U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 02:33 PM

5,687 posts, read 8,599,419 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Belize end December for a few days based in San Pedro (Ambergris Caye). I will be ringing in the new year 2020 on the Island as well So, the question is - has anyone either flown over or gone by boat (for snorkeling/diving) to the Blue Hole.

This thing has been on my bucket list and has always fascinated me, however, it is very far away by boat and a single dive there costs $450, holy cow!!!! Even a snorkel trip is around $400. A scenic flight over for 45 minutes is a more "reasonable" $250.

For those that have done this, is it really worth it? I know it would be awesome to see this with my own eyes but I am shying away from it because of the expense. The Diving/Snorkeling is out of the question as i'm not spending that kind of money and Belize has other much more spectacular dive sites that cost a more normal $100/2 dives, but I may open to the scenic flight...on the fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 02:53 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,083,836 times
We have dived the Belize Blue Hole a couple of times...
It is OK to interesting, less so the 2nd time.

For clarity, we were diving from a dedicated live aboard dive boat: 20 divers, 5-6 dives a day, for a week: dive/eat/dive/eat, repeat a few times a day, then night dive, then drink and sleep. The BH was simply one of the partial day stops we made in the many amazing dive sites our boat traveled to during each week's diving trip.

With ~600+ dives we are decent SCUBA, though not Jacques Cousteau, but SCUBA is the only way to experience the BH, imo.
Snorkeling won't get you deeper than 20ish feet and only for < 30 seconds. The sloping sand shoulder drops quickly into serious depth: fish and crustacean and coral life is not considerable, and viz at ~ 60 to 100 feet of depth is not the usual Caribbean clear.

Flying over it? One can see it on Youtube in dozens of versions...

Diving in Belize was good, but we were miles offshore on both week long dive trips. The 6 pack trips they run from shore are pricey, time consuming and generally for the newer cert'd diver and snorkeler.

Do what you want, but some shore stuff snorkeling, (shore diving if Cert'd), would be my pick vs a long ride to the BH.

I would stay on AC, or visit B City in daytime only, or at secure location if at night. Just my opin, having been to B City a few times.
I lived & worked in Metro NYC for a couple of decades and have traveled over much of the world, but B City isn't necessarily 'fun' at night, in my two experiences there.
YMMV...
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 04-19-2019 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-19-2019, 04:23 PM

5,687 posts, read 8,599,419 times
Thanks for the info... yeah, I just did not find the long boat ride too appealing vs diving in the cave, i've dived in other caves such as the Cenotes in Mexico. I would rather dive something like Shark Ray Alley which seems more interesting and it's much closer to Ambergris Caye.

Regarding the flight, I would've done it if it was cheaper but for the cost i'm thinking there are better ways to spend $250.

I hear you about Belize City, others have warned me too, I don't intend to spend any time there... I'm coming eastward from Guatemala (Tikal) to San Ignacio and to Belize City in the AM, then catching the ferry to San Pedro right away.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:01 AM

34,377 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Some points to ponder= What you need to know about diving Belize's Great Blue Hole &bull; Sandy Point Resorts

Old 04-20-2019, 07:22 PM

9,662 posts, read 4,556,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I'm going to be in Belize end December for a few days based in San Pedro (Ambergris Caye). I will be ringing in the new year 2020 on the Island as well So, the question is - has anyone either flown over or gone by boat (for snorkeling/diving) to the Blue Hole.

This thing has been on my bucket list and has always fascinated me, however, it is very far away by boat and a single dive there costs $450, holy cow!!!! Even a snorkel trip is around $400. A scenic flight over for 45 minutes is a more "reasonable" $250.

For those that have done this, is it really worth it? I know it would be awesome to see this with my own eyes but I am shying away from it because of the expense. The Diving/Snorkeling is out of the question as i'm not spending that kind of money and Belize has other much more spectacular dive sites that cost a more normal $100/2 dives, but I may open to the scenic flight...on the fence.

Where are you seeing $450 for one dive?

Belize Pro Dive Center, Blue Hole trip, $260
https://belizeprodivecenter.com/tour/blue-hole-dive/

And they are not the cheapest dive shop. That trip also includes two other great dives (actually better dives than BH) on the atolls and a great lunch visit to Half Moon Caye. The $100 trips to near-shore reefs do not compare at all to the atolls.

Amigos del Mar also has Blue Hole diving for $260, snorkeling $195
https://www.amigosdivebelize.com/rates

As a diver, I consider it a "log book" dive. You have to do it once to say you did it because anytime you mention you have dived in Belize the first question people will ask is if you dived the Blue Hole. My next visit I'll just do 3-dive atoll trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or