Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

Let us take a look at what we know about the OP. Things he has told us.

He is some type of business traveler who travels on business, probably some type salesperson.

He will stay only at the second class motels/hotels desperate enough for business they put out cut rate coupons at gas stations for advertising.

There may be 14 motels in town on motel row, but he expects the one with cut rate coupons to have a cheap room for him, and refuses to drive around checking out other ones without coupons.

He drives the cheapest economy car with over 200,000 miles, that is worn out and he wants to check in before dark as he fears the car may break down.

Successful business travelers can afford to stay at nice motels and have rooms reserved. They can afford to lease nice comfortable cars that are reliable. They have very high incomes.

Then we have those less successful ones, relying on lowest cut rate motels putting cut rate coupons at gas stations sometimes spending the night in their car, driving worn out unreliable cheap cars,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 07:02 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

He is some type of business traveler who travels on business, probably some type salesperson.

He will stay only at the second class motels/hotels desperate enough for business they put out cut rate coupons at gas stations for advertising.

There may be 14 motels in town on motel row, but he expects the one with cut rate coupons to have a cheap room for him, and refuses to drive around checking out other ones without coupons.

He drives the cheapest economy car with over 200,000 miles, that is worn out and he wants to check in before dark as he fears the car may break down.

Successful business travelers can afford to stay at nice motels and have rooms reserved. They can afford to lease nice comfortable cars that are reliable. They have very high incomes.

Then we have those less successful ones, relying on lowest cut rate motels putting cut rate coupons at gas stations sometimes spending the night in their car, driving worn out unreliable cheap cars,
I don't understand the point of your post.
So what, the guy doesn't have a ton of money, what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

His expectations or wishes are totally unrealistic, and he seems somewhat out of touch (I have my thoughts as to possible reasons for that) but the fact that he doesn't have much money has nothing to do with that. Frankly I find your post despicable and elitist.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 AM

276 posts, read 204,281 times
Quote:
Wrong. I do travel on business but Im not a salesperson.

Quote:
Correct. I see no point in spending extra money just for a bit of luxury. Im not so soft as to not be able to rough it to save money.

Quote:
No, I just don't like to drive too far off the main highway. I've stayed at hotels without coupons at good rates.

Quote:
Wrong, I drive a very good car which has done me very well for all the years I've driven it and all the miles I've put on. I don't fear it will break down, I service it regularly and I see no point in driving a big gas guzzler that so many people like to drive and I am often still on the road late at night, way after it has become dark.

Quote:
You know nothing about my income regardless of how high my income is I see no point in spending extra money on luxury rooms, see above. Unlike some people I can rough it. Im not one of those pampered people who can't stay in anything less than a five star hotel even when Im just stopping for the night. I also see no point in leasing cars, you're limited by how many miles you can drive. Leasing might be good for cars that you just use around town and if you're one of those people who has to drive a new car every three years but you wouldn't lease a car that you use on long road trips.

Quote:
Getting good rates on motels doesn't mean you're less successful, its called being resourceful. And my car is anything but reliable, see above, and while my car wasn't super expensive when I got it brand new it wasn't cheap. I even spent some extra money for certain features on the car to make it more reliable than if I just got it at its base price.

I find your post offensive.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
If you really want to save money, get a sleeping bag and a tent. Other than that, the whole thread is silly and shows an odd misunderstanding of business.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:33 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
Im not talking about vacations Im talking about traveling.
I traveled for 30 years and ALWAYS made reservations!

When on vacation today, I never make reservations and ALWAYS find a room.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:07 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
So just this last Tuesday I was hoping to stay in Ohio for the night but the towns I tried to stop at, Morristown and St Clairesville were all booked up and I ended up staying in Wheeling, West Virginia which I did not have any room coupons for. I would understand if it was during the holiday season or even the weekend but this was neither the holidays nor the weekend so it was a bit ridiculous that Morristown and St Clairesville would be booked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do you actually think St. Clairsville (population 5,000) and Morristown ( population 300) need skyscraper hotels?

Hotels.com shows 14 hotels in Clairsville ( none in morristown). I find it hard to believe all were fully booked, especially as none are fully booked as of right now at 11pm on a Friday night. I think you're making it more difficult then it needs to be by driving up to random hotels instead of booking online.

Or is it that they only have a certain number of rooms available for whatever coupon it is your using?
Quote:
The hotel that I stayed at in Wheeling wasn't exactly a skyscraper but it had lots of floors and lots of rooms.
Wheeling is a city of almost 30,000 - still on the small side but it's the main city of the Wheeling-Ohio MSA, which both Morristown and St. Clairesville are part of. So of course it make sense for the main city for the area to have more, and larger, hotels.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:09 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Get a small pickup with overhead camper. Problem solved. Find a Walmart parking lot.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:17 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:

Are his concerns a little silly? Sure, but you're probably not going to get real popular around here bashing someone personally or pretending to know how successful or not he is. I used to sell real estate (and I wasn't very good at it), but some of the best salesman I knew drove old cars, didn't feel the need to wear the latest in fashions, or to trick others into exaggerating their wealth. Meanwhile, the amount of new salesmen who leased Mercedes or BMWs were in abundance.

Don't mistake being frugal for not being successful.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Aww I'd seriously suggest joining one of the chains members programs. Ours allows and even smiles to do the following: high grade members can boot someone from a reservation. Yup. They can walk into any of the 9 brands..flash their "elite" card...and out goes Mr Humble pants to find another place. Yes...money and status talks. Then there is the guest who so dearly likes free nights stays by challenging our 100% gte. Gotta love if they rant that the bulb near their bed was too bright...we have to comp their entire stay. Or they were disappointed that the elevator didn't arrive quick enough. So please...go sign up...rack up stay nights...and then when you hit that high level...you won't need to worry about getting a room. They'll just boot someone else out...because you are that "entitled". If I sound sarcastic. ..it's because I naturally distain the elitest ,arrogant types that roam in and ask us to grovel. Yet I do seriously encourage chain clubs because some travelers actually find that their demeanor in kindness is welcomed in a business where being gracious is free too.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:36 PM

24,631 posts, read 9,458,962 times
We live in world where a simple google maps app can point you in the direction of the nearest 20 hotels.

Is the OP really complaining that 1 of those hotels was fully booked?

Boy, you guys would've never made it in the old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel