U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times

Advertisements

It may be way too late to find accommodation in Banff and Jasper this summer. If the trip is for next summer, book early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
The 1 yo wont have any recollection of going to Disney, a cruise or any vacation. Disney especially is a waste in more ways than one.
THIS^^^^^. People take vacations from one year olds - not with them.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:36 AM

38,236 posts, read 14,941,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Thanks so much for the advice! I had considered leaving the baby at home, but I'm not sure my wife would be okay with that - she is constantly complaining about having to work and not being home with the baby enough.

I will look into the Disney cruise - that sounds like a good balance of adult exploration with "kid time". Thanks!
Vacations offer uninterrupted time to unwind and connect with one another. Leaving your baby at home, or both your baby and your wife at home? I don't know about that.

I also don't know about cruises, Disney or otherwise. Wherever you go, your baby will be exposed to new viruses, but a cruise ship is practically a petri dish for viruses. Babies are touching everything and putting their hands in their mouths constantly.

I would recommend renting a condo/house in an area with activities you all enjoy.

Many ski areas offer a lot of activities to attract folks in the summer-- weekend concerts, zip lines, biking, hiking, wildlife trails, rock climbing walls, alpine coasters, beer festivals, art festivals, golf courses... and of course, restaurants and taverns.

Depending on who is interested in what, you can head off in different combinations. When back at your home base, you can relax in a hot tub, play cards, ... enjoy your time with each other.

Here's a list you may want to scan to see if anything sounds appealing.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...summer-season/

Bon Voyage!

Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 AM

641 posts, read 1,377,354 times
Go to an all-inclusive somewhere warm, or rent a beach house or a house somewhere with a wide variety of activities (Key West, St Augustine, San Diego, Revelstoke, a cabin somewhere beautiful).

Figure out what you want to do while on vacation and go from there--just try to keep it somewhat simple. Inexperienced travelers with extended family, a teen, and a baby should probably steer clear from complicated itineraries and long travel. Fly direct, find somewhere that offers something for everyone with simple transportation (so not everyone has to go everywhere)

Old 04-25-2019, 08:41 AM

325 posts, read 115,924 times
Also, remember your wife. This is not disparaging to you in the slightest but most women bear the brunt of childcare and house care. Usually cooking and cleaning while taking care of the baby. So if you rent a condo remember to give her a break, so she actually gets a vacation not the same stuff in a new location. (This applies to you if you're the one who does all that stuff at home, take a break)

Old 04-25-2019, 08:58 AM

37,138 posts, read 45,664,410 times
I have not been on a Disney Cruise, but we did take a Princess Cruise that was geared for families. I think my son was about 7. He would go off on daily activities which he enjoyed, and in ports and at dinner, we were together.

Your baby will not care where she is, and I doubt you would want to turn her over to a strange day care situation, so I would gear the cruise to the 15 year old. She will not get bored, because there is so much to do. On a ship, you will be able to get settled comfortably, the 15 year old can babysit in the evening, and you all can go back and forth in ports and see the sights. It’s not easy traveling with a baby, so I’d vote cruise.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:33 AM

629 posts, read 493,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
Go to an all-inclusive somewhere warm, or rent a beach house or a house somewhere with a wide variety of activities (Key West, St Augustine, San Diego, Revelstoke, a cabin somewhere beautiful).

Figure out what you want to do while on vacation and go from there--just try to keep it somewhat simple. Inexperienced travelers with extended family, a teen, and a baby should probably steer clear from complicated itineraries and long travel. Fly direct, find somewhere that offers something for everyone with simple transportation (so not everyone has to go everywhere)

Agree with all of this, which elaborates on some things I suggested upstream. Keep it simple and don't move around too much. Non-stop airfare is a must. Travelling with a 1 year old is NOT the time to be island hopping in the Caribbean or exploring multiple European cities.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:10 PM

1,840 posts, read 742,845 times
To keep your sanity, at most a few hours plane ride. You never know what your child will do. Being cramped in a narrow plane for 8+ hours flying somewhere far while trying to change her diaper or feed her or deal with her temper tantrum or restlessness while wondering if the other passengers will yell at you will aggravate any parent!

One year old is too young for her to understand anything, so go anywhere YOU want to go. If you don't like Disney to begin with, wait until she's about 5 years old so she knows what's going on. You can still push her in a stroller too!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:22 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,789,109 times
Your wife works, wants to spend time with her baby on a vacation. So leaving the baby home is not an option. Maybe this just isn't the time to do a big splurge travel far away vacation for you guys. A long flight with a one year old is no fun. Neither is shlepping a baby to Disney. And even with babysitting on a Disney cruise, it's still a waste to have to take care of a baby on a cruise. I would say a Mexican beach stay would be fun, but you risk the baby and the rest of you getting 'turista' gastroenteritis. What about a week at a beach resort in Southern California? San Diego will have water warm enough for swimming at the beach, and a nice resort will have lots of pools. Plus you have Sea World and the San Diego Zoo to visit. Plenty of relatively easy nonstops from Seattle to Southern California.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:54 PM

1,837 posts, read 790,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Just looking for advice, if anyone has any to offer.

Husband and wife in our 30's with a 15yr DD and what will soon be a 1yr old DD. Will also probably travel with wife's sister and BIL.

Looking at a "splurge" vacation. We take road-trip-type vacations a couple of times per year, but probably only manage a "big", plane-ride-type vacation about every 4 years or so. And clearly, we now have a little baby (soon to be toddler), so that's a completely different factor.

We were looking at the typical Disney World vacation, but not sure that would be good with a 1-year old. I'm thinking that it would be a lot of ride-skipping because the baby will need someone to watch her while everyone else is doing stuff. Also, we're in WA state, so the heat is not something the baby is used to (we took the 15 year old when she was 2, and she cried the whole time because she was hot). Might be better to wait until the next "splurge" - since she will probably be 4 or 5 years old, and would be able to do more and appreciate more of the "Disney experience".

Cruise? I'm thinking maybe a Disney cruise, since there would be stuff for the kids and even babysitting for the baby when we needed a break. But I'm not sure that BIL would be into being stuck with tons of kids with no escape for a week...

A Mediterranean cruise? BIL is Italian, so he would like it. But it would be very expensive and the plane ride might be tough on a 1 year old.

Any advice, stories of personal experiences with kids, or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
You are in Washington State, why not an Alaska cruise? Yes a Disney cruise makes you automatically think kids but other cruise lines have babysitting. For example, Royal Caribbean has a royal tots program for 6-36 month olds. There are other cruises from the Pacific coast that might be enjoyable. 15 is hardly a child and many of the other lines have lots to do for a teenager. The baby won't know any different. No flying necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or