U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 AM

933 posts, read 480,956 times

Advertisements

The 1 yo wont have any recollection of going to Disney, a cruise or any vacation. Disney especially is a waste in more ways than one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 07:04 AM

1,037 posts, read 313,607 times
My husband and I have gone on separate vacations with our kids. It actually works. I go with one kid, and my husband travels later with the other kid.

(Mainly, because we have a diabetic dog who needs insulin injections every 12 hours and can't be left in a kennel or with a sitter)

Your 15 year old might like special time alone with a parent. With a new baby at home, she probably is getting less attention. It would be a good break for her to feel like an only child again.

If your wife feels like she doesn't have enough time with her baby, her staying home might be the best solution. Traveling with a baby isn't going to feel like spending quality time with a her away.

The level of stress of traveling is a baby is huge. Even if the baby sleeps during flights, the anticipation of possible crying is going to be stressful for everyone.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:09 AM

48 posts, read 14,612 times
Go to Banff and Jasper in the summer. Ride the ski lifts and walk down. Take the Maligne Lake boat trip. Soak in Parks Canada hot springs. Visit Fort Steele Heritage Park. Hike around Lake Louise. Go see the Calgary Stampede.

Want to cruise? Take the Alaskan Ferry from Bellingham to Skagway (or farther) and fly back.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:10 AM

14,006 posts, read 7,465,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I don't think flying to Italy from seattle is a good idea either. but you just said flying, seeming to mean youre averse to 1 year olds flying in general.

OP, if you were thinking Disney why not Disneyland? Its smaller and easier to handle and a much shorter flight.

A quick up & down flight, sure. My life experience is that a 3 year old girl can typically sit in a seat and be entertained for a longer flight. Boys might need to be 4. The OP was talking European cruise and Disney World. MCO to SEA shows 6 hours 20 minutes scheduled flight time. In 2021, sure.

Even SeaTac-John Wayne to do MouseLand v1.0 is 3 hours flight time. In 2019, flights have 95% load factors. 3 hours on a full flight with a lap kid is unlikely to end well. Uncle Giuseppe from Italy won't be impressed.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:37 AM

9,850 posts, read 5,052,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
The 1 yo wont have any recollection of going to Disney, a cruise or any vacation. Disney especially is a waste in more ways than one.
Disney is only a waste if you don't enjoy it. Only you can determine that for yourself.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:42 AM

6,323 posts, read 6,992,048 times
Wow I love the info shared by the CD community! Really good to know about the adult-only spaces on Disney cruises and the rider switching at the theme parks!

The cruise sounds like a good plan...most cruise lines will not have activities for your younger one so just be sure to check on that if you're counting on it. Disney would be one of the few exceptions. Disney seems like it should be enjoyable enough for your childless relatives the only concern would be whether they want to pay the premium for such a cruise. Another alternative is an all-inclusive resort, if you all are so inclined to that type of vacation.

As for leaving the baby, I know my wife would feel the same way. Mom guilt is real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, right. A Med cruise from Washington State. 10 hours in an economy seat with a 1 year old. Then a connection. Probably 20 hours door to door. For a family emergency? Sure. You suck it up and deal with it. For a vacation? The OP is out of their mind. Even Orlando to Seattle is 6 1/2 hours flight time.
We brought an 11-month old to the opposite side of the planet (Malaysia) and he had no trouble at all. He is now 3.5 years old and has only cried twice out of about 40 flights. (both were pretty extenuating circumstances too...sitting on the tarmac in a hot plane for an extended period of time, and sitting behind a crying baby that eventually led ours to cry too) I am not suggesting this is the norm, but that not every child is the same.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:46 AM

6,323 posts, read 6,992,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyW View Post
Go to Banff and Jasper in the summer. Ride the ski lifts and walk down. Take the Maligne Lake boat trip. Soak in Parks Canada hot springs. Visit Fort Steele Heritage Park. Hike around Lake Louise. Go see the Calgary Stampede.

Want to cruise? Take the Alaskan Ferry from Bellingham to Skagway (or farther) and fly back.
These sound like great suggestions. Banff and Jasper are amazing in the summertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Disney is only a waste if you don't enjoy it. Only you can determine that for yourself.
Absolutely! I for one have no interest in doing Disney stuff and paying that premium, and thankfully our older kid hasn't asked for any of that yet. When the time comes, I am sure I'll enjoy it simply because of his enjoyment, but hopefully that won't be for awhile yet.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:56 AM

21,218 posts, read 11,844,911 times
If you want to do Disney, I'd go to Disneyland rather than Disneyworld with a 1 year old, and save WDW for a future trip. Yes, there will be skipping some rides and/or ride switching, but it's doable. And there's a lot that is geared to and enjoyable for a toddler. Since this is a splurge trip, stay onsite at the Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel (although I think that may be undergoing a renovation now? so double check). With a 1 year old, you'll need breaks and that makes it a lot easier. The 15 year old can spend some time with her aunt and uncle doing the thrill rides and you and your wife can go back to the hotel and relax in the pool with the little one, which it sounds like your wife would really enjoy.

Otherwise, I would look for a resort type of situation, where there are a lot of activities on site.

One thing to remember about cruises is that babies in diapers can't go in the pools, and that's on all cruise lines. Disney Cruises have a splash area for babies in diapers, but that's not the same as being able to go in an actual pool

Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 AM

2,664 posts, read 1,559,752 times
What about doing a family friendly all inclusive like Beaches? I hear they’re fabulous and they offer childcare in case you want to have some adult time. They also have programs for teens.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM

629 posts, read 494,700 times
How about Oahu? Lots of non-stop flights from the west coast of the USA to Honolulu. It's beautiful, safe, and interesting, and you'll find a good mix of things for the adults and the teenager to enjoy (and truthfully the 1 year old is just along for the ride, but might enjoy the beach and hotel pool under close supervision). It's exotic enough to feel like a splurge trip, but it also has first world amenities.

We visited Oahu as a babymoon when my wife was 4 months pregnant, and fell in love. Spent 5 nights in the Waikiki area and did Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, the Bishop Museum, etc. Then spent 3 nights at Turtle Bay on the north shore and visited Waimea Valley, the Buddhist temple, etc. Felt like a splurge vacation but didn't totally break the bank.

Also re: travelling with kids generally,our daughter is almost six and we started travelling with her when she was about 1. I'm a huge believer in travelling with kids, and don't subscribe to the idea that just because they won't remember it, it's not worth doing. (We took our then 3.5 year old on an amazing trip to Norway and she was happy as a clam the entire time. I don't care if she remembers it long term.) That said, a 1 year old can be quite difficult, and you don't want to go anywhere that you're constantly in transit and changing hotels multiple times. I suggested Oahu because of non-stop airfare and the ability to see both urban and rural Hawaii without island hopping, and I encourage you to keep it simple no matter where you go. I am not personally a fan of cruises but I definitely understand why many people love them. Have fun planning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or