Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 02:21 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Just looking for advice, if anyone has any to offer.

Husband and wife in our 30's with a 15yr DD and what will soon be a 1yr old DD. Will also probably travel with wife's sister and BIL.

Looking at a "splurge" vacation. We take road-trip-type vacations a couple of times per year, but probably only manage a "big", plane-ride-type vacation about every 4 years or so. And clearly, we now have a little baby (soon to be toddler), so that's a completely different factor.

We were looking at the typical Disney World vacation, but not sure that would be good with a 1-year old. I'm thinking that it would be a lot of ride-skipping because the baby will need someone to watch her while everyone else is doing stuff. Also, we're in WA state, so the heat is not something the baby is used to (we took the 15 year old when she was 2, and she cried the whole time because she was hot). Might be better to wait until the next "splurge" - since she will probably be 4 or 5 years old, and would be able to do more and appreciate more of the "Disney experience".

Cruise? I'm thinking maybe a Disney cruise, since there would be stuff for the kids and even babysitting for the baby when we needed a break. But I'm not sure that BIL would be into being stuck with tons of kids with no escape for a week...

A Mediterranean cruise? BIL is Italian, so he would like it. But it would be very expensive and the plane ride might be tough on a 1 year old.

Any advice, stories of personal experiences with kids, or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, right. A Med cruise from Washington State. 10 hours in an economy seat with a 1 year old. Then a connection. Probably 20 hours door to door. For a family emergency? Sure. You suck it up and deal with it. For a vacation? The OP is out of their mind. Even Orlando to Seattle is 6 1/2 hours flight time.
Chill, buddy. I literally said that exact thing. That's why I'm asking. No need to be snarky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 02:29 PM

Thanks to all for the replies and advice.

We have actually done Alaska cruises 3 times, just never with kids. May consider it again...

We had also considered a "Mexican Riviera" cruise, which is apparently down the west coast of Mexico.

And I do agree that a big vacation with a 1 year old is not ideal, but my wife and I both have very high-stress jobs, and I get to the point where I NEED to do something else. Even the stress of taking a kid on vacation will be welcome change and different type of stress than the day-in, day-out stress of my job. So we are taking this vacation, just still not sure where.

Thanks again.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:32 PM

We'd also love to go to the Grand Canyon, but last year we went to Glacier, and it was wall-to-wall people the entire time.

Maybe it's just me but I expect wall-to-wall people at Disney - so I just deal with it. But I hate wall-to-wall people when I'm trying to get back to nature. So the Glacier trip was disappointing.

Maybe the Grand Canyon would be okay in the off-season, but then we'd have to pull the 15-year old from school.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:39 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times
Quote:
We'd also love to go to the Grand Canyon, but last year we went to Glacier, and it was wall-to-wall people the entire time.

Maybe it's just me but I expect wall-to-wall people at Disney - so I just deal with it. But I hate wall-to-wall people when I'm trying to get back to nature. So the Glacier trip was disappointing.

Maybe the Grand Canyon would be okay in the off-season, but then we'd have to pull the 15-year old from school.

We visited the Grand Canyon last February with our then 4 year old. It wasn't wall to wall busy, but there were plenty of visitors as there likely are year round. We visited the South Rim and stuck to the major viewpoints, but if you visited the North Rim it's likely to be much, much quieter. I love the Grand Canyon.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:47 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
My suggestion is Hawaii, probably to Maui, and then you can do a one week cruise from Honolulu. Get a luxury apartment, lots to see, it is just so beautiful there. It is not too long a flight.

Otherwise, our very favourite part of the US, the parks in Utah. Stay in Moab somewhere nice and you could share the little one around when walking.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
nice resort with biking / hiking many cafe choices, poolside / separate rooms.

Gatlinburg?

If the kid gets cranky, at least they have some stability / same surroundings... (not always on the go)

Parents can retreat to their qtrs, as can you.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:53 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
I agree... can the baby stay home? The travel won't be pleasant for her (or anyone around you), she will not know what's going on, there is nothing she will be able to enjoy, there is nothing she will remember, etc. If the goal is to spend time with her, you might as well stay home (and if the goal is to spend time with hier, then why take her somewhere that you will put her into childcare or separate kid activities apart from you?). If you're going to "splurge" on this vacation, I'm sure that for a large amount of money you want to be able to experience a place fully, to do more than go kid-friendly places and work around naptimes and temper tantrums and possible illnesses. IOW, taking her will be extra expense, but what will she or anyone get out of it?

Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
If the baby is coming, I would lean towards postponing the splurge vacation and going with someplace that is a short to medium road trip, or maybe a short flight (~2 hours).

I recommend someplace with a cabin, cottage, or house you can rent. That way you will have your own space, not really having to worry about the baby bothering anyone. I find those sorts of destinations to be more relaxing, too. You might use the kitchen or grill to cook at your rental instead of dealing with high chairs and busy tourist restaurants. The itinerary is usually a little looser, there's no pressure to see and do all the things...you'll just hang out on the beach or go on a hike in the woods or bike on a trail whatever. Maybe toss in a few "light" activities like miniature golf or ice cream. Catch up on books, play games with family, etc.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:29 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
If the baby is coming, I would lean towards postponing the splurge vacation and going with someplace that is a short to medium road trip, or maybe a short flight (~2 hours).

I recommend someplace with a cabin, cottage, or house you can rent. That way you will have your own space, not really having to worry about the baby bothering anyone. I find those sorts of destinations to be more relaxing, too. You might use the kitchen or grill to cook at your rental instead of dealing with high chairs and busy tourist restaurants. The itinerary is usually a little looser, there's no pressure to see and do all the things...you'll just hang out on the beach or go on a hike in the woods or bike on a trail whatever. Maybe toss in a few "light" activities like miniature golf or ice cream. Catch up on books, play games with family, etc.
Yes but....where’s mom’s vacation? Before I pay a lot of money to go cook in a cabin, I’d rather stay home in my own kitchen. On a cruise there’s no cooking and everyone can eat what and when they want.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:13 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes but....where’s mom’s vacation? Before I pay a lot of money to go cook in a cabin, I’d rather stay home in my own kitchen. On a cruise there’s no cooking and everyone can eat what and when they want.
It depends on the individual family and what they want to get away from while on vacation. It sounds like OP's family is in need of some slowed down together time with family. The aspect of simply having enough time and space to cook at a relaxed pace in a relaxed environment might be attractive. In addition to just spending some time together in their rental instead of trying to cram in every last attraction and event at Disney or on a cruise.

Quote:
I had considered leaving the baby at home, but I'm not sure my wife would be okay with that - she is constantly complaining about having to work and not being home with the baby enough.
Quote:
my wife and I both have very high-stress jobs, and I get to the point where I NEED to do something else. Even the stress of taking a kid on vacation will be welcome change and different type of stress than the day-in, day-out stress of my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel