Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 PM

372 posts, read 219,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
Nope, especially on road trips I fuel up whenever the tank gets close to the halfway point.

BTW I find your post offensive.
Certainly patronising, but understandable. An strong impression of immaturity comes across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 02:19 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
We live in world where a simple google maps app can point you in the direction of the nearest 20 hotels.

Is the OP really complaining that 1 of those hotels was fully booked?

Boy, you guys would've never made it in the old days.
Not enough rooms. Not enough floors. And he's not in the hotel business. This thread has had me giggling! And I suspect the OP thinks it's funny as well. Now please excuse me while I invest in a Manhattan style skyscraper in Duluth. That gives out coupons.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:45 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
I also have modest standards for road trips- a clean, quiet room, preferably a decent breakfast and a good gym or pool. Rather than rely on coupons or even intermediary sites such as Orbitz, I now prefer to book with the hotel directly (even though they send you to the 800 number in most cases, not the hotel itself, which I find annoying).

What turned me off from using an intermediary was the time DH and I were passing through Paducah, KY on the way to a family gathering and decided to spend the night there and attend the annual Quilt Show before heading out. As he drove, I got on Orbitz from my phone and made a reservation at a Fairfield. We got there and they looked a little frantic- they'd been trying to reach me. Marriott had already released that last room to someone else and the Orbitz system hadn't picked it up so I got a "reservation" that wasn't really a reservation. (The Quilt Show is a Big Thing in Paducah. People come in buses from Canada.) We ended up driving another hour to another Fairfield.

DH is gone now and I do these road trips by myself. I've got a routine that works pretty well- about 4-5 hours before I'm ready to get off the road for the night I figure out which of the main hotel areas I'll be near (they seem to spring up where interstates and other major arteries cross), do a search on Orbitz, pick one and then book directly with the hotel chain, using an AAA discount if it's available. I know I pay extra for loyalty points and convenience, but it's worth it.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:26 AM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times
Quote:
I sometimes take big long road trips and there are few things as frustrating as trying to check into a hotel room late at night, after a long day of driving, and being told they're out of rooms. For that reason, if you ask me hotels should build more floors and more rooms. Just like some of the super tall skyscrapers in NYC that's what hotels should be like. The 432 Park Avenue building in Manhattan is an excellent example. The 432 Park Avenue building which is the tallest residential building in the world and the second tallest building in NYC after the One World Trade Center is what all hotels should be like, that way they will most likely never run out of rooms.

432 Park Avenue is a blot on the landscape, and was constructed on the site of a Frank Lloyd Wright building, which got knocked down once they applied for listed status.

Suffice to say I'm not a fan.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:04 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
I sometimes take big long road trips and there are few things as frustrating as trying to check into a hotel room late at night, after a long day of driving, and being told they're out of rooms. For that reason, if you ask me hotels should build more floors and more rooms. Just like some of the super tall skyscrapers in NYC that's what hotels should be like. The 432 Park Avenue building in Manhattan is an excellent example. The 432 Park Avenue building which is the tallest residential building in the world and the second tallest building in NYC after the One World Trade Center is what all hotels should be like, that way they will most likely never run out of rooms.
I have to assume you are kidding.
Imagine 432 Park Ave in Kanab Utah.
I think a better idea would be to have instant modular hotel rooms where they can immediately add a new one when you approach.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OP, I suggest using an app called Hotel Tonight to find vacancies in your location.
I'm a big fan of Hotel Tonight, because Mme. Cyrano and I like an element of spontaneity in our road trips, especially for interim stops. We'll typically stop for dinner and, while there, I'll do a Hotel Tonight search for the appropriate location. There's almost always something, and even if it's not much lower than rack rate, it fits our travels well. Sometimes, there'll be a jewel or a rip-roaring bargain, which is part of the fun, the chance element of it.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:44 AM

276 posts, read 203,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I'm a big fan of Hotel Tonight, because Mme. Cyrano and I like an element of spontaneity in our road trips, especially for interim stops. We'll typically stop for dinner and, while there, I'll do a Hotel Tonight search for the appropriate location. There's almost always something, and even if it's not much lower than rack rate, it fits our travels well. Sometimes, there'll be a jewel or a rip-roaring bargain, which is part of the fun, the chance element of it.
Alright I will look into that, although I usually don't stop for dinner I get food to go and eat on the road.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:18 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I also have modest standards for road trips- a clean, quiet room, preferably a decent breakfast and a good gym or pool. Rather than rely on coupons or even intermediary sites such as Orbitz, I now prefer to book with the hotel directly (even though they send you to the 800 number in most cases, not the hotel itself, which I find annoying).
Why not use a hotel's app? Especially if you use the same chain. Much easier than calling an 800 number. If you want the number of a specific hotel go to their facebook page. I find that most hotels associated with a chain have their own individual facebook page, complete with the local number.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:42 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
The chain-specific hotel apps are also likely to nicely to display discount rates for AAA, AARP, etc. when you use them to search.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Alright I will look into that, although I usually don't stop for dinner I get food to go and eat on the road.
As someone who potentially has to share the road with you, please don't do that. Cell phones aren't the only things that distract drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel