Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:12 AM

276 posts, read 204,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
You said you sometimes sleep in your car. There's your answer. Get a car that is comfortable to sleep in (like a van) and the world is your hotel. We used to do that sometimes on the way down south for the winter, when we wanted to cover the most miles in the fewest days.

Only stay out of rest areas, they are not the safest. Try "travel plazas" as truck stops are now called (well, the better ones anyway.) They are open 24/7, don't blink an eye at people sleeping in their vehicles, and in the morning, a couple of bucks will get you a shower and $5, a breakfast.
I have slept at rest stops. Rest stops are more common than travel plazas and you do find people with both cars and trucks who do sleep at rest stops. Sleeping in your car can be comfortable but its less comfortable than a hotel room and you get better quality rest in hotel rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And given the OP's adamant refusal to do any planning ahead or to stop driving before sheer fatigue forces him off the road, that's the best solution. Get a van and convert it into a camper, and the issue is gone.
I would like a van sized RV but they'r expensive and even the smaller RVs use tons of gas.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Look, I'm not going to continue this with you, because it's obvious you'll just keep upping the bar even if it is just a fantasy in your own mind. I know people like you, and I understand it's impossible for you to make any sense of an opinion not of your own. I think you have bigger problems in life than hotels with no capacity. Good luck to you.

p.s. I too like the idea of a van for Mr. SJ. Preferably, down by a river.
This is not a fantasy. I got my car back in 2014 and by June I will have had it for 5 years and I've got close to 300,000 miles. Just to give you an idea of how much driving and traveling I do.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:23 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
I would like a van sized RV but they'r expensive and even the smaller RVs use tons of gas.

Not a van-sized RV, a regular minivan. Get one where the back seats can either be removed (preferable if you always travel by yourself) or which fold down completely flat. Stick an air mattress back there along with a pillow and a couple of blankets, and you can sleep in reasonable comfort anywhere where you can park overnight.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:23 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Well by the shore the local code says hotels can't have more than two stories. I can see why they might not allow really tall buildings but I don't see why hotels would be limited to just two stories.
Because local code says they can't build any taller. Why code says that depends on the area. Maybe it's a safety thing, maybe the fire department doesn't have the resources for a tall buildings, or in some places it's for aesthetic reasons.

Or they don't want a tall empty building to maintain in the off season.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not a van-sized RV, a regular minivan. Get one where the back seats can either be removed (preferable if you always travel by yourself) or which fold down completely flat. Sick an air mattress back there along with a pillow and a couple of blankets, and you can sleep in reasonable comfort anywhere where you can park overnight.
The minivans use lots of gas too. When I sleep in my car I just put the seat back and I bring along a blanket or sleeping bag and a pillow.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
All roads should be 6 lanes so that I am not slowed down on my way to the Best Western Hi-Rise Tower in Outer Bumfuss, Montana.
What?? ONLY SIX lanes?
We need a minimum of 8..better yet, 12 each way here in SoFla.
I need lots of room to merge at my leisure.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 AM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
OP, I suggest using an app called Hotel Tonight to find vacancies in your location.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Reading this thread, and laughing all the way thru, made me want to start one ré 'What is the funniest/silliest/most entertaining/ or just plain oddball thread on CD.

But I couldn't figure out where to put it.

This one is up there with the 'Flowered Mailbox Insult' thread, just nowhere near as long.
But it's still early.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
So you must not go on that many long road trips.
Yeah, when I drive coast to coast, I don't know if I am going to spend the night in Ohio or Arkansas. Am I going to drive for 8 hours or 14? It all depends on how I feel that day.

Then again, I don't worry about hotel rooms either, I just get some shuteye in a truck stop parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel