U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 10:15 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,915,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Iíve never done a cruise but my family is pushing hard for one. Just sounds dreadful to me- crowded with people, no place to relax away from crowds. And Iím very nervous about kids being everywhere to the point theyíre overwhelming. Just had this at a hotel- literally 20 kids in the hot tub so adults couldnít get in and relax.

I love the concept of a cruise but as a somewhat intro erred person I worry it would be too much. Can anyone attest to the crowd size?

-keep in mind Iím a teacher and can only go on winter and spring breaks (third week of February and second or third week of April)
I agree, being stuck on a boat with 1,000 possibly-obnoxious people has always worried me.
Maybe a smaller boat would work better? But then you don't get as many fun activities for the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'd probably stay home if I were you.

There is no place on earth that is totally safe or devoid of unfriendly and weird people except, POSSIBLY, your home
No, I didn't say totally safe or devoid of those people . I even gave some examples of places I have been that didn't really have any sketchy parts of town. I could always go back to one of those places, but I like to try new areas.

(I should add, I'm a licensed clinical social worker, so I HAVE to deal with "crap" all day, every day.......lol. I like to totally get away from dysfunctional stuff from time to time, such as on vacation.)

Old 04-16-2019, 11:27 AM

12,124 posts, read 6,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
Tons of opioid issues on Mass. North Shore.
Lots of junkies roaming around Manchester-by-the-Sea.

North shore covers a bit of territory.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:39 AM

1,914 posts, read 962,322 times
If you're looking for a safe/vanilla/white bread island, you can't beat the Cayman's, specifically Georgetown. I'm not sure that there are even any poor people there. I sure didn't see any when I was there.

The beaches are lovely, the water is gin-clear, and the food is good. There are touristy things to do. It's a little on the pricy side, though.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:24 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,168,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I think the Outer Banks as a whole is pretty vanilla. You'd be hard pressed to find any sketch.
This was going to be one of my suggestions, too. And there so many things to do there. We go every year for 2 weeks and we still haven't discovered all the interesting things to do.

Beaver Island, in Lake Michigan is a nice place to visit in the summer months. Not a place that has tons and tons to do, but if you like outdoorsy things, there's plenty of that. I am pretty sure their crime rate is close to 0.

Brevard in North Carolina is also another nice town with less crime than a lot of the mountain towns. It's got a great downtown area and lots of hiking (and hundreds of waterfalls) nearby.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:46 PM

5,677 posts, read 3,651,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
St. John in the usvi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The murder statistics in the USVI are unbelievably high.

The murder rate in the USVI is very heavily skewed by St. Croix, and almost as much by St. Thomas. St. John is an entirely separate island. I have not been there, but friends who have say it's wonderful.

Someone mentioned Bermuda, and I heartily concur. I don't recall any sketchy areas there, and I went from one side of the island to the other. It's not inexpensive, though.

As for places in the Caribbean that I'm familiar with, Grand Cayman was the least sketchy, by far. I felt no trepidation at all in Georgetown or the area along Seven Mile Beach. The northern part of the West End had some areas that were run-down, maybe enough to be considered sketchy. I never made it to the eastern side of the island so I can't comment on that.

Next on my list would be Saint Martin. This was something of a mixed bag. There were parts that were poor and run-down (though not necessarily sketchy in the way that many poor areas feel) but other parts looked nice. In general, the western half of the island felt much nicer than the eastern half.

And . . . well, that's pretty much it for me. The other parts of the Caribbean that I've seen all had sketchy areas. Unless you want to count the cruise-line private islands in the Bahamas. (Which are wonderful, and are a good reason to take a Caribbean cruise.)

Old 04-16-2019, 12:49 PM

629 posts, read 493,127 times
A few random suggestions:

Aruba
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Cape May, NJ

Old 04-16-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
If you're looking for a safe/vanilla/white bread island, you can't beat the Cayman's, specifically Georgetown. I'm not sure that there are even any poor people there. I sure didn't see any when I was there.

The beaches are lovely, the water is gin-clear, and the food is good. There are touristy things to do. It's a little on the pricy side, though.
Thanks, Jamary!

Old 04-16-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The murder rate in the USVI is very heavily skewed by St. Croix, and almost as much by St. Thomas. St. John is an entirely separate island. I have not been there, but friends who have say it's wonderful.

Someone mentioned Bermuda, and I heartily concur. I don't recall any sketchy areas there, and I went from one side of the island to the other. It's not inexpensive, though.

As for places in the Caribbean that I'm familiar with, Grand Cayman was the least sketchy, by far. I felt no trepidation at all in Georgetown or the area along Seven Mile Beach. The northern part of the West End had some areas that were run-down, maybe enough to be considered sketchy. I never made it to the eastern side of the island so I can't comment on that.

Next on my list would be Saint Martin. This was something of a mixed bag. There were parts that were poor and run-down (though not necessarily sketchy in the way that many poor areas feel) but other parts looked nice. In general, the western half of the island felt much nicer than the eastern half.

And . . . well, that's pretty much it for me. The other parts of the Caribbean that I've seen all had sketchy areas. Unless you want to count the cruise-line private islands in the Bahamas. (Which are wonderful, and are a good reason to take a Caribbean cruise.)
Great, thanks!!

Old 04-16-2019, 01:05 PM

3,619 posts, read 1,561,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I have no fear of going to vacation places that are sketchy around the edges....I have been to quite a few. I would just like our next trip to be totally free of all that. I'm looking for eastern US or Caribbean.

Examples of places that were sketchy in certain areas: Daytona Beach, Oahu, Dominican Republic, Washington DC, Phoenix, Jacksonville, Miami, Mobile, Savannah, Atlanta, Fort Lauderdale, and I think Barbados (although I can't really remember it too well).

A few places that had no sketchiness were Tybee Island, Key Largo, Alligator Point, and Sedona. Possibly Lake Powell too, although we weren't there for long.

I have no interest in Orlando. Most of the islands are automatic rule outs (Google Earth is great). I could go back to someplace we've already been but would prefer to try something new. It can't be super-exclusive because we're not rich.

Any ideas? (And does any one else also get tired of going places that have sketchy areas just outside the touristy areas....or maybe even mixed in with them?)
Do you have a budget for Hawaii? Friendly, touristy and beautiful. The locals dont trouble the visitors. In some parts of the town, you can have whole beach for yourself. And its still within the US with all the rules, safety etc.

Western side if sketchy with hots of homeless people living in tents, drugs etc but if you pay no attention you should be safe .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or