U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 PM

276 posts, read 81,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
OK, let me get this straight. You drive about 50,000 to 60,000 miles a year. In all this time crisscrossing the good ol' USA you have had multiple experiences of trying to find a hotel/motel room in small towns and them being sold out of rooms?

With the amount of miles you have driven and seemingly length of time doing so, have you ever noticed a correlation between population density / tourist destination and hotel/ motel room availability?
Is it possible you wait to long to find a hotel / motel room late in evening?

The times I have had this happen to me during road trips, it was usually because an unknown event was occurring nearby that took a massive amount of inventory. I had this happen long ago traveling through W.V. when there was a coal industry convention in Beckley and I ended up driving on another 60 miles to find a place.

What I don't understand, and forgive me if someone else brought this up or you mentioned it somewhere, but as someone who uses coupons in rest stop plaza tourist books, you would be better off getting a AAA membership and picking up the free AAA guide books and maps, which I believe still have coupons / discounts at participating hospitality establishments and actually doing just a little bit of planning.

If you are that inflexible to vary your sleepover destination to find the nearest available in adjacent larger cities or major travel thoroughfares on your trips, you may need an emotional intelligence check. Hospitality industry facilities have metrics of occupancy, average daily rate, and average revenue per available room, while municipalities have building codes to insure a requisite size building for the municipality. These factors will always trump your personal desires for abundant inventory of rooms.

Your hyperbole is exceptionally hilarious!

I never thought I would find the equivalent in an auto driver to my NON Auto driving sibling who constantly complains about the failure of public transit options to meet HER personal requirements and timelines - you sir, have made my day, thank you for the hearty laughter you have caused.

I wish you all the best in your travels - godspeed!
Usually I am able to get hotel rooms, or I sleep in my car at rest stops, but I was just really frustrated earlier this week when I wasn't able to get hotel rooms in Ohio during a weekday when there were no special events going on. I am an AAA member but sometimes the coupon books give even better deals than the discount you get from AAA. I've stayed in $100 rooms for only $50.

As for being so inflexible as to not vary my sleepover destination and not just drive to the next town, I drove to two towns in Ohio and was not able to get any rooms. I finally did get a room in a hotel in West Virginia but I really wanted to get a room in Ohio since that's what I had coupon books for.

As I said in earlier posts its understandable not to be able to get rooms during special events, or during weekends, but this was neither. If my original post about having skyscraper hotels was silly I was just venting my frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.
Why are you approving his post? Its inappropriate to bring up posts from ages ago and from other folders in the forum.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:10 PM

10,006 posts, read 4,686,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
Often when you're on the road, from my experience, you don't know just how far you will drive before you stop so you have to improvise. To give you an idea of how much I travel, I've got a car that I got brand new back in mid 2014 and by now I've put on over a quarter million miles on it.

Also, you can sometimes get really good discounts on rooms with coupon books that you find at rest stops, such coupons however are only good for walk ins, not for booking ahead.

There are not enough of those like you to justify hotels spending millions of dollars to maintain excess capacity. Whine all you want - it's not gonna happen.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:13 PM

10,006 posts, read 4,686,183 times
Quote:
If you know much about traveling than you would know that time can be of the essence. I make sure not to fall asleep at the wheel, if I have to I will use energy drinks and energy pills to stay awake. Sometimes I will sleep at a rest stop in my car which doesn't cost anything.

If time is of the essence then fly.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:21 PM

10,680 posts, read 14,479,666 times
Quote:
Usually I am able to get hotel rooms, or I sleep in my car at rest stops, but I was just really frustrated earlier this week when I wasn't able to get hotel rooms in Ohio during a weekday when there were no special events going on. I am an AAA member but sometimes the coupon books give even better deals than the discount you get from AAA. I've stayed in $100 rooms for only $50.

As for being so inflexible as to not vary my sleepover destination and not just drive to the next town, I drove to two towns in Ohio and was not able to get any rooms. I finally did get a room in a hotel in West Virginia but I really wanted to get a room in Ohio since that's what I had coupon books for.

As I said in earlier posts its understandable not to be able to get rooms during special events, or during weekends, but this was neither. If my original post about having skyscraper hotels was silly I was just venting my frustration.
What do you consider special events? Are you aware of people traveling for school related competitions, travel sport teams, spring break, business conventions, car shows, etc? I'm sure there are all manner of things that might be going on that you probably wouldn't be aware of unless you were a local or had some business in that town.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If time is of the essence then fly.
Sometimes I do, but flying is more expensive and there are other limitations as well.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:04 AM

7,421 posts, read 4,287,601 times
Quote:
Why are you approving his post? Its inappropriate to bring up posts from ages ago and from other folders in the forum.
Care to point that out in the Terms of Service? I can't seem to find it.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:16 AM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,340 posts, read 1,850,460 times
Quote:
How about if you're traveling through time zones where you lose an hour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
I drive in reverse until I get back to the proper time zone to get a room. Duh.
Quote:
Don't make silly posts.
Wait- I see similarities in both supposed by maduro lonsdale (except funnier!) and your posts about the silly notion that hotels should have as many rooms as YOU need.

Planning by early afternoon where you want to stop- THAT would be the un-silly idea!

Old 04-20-2019, 01:19 AM

9,280 posts, read 10,990,606 times
Quote:
I sometimes take big long road trips and there are few things as frustrating as trying to check into a hotel room late at night, after a long day of driving, and being told they're out of rooms. For that reason, if you ask me hotels should build more floors and more rooms. Just like some of the super tall skyscrapers in NYC that's what hotels should be like. The 432 Park Avenue building in Manhattan is an excellent example. The 432 Park Avenue building which is the tallest residential building in the world and the second tallest building in NYC after the One World Trade Center is what all hotels should be like, that way they will most likely never run out of rooms.
Like right before you get there? You're funny!

Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 AM

9,280 posts, read 10,990,606 times
Quote:
As I said earlier in this thread, Im not in the hotel business.
Clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or