Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 01:59 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I think the Outer Banks as a whole is pretty vanilla. You'd be hard pressed to find any sketch.
Thanks! Might be a bit too far north for winter or early spring. Probably great in late spring or early fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,788,050 times
Cayman Islands

Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,073 times
MYrtle is very sketchy. Very. I think North Myrtle might be better.

I was surprised at how sketchy Niagra Falls Ontario was. I’d been there a few times 15+ years ago and never felt unsafe. Went 2 years ago in April with my daughter and it was the only time I felt unsafe. Worse than getting lost in Chicago. I was followed around an indoor water park by three men in their 30s-50s leering at me and making it clear with their looking and body language what they thought of my swimsuit- and I’m not anything worth following Looking around and realized there was no one but teenage life guards to help me if they got worse. Walking around it was dead and seemed run down. Sad, I loved it when I was younger and really looked forward to sharing with my daughter. Won’t go back without my husband.

We went to Rehoboth Beach 5-6 years ago and I didn’t see any sketchy areas there. Walked around by ourselves (myself and my daughter) until 10 pm without any bad run ins.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:24 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,073 times
I’m subscribing to this thread to see the insights on islands. I have similar travel requests- I find it hard to enjoy a vacation while seeing the poverty the local population is subjected to. And I love to just take off and explore- I would not enjoy a cruise or a vacation confined to a resort. My family really wants to go to the Caribbean (I want Hawaii but I’ve been outvoted) so I’m looking for the best island to visit. Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and Haiti are obviously out.

Right now I’m leaning towards USVI, BVI, Turks and cacos, St. Martin, or Grabd Caymen.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:34 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Cayman Islands

Yup. We've been three times and have never encountered anything remotely scary... on the beach, in Georgetown, or driving around the island. First time was a trip with our school-aged kids, so I did a lot of reading to find an island that was safe. Grand Cayman is what we chose.

If price is an issue, visit after the winter guests leave (in April I believe). May/June is a good timeframe to find cheaper hotels, but still have very minimal risk of a hurricane. We've usually gone in late June or early July.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:40 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
As someone who lives adjacent to a well-regarded tourism area, there's always a sketchy area when you get a lot of under-25 service industry workers living close together and doing what young people do. But if you don't go looking for that trouble area where the 'kids' get their drugs and such, you're not likely to know it exists.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I’m subscribing to this thread to see the insights on islands. I have similar travel requests- I find it hard to enjoy a vacation while seeing the poverty the local population is subjected to. And I love to just take off and explore- I would not enjoy a cruise or a vacation confined to a resort. My family really wants to go to the Caribbean (I want Hawaii but I’ve been outvoted) so I’m looking for the best island to visit. Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and Haiti are obviously out.

Right now I’m leaning towards USVI, BVI, Turks and cacos, St. Martin, or Grabd Caymen.
The US Virgin Islands has an amazingly high number of murders, per capita. Really messed up.
Turks and Caicos is getting out of hand, it appears.
Cayman Islands are good, I'm quite sure.
I've heard various things about St. Martin.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Yup. We've been three times and have never encountered anything remotely scary... on the beach, in Georgetown, or driving around the island. First time was a trip with our school-aged kids, so I did a lot of reading to find an island that was safe. Grand Cayman is what we chose.

If price is an issue, visit after the winter guests leave (in April I believe). May/June is a good timeframe to find cheaper hotels, but still have very minimal risk of a hurricane. We've usually gone in late June or early July.
Thanks!

Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Nova Scotia has some places that fit my bill, I know. But like I said, when it's nice here (May to October), I tend to stay close to home. Maybe we'll do a long weekend to NS this summer.
Halifax is probably the toughest town in Canada.

Someone mentioned Newfoundland, where the sketchy characters around Brazil Square were well-known and colorful, but Ive heard that Dublin-type street punks were becoming a problem.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
I'm curious why you don't seem to be interested in Bethany Beach (or Rehoboth). Delaware temps are usually in the upper 60s, and sometimes in the 70s in April. You have spring flowers, the restaurants have opened again once spring break is past, and the crowds are still fairly low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel