U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 01:50 PM

21,164 posts, read 11,768,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It depends on the individual family and what they want to get away from while on vacation. It sounds like OP's family is in need of some slowed down together time with family. The aspect of simply having enough time and space to cook at a relaxed pace in a relaxed environment might be attractive. In addition to just spending some time together in their rental instead of trying to cram in every last attraction and event at Disney or on a cruise.
Still doesn't mean that she wants to shop, cook and clean up after on her vacation.

And you don't have to cram in every last attraction that happens to be where you are. For instance, I mentioned if they went to Disneyland, OP and his wife could take the baby back to the room for a nap and then some pool time rather than spending all their time in the park. But their 15 year old would have things to do to keep herself busy.

Staying at a resort with onsite activities would provide a similar dynamic. Every member of the family should get a chance to relax and get a break from daily responsibilities on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 02:24 PM

5,951 posts, read 6,854,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Still doesn't mean that she wants to shop, cook and clean up after on her vacation.
I think you're projecting a bit here. We don't know who does which chores in their family, or if they enjoy these things or not. I can only go off my own experience -- I like to cook and shop if I have sufficient time and energy to do it (oh my god, the husband cooks?! ). This is extra true on vacation when there are few other stressors bothering me (things like ...Oh I really should be mowing the lawn, or organizing the garage or whatever).

I related to some of the things OP said and shared the type of vacation I'd like to do in his situation. It's up to him and his family to make the final call of course.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:01 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,174,894 times
I would vote for a cruise and not necessarily a Disney Cruise. Your 15yo would probably have a great time in the programs Carnival has for teenagers. She will likely make friends to stay in contact with for a long time afterward. Since you’ve been on cruises before, you know that it is the most relaxing, because you don’t have to pack/unpack except at the beginning or end, you don’t have to do dishes, or even look for restaurants.

The 1yo will require your attention the same amount of time no matter what you choose, but the cruise will free up your other time, so that you can enjoy the amenities on board. Carnival has babysitting (not free) if your 15yo wants to do something with her new friends. The babysitter or your 15yo can keep you informed via the HUB app on your cell phone while you are doing your own thing. That feature is $5 for the whole cruise.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:01 PM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Just looking for advice, if anyone has any to offer.

Husband and wife in our 30's with a 15yr DD and what will soon be a 1yr old DD. Will also probably travel with wife's sister and BIL.
What joy do you think the baby will derive from your travel plans? let me tell you from experience=none.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What joy do you think the baby will derive from your travel plans? let me tell you from experience=none.
So what? All the other family members will benefit from the vacation, and the baby will be happy spending time with her family and experiencing new things even if she doesn't remember them. It's all good.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:23 PM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Just looking for advice, if anyone has any to offer.
Husband and wife in our 30's with a 15yr DD and what will soon be a 1yr old DD.
Will also probably travel with wife's sister and BIL.
Anywhere you can drive home from in X hours will be fine.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:00 AM

7,311 posts, read 4,151,370 times
Quote:
We take road-trip-type vacations a couple of times per year, but probably only manage a "big", plane-ride-type vacation about every 4 years or so.
One final thought: after you’ve narrowed the choices down to two or three options that seem reasonable, consider asking your 15 year old which option she’d prefer - because this may well be the last “big” family vacation you will take with her.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:00 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,318,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So what? All the other family members will benefit from the vacation, and the baby will be happy spending time with her family and experiencing new things even if she doesn't remember them. It's all good.
Yes, thank you. We plan to take a vacation WITH the baby, not FOR the baby. As long as she and us aren't miserable, then I'm fine if the baby doesn't directly benefit from the vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
One final thought: after you’ve narrowed the choices down to two or three options that seem reasonable, consider asking your 15 year old which option she’d prefer - because this may well be the last “big” family vacation you will take with her.
Good point, thank you. We haven't really had a "family discussion" about this quite yet, but that certainly needs to happen.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:47 PM

I happened to come across this and had to share it since it is so apropos for this thread
Attached Thumbnails
Best vacation for inexperienced family with 1 year old?-fb_img_1556588659653.jpg  

Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM

315 posts, read 158,551 times
I live in San Diego and it's a great place to visit with a little one and a teenager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or