U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2019, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,752 posts, read 4,165,476 times
Reputation: 15476

Advertisements

This sounds like a BS story to me.

These lines make NO sense...
Quote:
" According to Stockbridge's account, the group was forced to leave the terminal to retrieve their baggage, as some students needed access to medication stored there.

"We had no choice but to go to baggage claim, which then locked us out of the terminal and put us right next to the street — in Chicago,"
What was preventing them from going back through the airport to the American Airlines Departures area and sitting in the Departures seats waiting area, rather than laying on the floor in the baggage retrieval area? They must ALL have been very stupid in not thinking of this.

Also, you are told to NEVER pack medications in your checked luggage. Dah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 AM
 
5,459 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Reputation: 24501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Why couldn't they, after they travelled en masse to the baggage claim, have gone back through security?
Because there is no way to check their bags again. There is no Staff there to check their bags again, even if there were, TSA is gone for the night. Machines shut down.

Airline Employees cannot go through Passengers' bags to get medication. EVEN if they could, they cannot bring it back up to a secure area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2019, 07:11 AM
 
5,459 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Reputation: 24501
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

What was preventing them from going back through the airport to the American Airlines Departures area and sitting in the Departures seats waiting area, rather than laying on the floor in the baggage retrieval area? They must ALL have been very stupid in not thinking of this.
According to the article it was late at night. TSA is shut down. No way to get to the other side again. AND their boarding passes would be for the next day. One can only go through TSA for same day travel.

TSA shuts down after the last departure of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2019, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
11,602 posts, read 3,970,957 times
Reputation: 7178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
My opinion may be different from most of those commenting on the article.

While I do find the trend about whining and attempting to shame on social media exceptionally annoying, and wonder why no one on this trip was prepared for such a situation (credit card, extra cash, etc.), I'm surprised American didn't fully comp rooms for them. It's not their fault the flight was cancelled late at night and they were stuck there in an uncomfortable situation.

I've had flights cancelled before, but it was in the middle of the day, not at night in some dump.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/high...173626823.html
It all depends on whether the flight was cancelled because of an airline error or something that was unavoidable and therefore not the airlines fault.

In terms of complimentary food and accomodation that would depend on how far from home you are, whether the flight is short or long haul, how long you are going to be delayed, whether it is during the day or night and other such issues.

I would have thought most reputable airlines would have offered accomodation in such circumstances and given the age of those involved.

In Europe and other parts of the world certain compensation and amenities must be offered by law, and in this case in Europe they would have been liable for a further $450 compensation per passenger, given the distance and length of delay.

Claim compensation if your flight's delayed or cancelled - Citizens Advice (UK)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,822 posts, read 33,206,690 times
Reputation: 13610
I've slept in an airport terminal. It's not the worst thing in the world. High school kids probably enjoyed the adventure. The outrage probably comes from their parents not understanding airline rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2019, 09:34 AM
 
5,459 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Reputation: 24501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I would have thought most reputable airlines would have offered accomodation in such circumstances and given the age of those involved.
I work for a reputable airline. We do compensate when it is our fault. Weather we have no control over. Age cannot be a factor for compensation for weather delays. That is discrimination.

And there you have it--in the UK article you posted:

"You’re unlikely to get compensation if the delay was because of something outside the airline’s control, like bad weather or a security risk".

So it looks like it is the same in the UK as it is here. An airline would have to go out of business if they had to compensate for every weather delay. So no, they would not have been compensated in Europe. All over that article it repeats many times, "if it is the airline's fault for the delay".

Do you have any clue how many youth groups travel every day?? An airline cannot discriminate due to age. It cannot pick to compensate for weather because of a certain age. That would be discrimination.

Last edited by GiGi603; 04-14-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Land of the Great Bears
3,484 posts, read 1,912,254 times
Reputation: 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I've slept in an airport terminal. It's not the worst thing in the world. High school kids probably enjoyed the adventure. The outrage probably comes from their parents not understanding airline rules.
Me too, several times. If layover isn't very long it beats the hell out of waiting for a shuttle bus for transportation to an overpriced hotel room, then going through TSA again in a few hours.

I believe Airlines used to pay for weather delays, at least around here, but that ended over 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2019, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
11,602 posts, read 3,970,957 times
Reputation: 7178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I work for a reputable airline. We do compensate when it is our fault. Weather we have no control over. Age cannot be a factor for compensation for weather delays. That is discrimination.



And there you have it--in the UK article you posted:

"You’re unlikely to get compensation if the delay was because of something outside the airline’s control, like bad weather or a security risk".

So it looks like it is the same in the UK as it is here. An airline would have to go out of business if they had to compensate for every weather delay. So no, they would not have been compensated in Europe. All over that article it repeats many times, "if it is the airline's fault for the delay".

Do you have any clue how many youth groups travel every day?? An airline cannot discriminate due to age. It cannot pick to compensate for weather because of a certain age. That would be discrimination.
If it's a technical error on their behalf or they have over booked the aircraft, then you will receive compensation and accomodation in many countries and even if it is an issue out of the airlines hands if you are stuck at an airport you would expect a decent airline to at least offer free refereshments.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-14-2019 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2019, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,066 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Reputation: 24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
if you are stuck at an airport you would expect a decent airline to at least offer free refereshments.
How CAN they? EVERYTHING in the airport was closed.

I agree that the kids probably had fun. I wonder about the prescription drug part of this story. How many kids (or adults) are on a Rx medication that cannot have a 12 hour delayed dose.

Yes, its the parents "outrage" here, but I'm guessing that they had the bright idea to use social media to embarrass the airline into giving them SOMETHING after the incident. Look at how far this story has spread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2019, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,068 posts, read 1,468,798 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
If it's a technical error on their behalf or they have over booked the aircraft, then you will receive compensation and accomodation in many countries and even if it is an issue out of the airlines hands if you are stuck at an airport you would expect a decent airline to at least offer free refereshments.
Why even mention a hypothetical case where it's the airline's fault? That doesn't apply to this case and nobody is saying that an airline would not be responsible for providing compensation in such case. This was a cancelled flight with a replacement flight the next morning due to bad weather. Refreshments? This is an airline, not a catering service. I think most people would survive if they missed a meal. You also said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In Europe and other parts of the world certain compensation and amenities must be offered by law, and in this case in Europe they would have been liable for a further $450 compensation per passenger, given the distance and length of delay.
Even this does not seem to be correct based on the link you provided since the cancellation was not the responsibility of the airline. Why don't you just admit you were wrong instead of stating something (hypothetical situation where it's the airline's fault) that has nothing to do with the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top