U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:07 AM

37 posts, read 16,838 times

Advertisements

Recently I was traveling and my evening flight home was canceled due to weather. It was the last scheduled flight of the evening and because the flight cancellation was weather related the airline would not pay for a hotel.

I went on my phone and checked the rates of hotels nearby so I could get some sleep before taking my rescheduled flight the next day. Every hotel within 10 miles that was reasonably priced was sold out and the only places available were four-star business hotels and resorts that cost $250 or more a night, so I spent the long and miserable night at the airport. From 8 PM to 10 AM the next day (14 hours).

When I finally got home I told my story to friends and relatives and they told me that because I had paid for my airfare using a Mastercard by Chase I likely had travel insurance that would have paid for a hotel up to $500 a night under trip delay or interruption coverage.

Do you think the Credit Card travel insurance would really pay for my hotel that night when my evening flight was canceled due to weather and I had to wait 14 hours for my next flight? Have you used credit card sponsored travel insurance for a hotel when your evening flight was canceled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 AM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Nothing in my wallet has that kind of travel insurance benefit. Without listing the specific Chase card, it's impossible to say.

I can't imagine using my phone to try to book a short notice hotel room. Any hotel is going to give you their rack rate price.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:53 AM

2,097 posts, read 715,328 times
It's possible if you have an airline-branded credit card or maybe one of the high-end $450 cards AND you charge your flight to that card. I was going to check the provisions of my AA MasterCard but the Citibank site is having issues.

I'm in the fortunate position of being retired (so arriving home a day late isn't an issue with the job) and being able to foot the bill to avoid having to sleep on the airport floor (and hey, I'm 66!) although I would have been pretty sick at paying $250+ per night. That's the problem with weather delays, though- EVERYONE is looking for a hotel so why should they offer a discount? When I'm on a major trip and getting someplace is mission-critical (to meet a ship or start a group tour) I buy separate insurance.

Definitely check your credit card conditions for next time.

ETA: Just out of curiosity I checked the Chase site. The "vanilla" cards with no annual fee and cash back don't have travel benefits. The Marriott Bonvoy card would cover and so would Chase Sapphire Preferred; none of the Southwest cards cover but the United cards do. It's all over the place.

Don't feel bad if you missed out. Plenty of us who travel frequently are so savvy because we leaned things the hard way!

Last edited by athena53; 04-14-2019 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 AM

905 posts, read 465,223 times
The only Chase issued Mastercard currently is the IHG Rewards Club and this card has the protection coverage. If the airline ticket was purchased using the card your hotel may be covered. As always there is the fine print you have to read, meaning look for exclusions in your agreement/benefits. Your documentation, dates, times, reason for cancellation etc.... is key when doing these claims. Yes, if it meets the terms, they pay.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 04-14-2019 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 12:00 PM

3,360 posts, read 2,831,430 times
My Citi Prestige MasterCard has that benefit, but I've never needed it. I believe the Chase Sapphire Reserve (Visa) also has it.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:05 AM

37 posts, read 16,838 times
I read an article about a reporter who went and interviewed people sleeping at the airport after storms hit the community and flights were cancelled, and most people did not know that their credit cards likely had travel insurance that would pay for a hotel and other expenses if their flight was cancelled and they were stuck overnight.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:04 AM

2,097 posts, read 715,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recently laid off View Post
I read an article about a reporter who went and interviewed people sleeping at the airport after storms hit the community and flights were cancelled, and most people did not know that their credit cards likely had travel insurance that would pay for a hotel and other expenses if their flight was cancelled and they were stuck overnight.
"Likely" is probably too strong a word. It seems to be mostly the ones with annual fees. I just checked the provisions of my Fidelity Visa, which is a straight 2% cash back and no annual fees- there are no travel insurance benefits. And, as I noted earlier, a check of the Chase products turned up many with no travel insurance benefits. Even the ones on my AA MC apply only if I charged the trip expenses on that card.

But it's certainly worth investigating if you're about to be stuck in the airport overnight.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:32 AM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

But it's certainly worth investigating if you're about to be stuck in the airport overnight.

When you consider how often this might happen, it kind of makes no sense to have a fee-based card unless you're using other perks on the card. I'm a road warrior. I miss connections at hubs occasionally. When I get stranded and I'm doing leisure travel, my first stop is the airline customer service counter to have them book me a hotel room at their negotiated rate. They buy an enormous amount of rooms for flight crews and I'm not going to be able to get a better rate. If that fails, I run through the usual list of hotel tricks I do for any travel. Every hotel chain has a long list of discount codes that are a Google search away.

I honor the 11th Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Pay Rack Rate.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,177,423 times
I've used my Chase Sapphire Reserve for this. Thunderstorms cancelled flight coming back from MKE.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:16 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've used my Chase Sapphire Reserve for this. Thunderstorms cancelled flight coming back from MKE.
Awesome. For those reading your benefits, this would fall under trip delay insurance. Not the general insurance provisions.

From the card:

The Reserve will cover the cardholder, the cardholder’s spouse or domestic partner and dependent children under the age of 22 for up to $500 for each purchased ticket. The $500 is limited to one covered incident per trip. In order to be eligible, the trip must be away from the cardholder’s city of residence and less than 365 days in length. In addition, you must have purchased the ticket with your Reserve card or with Ultimate Rewards points earned from the card.
What exactly is covered? Chase defines reimbursable expenses as those incurred for meals, lodging, toiletries, medication and other personal use items. It doesn’t cover prepaid expenses or any covered hazard delay that was made public or known prior to the departure of the covered trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or