U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:17 AM

133 posts, read 166,553 times

Advertisements

My wife and I was watching our favorite show, House Hunter International and came across an episode that intrigued us. It was about a retired couple that chose to live overseas for 4 months a year. They used this strategy so they can have a "home base" in the region and use it to travel to other countries nearby. They chose a no-frills housing rental that is close to a major airport. In this case, they rented an unit just outside of Bangkok, Thailand so it's cheaper but still allow access to the city. Couple mentioned a lot of benefits with this approach:

1) Live like a local in home base and be immersed in new culture
2) Regional flights to nearby countries are affordable (they went to Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, etc)
3) Avoid long uncomfortable flights from US to Asia and minimize jet lag. Rest between trips in home base rental.

I told my wife that I am willing to do something like this when we are retired. We can have an adventure for a prolonged period but still come back to US where we have lots of family/friends. Only negatives I can think of paying for multiple housing (US, overseas, etc). Maybe rotate to a new continent every year. Start with Asia, then rent an Italian villa to explore year Europe the next year, then South America, etc.

Has anyone else thought or done something like this? Any other negatives with this approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
One of my favorite shows as well.

I don't see any downsides really, besides the cost that you mentioned. (also risks to owning empty homes, particularly overseas, but that all essentially can fit under the "cost" column)

You may also consider airbnb and other short term rental platforms. Both for renting a home base as well as renting out your own home to make some extra cash. It's not for everyone but if you are comfortable with that it makes a lot of sense.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 AM

5,957 posts, read 2,897,780 times
Sounds like a great plan!

If can do 4 months then why not do 6 months instead? Reason =
1. There are usually a lot more homes available with a 6 month min contract
2. Can get a six month tourist visa to Thailand

Also Europe would be tricky for four months since getting around the 90 day Schengen is tricky, although you could do something by splitting off a couple months in somewhere like Bulgaria or Romania to end-around the visa limit.

Many South/Central America are 90 days but you can leave and come back to get your four months, except Mexico which is 6 months for USA.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,606 posts, read 39,974,527 times
similar / duplicate thread.
Living Overseas for 4 Months/Year In Retirement
Living Overseas for 4 Months/Year In Retirement

Old 04-23-2019, 02:23 AM

15,079 posts, read 19,024,811 times
We did this by living in Mexico part time for a few years. Only one BIG downside to consider: healthcare.

Medicare has virtually no coverage outside the USA. You will have to get some kind of individual plan. When I looked at this a few years ago, most (all?) Excluded pre existing conditions. Some required underwriting. All has prices that were adjusted for age. World Nomads is a major provider of these policies, and there are others.

The alternative is to self insure. Bad idea.

The only other 'complications' are pets and not having a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or