U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 PM

11,356 posts, read 8,596,488 times

Advertisements

Wow! 15hrs sounds torturous. Bring on the Dramamine! Not for nausea but for sleeping. I went to Kuwait, left out of Norfolk. I slept THE.WHOLE.WAY. Thank you Dramamine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 12:01 AM

38,799 posts, read 56,631,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Wow! 15hrs sounds torturous. Bring on the Dramamine! Not for nausea but for sleeping. I went to Kuwait, left out of Norfolk. I slept THE.WHOLE.WAY. Thank you Dramamine!
I fly overseas (8+hrs) every year, sometimes twice a year but I can't sleep on the plane. Absolutely never during the day, and just can't during the night. Not even in a comfy business class.
During the day I want to look out the plane window, and take pictures when I see something interesting, and during the night just don't feel comfortable to sleep with other people around me. I guess the feeling of comfort is necessary to fall asleep. So, I watch movies, read a book, hang out and chat with other passengers in the galley...time goes fast that way.
At the arrival, I just take Provigil and I am good to go...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:53 AM

11,356 posts, read 8,596,488 times
I'm flying CA to FL to CT next week. I'm banking on sleepingon the plane. With no carry on allowed I can see where an inflatable would be helpful.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:32 PM

880 posts, read 448,848 times
Interesting how some think all are nearly useless or prefer a travel pillow that's inflatable. While inflatable certainly saves space, a travel pillow seems like something you can just wear onto the plane, unless it's one of those huge ones.

My entire life I never traveled with a travel pillow. I agree that if someone is tired, they will definitely fall asleep without one. But I recall waking up with a pain in the neck more than twice.

The trtl looks good, but when I look at the 1 star reviews, people mention it doesn't have enough support, though it looks cozy. I think you have to pivot the thing around your neck if you decide to hang your head on the opposite side.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:47 PM

10,131 posts, read 5,240,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Interesting how some think all are nearly useless or prefer a travel pillow that's inflatable. While inflatable certainly saves space, a travel pillow seems like something you can just wear onto the plane, unless it's one of those huge ones.
Ew. No thanks. I can barely stand wearing turtlenecks or scarves. I certainly don't want a pillow wrapped around my head while I walk around. That would feel waaaaaay too confining and restricting.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 AM

6,189 posts, read 3,016,752 times
These days lot more airlines have seats with movable side flaps on the headrest, some people don't even realize how far you can bend those inward to rest your head. It wouldn't help with head tilting forward but good to lean head in either direction and sleep.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:36 AM

65 posts, read 64,091 times
I used to laugh at all those on my flights with their travel pillows - until I tried one myself! GAME CHANGER!!! Especially for long flights! I don't care how silly they look - they are awesome! Also remember to adjust your head rest into your head size - also makes a difference!

Old 05-02-2019, 12:55 PM

40,391 posts, read 15,323,002 times
I love having a neck pillow for long flights. I purchased mine at a gift shop in Jamaica a few years ago. It was only ten bucks. It is foam-filled and very comfortable. It has kept me comfortable during three round trips to Europe. I use it with the opening in the front.

To save room in my luggage, and to keep my hands free, I just wear the pillow around my neck when I'm in the airports. I probably wouldn't have thought of that on my own, but I've seen lots of other people doing it. The pillow is not viewed as an extra carry-on, so it's not a problem.

Good luck, OP. Let us know what you ended up using and how it went.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 PM

880 posts, read 448,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Ew. No thanks. I can barely stand wearing turtlenecks or scarves. I certainly don't want a pillow wrapped around my head while I walk around. That would feel waaaaaay too confining and restricting.
I would only wear as I board the plane, so they don't try to say I need to check something.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:06 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,887,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
These days lot more airlines have seats with movable side flaps on the headrest, some people don't even realize how far you can bend those inward to rest your head. It wouldn't help with head tilting forward but good to lean head in either direction and sleep.
I canít remember the last time I was on a Delta flight that didnít have those headrest side flaps. I used to carry a Cabeau travel pillow, but eventually realized that I can sleep just fine with a little recline and those side flaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel