Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 11:19 PM

276 posts, read 201,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You want to travel on the cheap, with a car that is near worn out and expect to always find a room waiting for you, that is not going to happen.
I would expect it to sometimes be hard to find a room such as on weekends and on holiday seasons but even during the week day not during a holiday season I've run into areas where hotels are booked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 12:29 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,041,218 times
Why? A hotel's business is to make a PROFIT. More rooms leads to more costs, both initially and ongoing. If those costs exceed what the market can bear then it becomes an unprofitable development. The best way to make profit is to fill your rooms to capacity.

Almost any hotel also has busy seasons and slow seasons. They still have to keep the lights on in common areas and keep the place heated and cooled, not to mention ready for potential customers at all times. This means having staff to keep the place clean, do landscaping, etc, whether they are busy or not.

The world does not cater to you and your last-minute travel needs. If you think there is a market for more hotel space in a given area then you should consider building a hotel to take advantage of the demand exceeding current supply.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:12 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,931,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
I sometimes take big long road trips and there are few things as frustrating as trying to check into a hotel room late at night, after a long day of driving, and being told they're out of rooms. For that reason, if you ask me hotels should build more floors and more rooms. Just like some of the super tall skyscrapers in NYC that's what hotels should be like. The 432 Park Avenue building in Manhattan is an excellent example. The 432 Park Avenue building which is the tallest residential building in the world and the second tallest building in NYC after the One World Trade Center is what all hotels should be like, that way they will most likely never run out of rooms.
Have you considered that there are local codes that impact how high you are allowed to build. This, in fact, is quite timely, as a good example of what can happen when you can't reach a fire is the Notre Dame fire. I am not suggesting that you need equipment to that degree, but there are reasons they don't allow skyscrapers and codes are one of them. If the area does not have equipment that can effectively reach a fire, they can't build for safety reasons alone, let alone vacancy rates.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:16 AM

6,462 posts, read 4,865,290 times
Quote:
How about if you're traveling through time zones where you lose an hour?
I plan for that. You don't? Wait, don't answer that.

6pm is a rough number

Old 04-19-2019, 07:22 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,970,897 times
You said you sometimes sleep in your car. There's your answer. Get a car that is comfortable to sleep in (like a van) and the world is your hotel. We used to do that sometimes on the way down south for the winter, when we wanted to cover the most miles in the fewest days.

Only stay out of rest areas, they are not the safest. Try "travel plazas" as truck stops are now called (well, the better ones anyway.) They are open 24/7, don't blink an eye at people sleeping in their vehicles, and in the morning, a couple of bucks will get you a shower and $5, a breakfast.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 AM

16,345 posts, read 12,322,212 times
Quote:
Don't make silly posts.
Says the guy who created a thread suggesting that all hotels should be skyscrapers.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:05 AM

10,299 posts, read 7,892,330 times
Quote:
I would expect it to sometimes be hard to find a room such as on weekends and on holiday seasons but even during the week day not during a holiday season I've run into areas where hotels are booked up.
And that's probably because there's something special happening in that area at that time. Something that as a non-resident, you wouldn't know is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
You said you sometimes sleep in your car. There's your answer. Get a car that is comfortable to sleep in (like a van) and the world is your hotel.
And given the OP's adamant refusal to do any planning ahead or to stop driving before sheer fatigue forces him off the road, that's the best solution. Get a van and convert it into a camper, and the issue is gone.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:15 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,277,667 times
Quote:
Ever put 300,000 miles on a car in five years?
Look, I'm not going to continue this with you, because it's obvious you'll just keep upping the bar even if it is just a fantasy in your own mind. I know people like you, and I understand it's impossible for you to make any sense of an opinion not of your own. I think you have bigger problems in life than hotels with no capacity. Good luck to you.

p.s. I too like the idea of a van for Mr. SJ. Preferably, down by a river.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:53 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,684,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Have you considered that there are local codes that impact how high you are allowed to build. .
The local Air Force base effectively limits construction to six stories on the west side of my county- they feel like structures higher than that can interfere with flight operations and communication and radar systems testing and development. And since the Air Force brings in better high wage-high skill jobs than tourism does, the local government is glad to let them set those parts of local zoning laws.

And sometimes there are resource restrictions in play. Example- the town of Tusayan just outside the main gate of the Grand Canyon has strict limits on new construction because the water rights the town controls are not sufficient to support additional large hotel projects. Even though there's probably demand for 4-5 times the hotel capacity that's there now.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:10 AM

276 posts, read 201,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Have you considered that there are local codes that impact how high you are allowed to build. This, in fact, is quite timely, as a good example of what can happen when you can't reach a fire is the Notre Dame fire. I am not suggesting that you need equipment to that degree, but there are reasons they don't allow skyscrapers and codes are one of them. If the area does not have equipment that can effectively reach a fire, they can't build for safety reasons alone, let alone vacancy rates.
Well by the shore the local code says hotels can't have more than two stories. I can see why they might not allow really tall buildings but I don't see why hotels would be limited to just two stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel