U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 PM

276 posts, read 81,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm guessing the discount coupons he wants to use don't work for online reservations
Discount coupons only work for walk ins, not for reservations ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 05:30 PM

9,999 posts, read 5,165,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
Discount coupons only work for walk ins, not for reservations ahead of time.
No, they only work on the "rack rate" which is ridiculously high. You're not getting the great deal that you think you are.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:16 PM

3,680 posts, read 1,619,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Sure, since places like Monticrllo Utah or Cortez Colorado need a hotel that can hold more than the town's entire population, just in case...
Right on. Been there, done that. Or those Podunk oil-patch towns along I-10 in Texas. Precisely because there ARE so few hotels, you'd be surprised you DO need reservations. Oil guys and all that.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No, they only work on the "rack rate" which is ridiculously high. You're not getting the great deal that you think you are.
Alright, I will see about making reservations and see of I get a better deal than I do with the coupon books.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:05 PM

10,006 posts, read 4,686,183 times
Quote:
Alright, I will see about making reservations and see of I get a better deal than I do with the coupon books.

What I have found over a lifetime is that businesses have a price point that they will not go below and that if they are willing to make a deal through one channel they are willing to make it through another. Coupons are just promotional offers to attract business. The coupon itself has no intrinsic value.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What I have found over a lifetime is that businesses have a price point that they will not go below and that if they are willing to make a deal through one channel they are willing to make it through another. Coupons are just promotional offers to attract business. The coupon itself has no intrinsic value.
Of course businesses have to have a price point that they will not go below. If they go too low in price the business becomes a liability instead of an asset in which the business is losing money not making money. When businesses become liabilities they cease to exist.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:07 PM

12,843 posts, read 7,694,245 times
Quote:
When I took the exit off route 70 I only saw one hotel, I wasn't going to drive around the entire town looking for hotels.
If only there were a way to search hotels online...

Did your coupons not say where the hotel is?

But I guess your need for a skyscraper makes more sense. No need to aimlessly drive around town if there is one towering hotel that can be seen for miles and miles.

But how to decide which of the 14 hotels gets to be the one to build the skyscraper... Or should there be a miniature downtown type area with 14 skyscraper hotels?

Old 04-20-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If only there were a way to search hotels online...

Did your coupons not say where the hotel is?

But I guess your need for a skyscraper makes more sense. No need to aimlessly drive around town if there is one towering hotel that can be seen for miles and miles.

But how to decide which of the 14 hotels gets to be the one to build the skyscraper... Or should there be a miniature downtown type area with 14 skyscraper hotels?
The hotel that I stayed at in Wheeling wasn't exactly a skyscraper but it had lots of floors and lots of rooms.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 PM

976 posts, read 254,978 times
Quote:
Usually I am able to get hotel rooms, or I sleep in my car at rest stops, but I was just really frustrated earlier this week when I wasn't able to get hotel rooms in Ohio during a weekday when there were no special events going on. I am an AAA member but sometimes the coupon books give even better deals than the discount you get from AAA. I've stayed in $100 rooms for only $50.
Something, something, something, Hotwire etc., something.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:01 PM

12,843 posts, read 7,694,245 times
Quote:
The hotel that I stayed at in Wheeling wasn't exactly a skyscraper but it had lots of floors and lots of rooms.
Well, I guess dreams do come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or