U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:52 AM

6,319 posts, read 6,981,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Are cruises very crowded? Thatís my primary concern with booking a cruise. Iím afraid it will be like a floating theme park in terms of crowds. Iím an introvert- crowds just wear me down.
Yeah a resort is likely much better for you. I would answer that no, cruises are not very crowded to me, but I think my POV and tolerance is far different from yours.

Also, I have been on 3 cruises to the caribbean (never been to a resort there fwiw) and my impression is that 90% of cruise ports in the caribbean are identical and disney-fied, i.e., inauthentic. So it isnt much of a "travel" experience. I still liked those cruises a lot, but I didnt consider them to be genuine travel. A resort would be the same at worst, but likely you can curate a more authentic experience by traveling off the property and spending time in non-tourist parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM

1,214 posts, read 439,668 times
Skip the cruises.. they will be a madhouse. And I have cruised mucho ships to mucho places worldwide at wildly different prices.
Spring break will be crowded for most economy locales so skip that also.

Important: What is your budget?

If you can, I'd go to the BVI.. Tortola (Cane Garden Bay, etc..) or Virgin Gorda (mo quiet) would be great, but won't be nearly as cheap as other locales.

The more you spend, the less crowded it will be, right?

Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 AM

3,988 posts, read 1,708,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Skip the cruises.. they will be a madhouse. And I have cruised mucho ships to mucho places worldwide at wildly different prices.

If you can, I'd go to the BVI.. Tortola (Cane Garden Bay, etc..) or Virgin Gorda (mo quiet) would be great, but won't be nearly as cheap as other locales.

The OP is going in February, so it should not be that bad. Not so many kids have off and even on the larger ships, it should be quieter. If the OP chooses a line like Celebrity, it is not as kid focused and puts a lot of money and focus into making the public spaces interesting. Other lines like Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian put more money into getting more rooms into the ship and tend to have fewer public spaces per passenger. They are also more kid focused, so there are many more people who have rooms with triple and quadruple occupancy.

Even on Royal Caribbean, if you go in February and have a decent budget, you can sometimes get good deals on the suites with the concierge access and that gives you access to a private breakfast, reserved pool seating, etc. You might not find that on the Symphony of the Seas, but on the less new ones, you could have better luck. If the option is like interior room vs. Caribbean resort, Iíd say go to the resort.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:52 PM

936 posts, read 1,058,623 times
Quote:

We can do mid-high range. Or high-mid range? For a cruise Iím looking at balcony rooms. Beaches and sandals are out of budget for a resort ($10k for a family of thee eek!), Iíd like to be all in at half that (minus excursions).

Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 439,668 times
Ramen Addict makes some very good points re the concierge service options, but you will still have to negotiate ports, with all that entails. Like getting off, getting back on, and the congestion in town and out that will likely occur when seven ships dock in port simultaneously!
Not common but I've seen it happen in popular stops like St thomas and St Martin, so there's that to consider.

Myett's in Tortola is going for ~$300/night ($250+%20 tax + service) winter rates, but Feb 15 may be more.. or fully booked by now. Quito Rhymer has his restaurant/nightclub at the end of the bay and he is an island institution.

Other spots on Virgin Gorda are likely $$$$ but I have not researched other than hi end resorts.

You might also consider St John in the USVI where there's plenty to do including a wide array of beach and boating excursions. You'll need your passports to enter the BVI.

Whatever you choose, enjoy yourself..Feb is a great month for the islands!

Old 04-19-2019, 03:44 PM

936 posts, read 1,058,623 times
Quote:
Ramen Addict makes some very good points re the concierge service options, but you will still have to negotiate ports, with all that entails. Like getting off, getting back on, and the congestion in town and out that will likely occur when seven ships dock in port simultaneously!
Not common but I've seen it happen in popular stops like St thomas and St Martin, so there's that to consider.

Myett's in Tortola is going for ~$300/night ($250+%20 tax + service) winter rates, but Feb 15 may be more.. or fully booked by now. Quito Rhymer has his restaurant/nightclub at the end of the bay and he is an island institution.

Other spots on Virgin Gorda are likely $$$$ but I have not researched other than hi end resorts.

You might also consider St John in the USVI where there's plenty to do including a wide array of beach and boating excursions. You'll need your passports to enter the BVI.

Whatever you choose, enjoy yourself..Feb is a great month for the islands!
I will check those out. Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 PM

5,422 posts, read 15,476,545 times
I've done one cruise and I disliked it
I've done two all-inclusive resorts, and I disliked them
I've done one bus tour that lasted 5 days, and I disliked that (but I'll admit that it did have some advantages)

I like to rent a hotel room, condo, or house, get a rental car, and explore the local sights and restaurants on my own.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:08 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,788,380 times
We cruise a lot, so I will vote for that. We've talked about an all-inclusive, but think we would be bored. We LOVE the fact we go to bed at night and wake up in a new location!! As far as excursions, skip those sold by the ship and simply get off the ship, and hire a local guide. Tell him what you want to do, and they will do it! We have NEVER had a bad experience with a local guide. This gives you the opportunity to spend a little time on many islands, then you can decide if you would like to go back there someday.
As far as it being crowded on cruise ships, we've only had that happen during those days spent at sea, and only around the pool.
We always requested the late dinner seating on Royal Caribbean, and loved it. We tried Norwegian for our last cruise to see if we liked the "open dining" option. We did not. THAT was crowded, was a big cattle call, and we had some waiters that were great and some that were not. My husband has Celiac disease and it has never been a problem on RC, but on Norwegian, some of the waiters were great, some were clueless. That never happened on RC. IMHO, cruises are the best value.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:47 PM

3,630 posts, read 7,246,433 times
We're headed to the Bahamas next week. Will be our third trip to Atlantis. There's plenty to do for all ages. Plus there's stuff to do offsite. We love the Greycliff area.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:32 PM

9,710 posts, read 4,572,717 times
Cruise ships don't really allow you to get to know a place. You get off in the morning and have to be back on the boat about 4-5pm. No chance to experience multiple days or evening activities. Unless you do a lot of homework to arrange your own activities, you'll be processed like cattle on the various activity options by vendors accustomed to a steady supply of captive customers. And while cruises offer attractive starting fares, the addons can rack up the bill.

I'd suggest a non-AI (although I've enjoyed my AI experiences when I want to "take it easy") in a place that is walkable. Yucatan Mexico (Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum) are quite safe off the resort. Caymans is nice but a bit pricy. Look into Curacao or Puerto Rico. If you're concerned about getting bored (hard for me to imagine) then what about a two-location trip. Something like Belize with a few days on Ambergris and a few days on Caulker. Or Cozumel/Tulum, Grand Cayman/Little Cayman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or