U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:07 PM

5,484 posts, read 3,927,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
A few random suggestions:

Aruba
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Cape May, NJ
Ah, Aruba.......I have heard it's nice and it never comes on the radar of high-crime islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 01:15 PM

629 posts, read 494,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Ah, Aruba.......I have heard it's nice and it never comes on the radar of high-crime islands.

It's very nice and very safe. We rented an SUV and drove all over the island with my then 18 month old daughter. We got lost once and stopped in a grocery store, and a local told us to follow his car and he'd take us to the tourist attraction we were looking for. He led us right there and wouldn't accept my offer to give him money - just wanted a thank you. Aruba is awesome.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM

5,719 posts, read 3,671,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I agree, being stuck on a boat with 1,000 possibly-obnoxious people has always worried me.
It would worry me too. But no one is suggesting you cram yourself onto a BOAT with 1,000 people; we're suggesting you take a voyage on a SHIP. And yes, they are absolutely NOT the same thing.

It is not only possible, but indeed not all that difficult, to take a cruise on a ship that carries 2,000 passengers, and yet still be able to find quiet venues where you might be all alone, or with only a small handful of others. The key is to think about what would be the most popular activities at various times of the day, and go elsewhere. Hang out inside during the daytime and outside at night. Eat lunch in the main dining room and dinner in the buffet. And so on. In any case, if you're looking to spend time in the Caribbean without the sketchiness, cruising is a great way to do it.

Cruise lines have their own personalities, and not all of them draw obnoxious people. In fact, I don't recall running into any such people on any of the six cruises I've been on so far (one Disney, the rest Royal Caribbean). Go for at least 7 days; it's the shorter weekend cruises that tend to draw the excessive partiers. Oh, and avoid Carnival. (OK, this is going by reputation; I have no first-hand experience with them.)

To be sure, cruising is not for everyone. But it sounds like you have a preconceived notion of what it would be like that, frankly, isn't borne out by the typical reality.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:19 PM

2,769 posts, read 6,433,473 times
Ocracoke Island, NC
Duck or Corolla, NC
Hatteras Village, NC
Topsail Island, NC
Bald Head Island, NC
(I've never been to Hilton Head or Kiawah, they might be worth checking out)
Jekyll Island, GA
Sea Island, GA
Blowing Rock, NC
Cashiers/Highlands area, NC
St. Augustine, FL
Damascus, VA
Abingdon, VA

Old 04-16-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
It's very nice and very safe. We rented an SUV and drove all over the island with my then 18 month old daughter. We got lost once and stopped in a grocery store, and a local told us to follow his car and he'd take us to the tourist attraction we were looking for. He led us right there and wouldn't accept my offer to give him money - just wanted a thank you. Aruba is awesome.
That is absolutely fantastic.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It would worry me too. But no one is suggesting you cram yourself onto a BOAT with 1,000 people; we're suggesting you take a voyage on a SHIP. And yes, they are absolutely NOT the same thing.

It is not only possible, but indeed not all that difficult, to take a cruise on a ship that carries 2,000 passengers, and yet still be able to find quiet venues where you might be all alone, or with only a small handful of others. The key is to think about what would be the most popular activities at various times of the day, and go elsewhere. Hang out inside during the daytime and outside at night. Eat lunch in the main dining room and dinner in the buffet. And so on. In any case, if you're looking to spend time in the Caribbean without the sketchiness, cruising is a great way to do it.

Cruise lines have their own personalities, and not all of them draw obnoxious people. In fact, I don't recall running into any such people on any of the six cruises I've been on so far (one Disney, the rest Royal Caribbean). Go for at least 7 days; it's the shorter weekend cruises that tend to draw the excessive partiers. Oh, and avoid Carnival. (OK, this is going by reputation; I have no first-hand experience with them.)

To be sure, cruising is not for everyone. But it sounds like you have a preconceived notion of what it would be like that, frankly, isn't borne out by the typical reality.
That's great information! I can see where the shorter cruises/cheaper ones might attract obnoxious louts........lol. I think our kids would love being on a big boat..........I mean ship!!

Old 04-16-2019, 07:03 PM

1,940 posts, read 2,476,532 times
You mentioned Myrtle Beach (and it is very sketchy on the south end), and Tybee Island. What about the beaches around Charleston, SC? Edisto Island is laid back but offers the state park. Dolphins appear while kayaking. Rentals are reasonable. Not sketchy at all.
Folly Beach (not Folly Island, different place) is good for families & very much like Tybee as far as lively. Not sketchy. Lots of activities for the kids nearby, just off island too. Rental prices higher than Edisto but not out of sight.
With both places, you get the city of Charleston as a day trip. Lots to see for free.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
You mentioned Myrtle Beach (and it is very sketchy on the south end), and Tybee Island. What about the beaches around Charleston, SC? Edisto Island is laid back but offers the state park. Dolphins appear while kayaking. Rentals are reasonable. Not sketchy at all.
Folly Beach (not Folly Island, different place) is good for families & very much like Tybee as far as lively. Not sketchy. Lots of activities for the kids nearby, just off island too. Rental prices higher than Edisto but not out of sight.
With both places, you get the city of Charleston as a day trip. Lots to see for free.
I think we only spent two nights in Isle of Palms, but it was nice. No issues. We did a little sightseeing iin Charleston. I think I 'd like to go back to IoP for a longer visit. Late winter/April is pretty decent weather there.

(By the way.....I don't golf on vacation, so not looking for that. I also don't mind staying inland; in fact I usually try to break up our trips so they're half on the beach and half inland).

Last edited by maineguy8888; 04-16-2019 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 08:39 PM

5,962 posts, read 6,872,576 times
The gulf coast of the Tampa Bay area. St Pete Beach up to Clearwater.

Heck, even St Pete itself is very clean and devoid of street begging and visible homelessness, at least in the main downtown area. It's almost eerie for such a big American city to be missing that grittiness.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:02 AM

11,789 posts, read 6,331,998 times
Petoskey, Michigan, though its not in the Caribbean or eastern USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or