week vacation would be the North and South islands of New Zealand.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:31 AM

13,981 posts, read 7,452,675 times
If "money no object" means business class tickets on the nonstop JAL Boston-Tokyo Dreamliner, a nice hotel suite, and a $300/day dining budget so I can eat in good restaurants half my meals, I'd pick Tokyo.

If it's my more typical travel budget, I'm doing the British Airways morning flight from Boston to Heathrow in an economy aisle seat, a night in London, and Eurostar to Paris the next day. An AirBnB studio apartment maybe in the 6eme Arrondissment. A few nice meals. I've been to Paris many times and all over France but I'd have no problem occupying myself for two weeks. With the TGV and RER for more local places, it's easy to do a few day trips with train & Uber/rental car. Tours to do the Loire is an hour on the TGV. Dijon to do Burgundy is 90 minutes on the TGV.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 PM

5,765 posts, read 4,186,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
What would you do with the remaining 13 days in Dubai?

Me, I'd pick Paris because you can get on a train or rent a car and be in France in 30 minutes.
Hmm? the last time I checked, Paris was IN France.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 PM

3,213 posts, read 3,206,003 times
I think another poster mentioned it being a toss up between Hawaii and Tokyo...that's how I feel.

My gut instinct was to pick Tokyo.

I've been to Tokyo, Hawaii, Paris and Dubai. Personally I would not need anywhere near two weeks in Dubai but that's just me. I have no interest in Rio. Never been to Vegas but I definitely don't see that being a place I'd want to stay for two weeks. I'm thinking 4 days max for a Vegas trip...maybe I'll make it there within the next couple years but it's pretty low on the list.

I've been to Tokyo but didn't get the chance to stay long. I would love to return. I have a sibling that was living there at the time and it was great to have a tour guide there who I happened to be related to. I also have a colleague living there at the moment; work sent her there and she's been there a year and a half. Is in love with it. It's by far the most 'interesting' place I've ever been, and although I haven't traveled to that many places, I think it's one of the most interesting places I will have ever seen.

After visiting Kaui, Hawaii has a special place in my heart. I've been to Oahu a few times as well when a relative was living there. Maybe it's because I love beaches/the sound of the ocean. There's just something about going to beaches that are off the beaten path that is so refreshing and rejuvenating. Just being able to sit on the shore and watch the waves...marvel at the little crabs coming out of the sand, I can literally sit on the beach for a few hours and just zone out. Also, some of the local food in Hawaii can't be beat (I'm a foodie); I love me some poke! I like the weather in Hawaii. I've had very mixed experiences with the locals but the positive experiences have been like overwhelmingly positive; something about that Aloha spirit. Hawaii is like one of those "happy places"...who wouldn't want to spend two weeks there?

As for Tokyo, also a foodie's paradise IMO. It's just one of those places I feel you have to see/experience at least once in your lifetime. I found the city to be crazy clean and overall just a fun place with lot of sights all around to marvel at. I may pick between the two and come back and answer the poll...you're making me wish I had two weeks off right now to go to one of these places

Old 05-01-2019, 12:39 AM

17,318 posts, read 19,591,548 times
I'm a little surprised that Hawaii got so many votes. Personally, I am not much of an island or beach person. I have been to Puerto Rico and it was just okay.

But I put Hawaii in there for its extraordinary beauty. I will probably visit someday, I guess.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:26 AM

32,127 posts, read 33,037,268 times
I haven't been to Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro, Hawaii or Dubai. I would probably choose the first three in that order as I would never consider Dubai.

I have been to Paris twice - once as a child with my parents and once as a young adult with a tour group. More recently I changed planes there due to a strike that caused me to take Air France rather than my original carrier and would have been nice to be able to see the city again but not necessary.

I have changed planes several times in Las Vegas and the only reason for me to visit this city would to use as a base from which to go to the Grand Canyon (which I haven't been to) and/or the Hoover Dam (also never been to).

Old 05-02-2019, 08:17 PM

26,044 posts, read 33,056,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You have 2 weeks to stay at one of these destinations.

Which would you go to and why?
Paris in a heartbeat. Love love love it. Love the people too.
I'd like to back to Tokyo too, one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or