U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:21 PM

25,972 posts, read 32,970,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Are cruises very crowded? Thatís my primary concern with booking a cruise. Iím afraid it will be like a floating theme park in terms of crowds. Iím an introvert- crowds just wear me down.
I've only been on two, and neither of them had any problems with crowding. Did a RC southern Caribbean cruise, twice (because we loved it so much), and it was just fabulous. Met the most wonderful people at our dinner table each cruise, and planned our own excursions (did not use any of the cruise line excursions) according to recommendations on Cruise Critic. Food was delicious, and we were never bored. We left the ship every morning after docking, and returned by 5pm before the boat set off for the next island. I highly recommend it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 02:18 AM

935 posts, read 1,055,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've only been on two, and neither of them had any problems with crowding. Did a RC southern Caribbean cruise, twice (because we loved it so much), and it was just fabulous. Met the most wonderful people at our dinner table each cruise, and planned our own excursions (did not use any of the cruise line excursions) according to recommendations on Cruise Critic. Food was delicious, and we were never bored. We left the ship every morning after docking, and returned by 5pm before the boat set off for the next island. I highly recommend it!
Hold the phone and back up - whe. You say you met people at you dinner table- as in you do not get your own dinner table? You have to sit with other people you donít know?

Yeah thatís my ideal of torture. I could do ha doe it one time but not the whole trip. Is this an every night thing?

Old 04-20-2019, 02:43 AM

9,251 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Ramen Addict makes some very good points re the concierge service options, but you will still have to negotiate ports, with all that entails. Like getting off, getting back on, and the congestion in town and out that will likely occur when seven ships dock in port simultaneously!
Not common but I've seen it happen in popular stops like St thomas and St Martin, so there's that to consider.

Myett's in Tortola is going for ~$300/night ($250+%20 tax + service) winter rates, but Feb 15 may be more.. or fully booked by now. Quito Rhymer has his restaurant/nightclub at the end of the bay and he is an island institution.

Other spots on Virgin Gorda are likely $$$$ but I have not researched other than hi end resorts.

You might also consider St John in the USVI where there's plenty to do including a wide array of beach and boating excursions. You'll need your passports to enter the BVI.

Whatever you choose, enjoy yourself..Feb is a great month for the islands!
Myett's and Rhymer at Cane Garden Bay, BVI I think are great recommendations. One reason being you can take boats over to Jost Van Dyke or a ferry over to Anegada and not have to deal with huge groups. One of the best trips we ever took.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:58 AM

9,647 posts, read 4,548,107 times
Quote:
Hold the phone and back up - whe. You say you met people at you dinner table- as in you do not get your own dinner table? You have to sit with other people you donít know?

Hahaha, you're reaction is priceless.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:56 AM

935 posts, read 1,055,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Hahaha, you're reaction is priceless.
Who comes up with these ideas? Like who thinks I know what will make a great vacation- forced interaction with complete strangers during the evening meal!

Old 04-20-2019, 11:54 AM

9,647 posts, read 4,548,107 times
Quote:
Who comes up with these ideas? Like who thinks I know what will make a great vacation- forced interaction with complete strangers during the evening meal!

I doubt it's because they think a dinner mixer will forge friendships but because with 5000 people on a ship they just don't have the dining space for separate tables.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I doubt it's because they think a dinner mixer will forge friendships but because with 5000 people on a ship they just don't have the dining space for separate tables.
some ships offer separate tables.

We have gained a lot from table mates, even a small ship (300 passengers) in Caribbean we formed a great friendship that lasted 20+ yrs.

YMMV

Old 04-20-2019, 12:41 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Quote:
Different ships will have different guidelines so it's certainly not uniform across the board, but from my experience it is usually not hard to get your own table. Just in situations where you don't have a reservation/assigned time, it may be faster to go the sharing route. And obviously we are all very different people with different personalities and preferences, but I will note that we just took a Celebrity cruise last month and although our seating was entirely private (we had reservations) we ended up becoming fast friends with a number of the regular folks in our section and by the end of the week we were joining tables lol.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 AM

2,755 posts, read 4,904,115 times
We took our 1st cruise to Alaska, or anywhere, last year.
My fault entirely but we were disappointed in the amount of time that we were allowed on shore during the trip at our 5 ports of call. In one case I was only about 4.5 hours. And in about 50% of the cases the food was not that great either. And at temperatures and even the ideal time to travel to Alaska were cold with combined winds in some cases of 40 knots.
Too much time at sea and not enough on land to explore. I realized after I booked this trip that I could've taken a combination trip of ship/train excursions that I would've liked better or at least I think so.
I also did not like having to wait in line to get off the ship, and to get on the ship when we returned. In some cases getting back on the ship of some 5000 people the lines were almost 30 minutes long and if the weather is not good that can be a problem.
Personally before I took another cruise I would have to do a lot more research. For us, it will be resorts and airlines from now on.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:03 AM

629 posts, read 491,841 times
Yeah, I am not a fan of cruises and hate that you are forced to eat dinner at a round table with several groups of strangers. If I'm on vacation with my family I want to speak to them at dinner, not make small talk with people we've never met and with whom we may have nothing in common.

I know that Princess used to try to profile guests so that you technically had something in common with others at your table, but that is usually ineffective. When I was 22 I was on a cruise with 2 college buddies, and the ship had plenty of young people on it. Princess instead sat us with 5 elderly women who were travelling together and happened to be from the same county in NYC as us. We tried as hard as possible to be polite, but 22 something men don't want to eat dinner 7 nights in a row with a group of female octogenarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or