U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:58 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,908,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I'm curious why you don't seem to be interested in Bethany Beach (or Rehoboth). Delaware temps are usually in the upper 60s, and sometimes in the 70s in April. You have spring flowers, the restaurants have opened again once spring break is past, and the crowds are still fairly low.
To be honest, I had to look it up! (Thought it was in Jersey......lol)

70s in April sounds good. I know nothing about the town or area, but will look into it. What's the sketchiness level in that area?

Added: it looks pretty nice, with little sketchiness. (Although it's not a whole lot warmer than the beach towns in Maine in June or July. And not warm enough in March or April to do a beach trip.)

Last edited by maineguy8888; 04-15-2019 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
As someone who lives adjacent to a well-regarded tourism area, there's always a sketchy area when you get a lot of under-25 service industry workers living close together and doing what young people do. But if you don't go looking for that trouble area where the 'kids' get their drugs and such, you're not likely to know it exists.
This is true. In many touristy areas, the "mess" spreads outside that little, confined area. I have been to places where that mess is taking over. (I have also been places where you really DO have to look hard to find the "mess").

Old 04-16-2019, 04:22 AM

688 posts, read 158,449 times
The Black Hills in South Dakota, Custer State Park (within the Black Hills), Badlands NP, also in SD. I sensed zero sketchiness there. The entire state of North Dakota was non-sketchy, even though I suppose most people would not vacation there, but I liked it.

I realize you’re looking for someplace east of the Mississippi, and the locations I mentioned have winters similar to where you live, but that’s all I can think regarding no sketchiness, that’s hard to find nowadays.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:31 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,651,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
To be honest, I had to look it up! (Thought it was in Jersey......lol)

70s in April sounds good. I know nothing about the town or area, but will look into it. What's the sketchiness level in that area?

Added: it looks pretty nice, with little sketchiness. (Although it's not a whole lot warmer than the beach towns in Maine in June or July. And not warm enough in March or April to do a beach trip.)
Might be a little chilly to go swimming. Nice time of year for walking on the beach and looking at sunrises, though. If you just want to go on picnics or sit on the beach or otherwise do things where you can wear a shirt or sweatshirt, you should be fine. One reason people go to Bethany and Rehoboth is to see the spring migration. It's a major stop for many species of birds, so it can get pretty impressive (if bird watching is an interest). If you're into kayaking, you'd probably want to wait until the end of April to make sure the water temps are warm enough.

Bethany is about as tame as a beach city gets. Rehoboth gets a spring break crowd, and that particular week it can get a little rowdy. Other than that, it's pretty crime free (although a little livelier than Bethany, if that's something you'd like to avoid).

Old 04-16-2019, 06:12 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,827,564 times
Japan, South Korea, etc.

Kids walk miles to school without a hair on their head being harmed

Old 04-16-2019, 06:20 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,651,021 times
Why not take the family on a Caribbean cruise? That seems like a way to enjoy the warmth of the Caribbean in April without spending much time in sketchy areas.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Why not take the family on a Caribbean cruise? That seems like a way to enjoy the warmth of the Caribbean in April without spending much time in sketchy areas.
You know, that's not a bad idea. I know that at most stops, the cruisers stay in a few, nice "touristy" areas onshore....Maybe I'll give in (I've always resisted the cruise phenomenon.......always preferred to actually GO to a place and explore it.....)

Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 AM

935 posts, read 1,056,196 times
Quote:
Iíve never done a cruise but my family is pushing hard for one. Just sounds dreadful to me- crowded with people, no place to relax away from crowds. And Iím very nervous about kids being everywhere to the point theyíre overwhelming. Just had this at a hotel- literally 20 kids in the hot tub so adults couldnít get in and relax.

I love the concept of a cruise but as a somewhat intro erred person I worry it would be too much. Can anyone attest to the crowd size?

-keep in mind Iím a teacher and can only go on winter and spring breaks (third week of February and second or third week of April)

Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 AM

9,357 posts, read 6,251,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Crime, run-down, unfriendly people, weird people.
I'd probably stay home if I were you.

There is no place on earth that is totally safe or devoid of unfriendly and weird people except, POSSIBLY, your home

Old 04-16-2019, 09:35 AM

2,905 posts, read 1,583,756 times
The Hamptons & north fork of Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or