U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:48 AM

12,267 posts, read 18,397,848 times

Advertisements

Those may be historical American landmarks but most aren't really old hotels. If that's your hobby, you should start traveling international. Stay at a few 800 year old abbey's, keeps, and old lodges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 03:57 PM

3,353 posts, read 2,828,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Stay at a few 800 year old abbey's, keeps, and old lodges.
That sounds like a pretty interesting experience. Do you have any recommendations?

Old 04-23-2019, 04:50 PM

12,267 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
That sounds like a pretty interesting experience. Do you have any recommendations?
Yeah I do but I don't think it's active anymore - Portugal travel bureau had a travel feature called a Pousada Pass that lets you stay at historical inns in Portugal for a reduced price maybe 10 years ago. It was an amazing experience when we did it - one night we stayed in an abbey from the medieval times, one night we stayed in a castle. No one else around in the castle so we started walking around in this walled town looking for food. Walked into a tiny pub and the guy had his wife cook a dinner for us.
Portugal is amazing and probably the last of the "Old Europe" feel.
We also stayed in a castle in Wales I think, long forgotten how we got hooked up for that but do the usual internet searches.

Really, when you go to Europe and you stay in the central cities that weren't bombed out in WW2, doesn't matter where, you are going to be in a very very old hotel. But check out the Pousada pass.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:14 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,583,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
That looks like an amazing hotel. How was your room? How was the service? Did you eat there as well?

It was in the last century but what I remember was that the Chateau Frontenac oozed atmosphere like the scene of some old Agatha Christie murder mystery. The rooms we had were small but clean & "woody" & old world style. I don't think we ate there except perhaps breakfasts or cocktails, we rather ate in old Quebec city restaurants. The hotel was massive.

The mention of old European hotels above reminded me of a weeklong stay a long time ago in a small village in the Romantic Road region of Germany, the village name is long forgotten but near Bad Mergentheim, where we stayed for a week in the town's only hotel/restaurant/bar. The place was a couple of hundred years old with a mural in the bar of a nearby significant battle from ages ago & not a whole lot of rooms which were simple but clean. They had a small brewery primarily just for the inn & the food was amazing, I had no concept how delicious German food could be, but I was pretty young then too. Even though we were working we finished each day with way too much bier, I mean way, way too much, & still managed to put in a full day the next day & then do it all over again.... ah, youth! Didn't even get hangovers then.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:23 PM

4,375 posts, read 1,663,688 times
Anyone who has traveled outside NA would not think it unusual to stay in s high-rise inner-city lodging. But there are only a few left standing in the US, and those have been mostly restored. Mos big cities still have one or two downtown, but they are not the kind of places you'd want to stay at if you had a choice.

Last edited by cebuan; 04-23-2019 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 06:58 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
I used to be able to get the friends and family special rate at The Grand Hotel:

https://www.grandhotel.com/

A more modest place in North Wales we had a lot of fun at:

https://www.gwydyrhotel.co.uk/

We didn't actually stay in a manor room when we were here, though probably should have sprung for it:

https://www.dalmahoyhotelandcountryclub.co.uk/

Old 04-23-2019, 08:18 PM

5,479 posts, read 3,908,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Anyone who has traveled outside NA would not think it unusual to stay in s high-rise inner-city lodging. But there are only a few left standing in the US, and those have been mostly restored. Mos big cities still have one or two downtown, but they are not the kind of places you'd want to stay at if you had a choice.
The Parker House in Boston dates to the mid-1800s (I think the current building was built in the 1930s). Lots of history (they even have their own little museum about their history). It's a grand old dame that we like to stay at (it's an Omni property now). Right in the heart of downtown.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:31 PM

5,479 posts, read 3,908,104 times
Two gems in Florida: Club Continental just outside of Jacksonville was built by the "Palmolive" magnate almost 100 years ago as a summer estate (think Great Gatsby). It's now a hotel and truly amazing property. The Lodge at Wakulla Springs was built by Alfred DuPont's brother-in-law, who oversaw much of the DuPont fortune. It dates to 1930s. Another grand old property that has been maintained close to its original condition (no TVs, the original elevator and soda fountain, etc). It has never been "updated"..... a really remarkable place just south of Tallahasee.

The Plaza resort on Daytona Beach is the oldest one there.....from the early 1900s. But It's been renovated/updated a lot. Still has some of the old charm.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:26 PM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
I'll stay in any hotel, new, old, or ancient, but I absolutely demand a balcony!

Old 04-23-2019, 10:00 PM

39,389 posts, read 2,974,514 times
https://www.bantryhouse.com/accommodation.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel