U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 01:27 PM

9,523 posts, read 13,461,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
this^^^^^. People take vacations from one year olds - not with them.
lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 12:53 PM

5,688 posts, read 3,655,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
We were looking at the typical Disney World vacation, but not sure that would be good with a 1-year old.
How 'bout this instead: go to a sauna, just you and your baby, and stand immobile for an hour at a time. Step outside for one minute, then go right back in and do it again. Do this for about 12 hours straight. This will approximate your experience at Disney World with a 1-year-old, only much more economically!

Seriously, forget about Disney World. The sweet spot for capturing the Disney magic is from around age 5 to age 10 or so. Child No. 1 is too old, and Child No. 2 is too young. To say nothing of BIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Cruise? I'm thinking maybe a Disney cruise, since there would be stuff for the kids and even babysitting for the baby when we needed a break. But I'm not sure that BIL would be into being stuck with tons of kids with no escape for a week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
You are in Washington State, why not an Alaska cruise? Yes a Disney cruise makes you automatically think kids but other cruise lines have babysitting. For example, Royal Caribbean has a royal tots program for 6-36 month olds. There are other cruises from the Pacific coast that might be enjoyable. 15 is hardly a child and many of the other lines have lots to do for a teenager. The baby won't know any different. No flying necessary.
I think that a cruise is a great idea, and I especially like the idea of doing Alaska since you are already there in Washington State and thus can presumably drive to the port. I would actually recommend a line other than Disney, because (1) it will be cheaper, and (2) it will be more geared towards the interests of the other members of your family. Personally I recommend Royal Caribbean, but there are other choices as well.

If you're looking for a destination vacation, I would look into a resort in someplace warm, like San Diego or Hawaii, as other posters have mentioned.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 PM

6,034 posts, read 13,139,332 times
We took a vacation to an all inclusive resort in Hawaii with kids and it was so relaxing and so much fun. You fly there, take a taxi to the resort, and you just don't have to leave for as long as you are booked there. Older kids had plenty to do with surfing lessons, snorkeling, tennis, etc. and younger kids could dig in the sand with parents, grandma, etc. We stayed at Turtle Bay on Oahu but there are lots of other options. Had the best pedicure and massage of my life on that vacation! Watched whales in the ocean while someone worked the knots out of my shoulder blades. It was awesome.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 PM

477 posts, read 511,065 times
We recently did a week long Disney cruise and I was bored out of my mind. We have a 3 and 5 year old. Both sets of grandparents came as well. My MIL who is a Disney fanatic was the only one who seemed to enjoy it. My husband and I have been on other cruises without the kids which we enjoyed. The Disney one was mainly photo ops with the princesses, small water play area a movie theatre and kids club thar our kids didn't like. Anyway, never again.

We did go to Aulani in HI, which is a Disney property and had a great time. When our son was 18 months. The pool area is fun and the water slide will be good for the 15 year old. It's on a very calm little beach too.

We just returned from Italy and France with the kids and it was fun but tough. Lots of walking/trains and not stroller friendly due to old streets and lots of stairs. So our kids toughed it out as we backpacked. Not great for a one year old. Not sure about 15 year old it depends on her personality.

Overall I would definitely recommend Aulani or probably other HI hotels. I like the tropical travel but my husband won't travel to south/central America or Jamaica since he doesn't feel safe so we end up in HI for those trips. It's safe and lots to do without a horribly long flight. I don't think the one year old will appreciate Disney World yet.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:27 AM

5,960 posts, read 6,863,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
We recently did a week long Disney cruise and I was bored out of my mind. We have a 3 and 5 year old. Both sets of grandparents came as well. My MIL who is a Disney fanatic was the only one who seemed to enjoy it. My husband and I have been on other cruises without the kids which we enjoyed. The Disney one was mainly photo ops with the princesses, small water play area a movie theatre and kids club thar our kids didn't like. Anyway, never again.
I hadn't considered this about cruises, but it's a great point. You can't really call an audible and switch the plans up when you're stuck on a cruise ship.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:49 PM

1,838 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
How 'bout this instead: go to a sauna, just you and your baby, and stand immobile for an hour at a time. Step outside for one minute, then go right back in and do it again. Do this for about 12 hours straight. This will approximate your experience at Disney World with a 1-year-old, only much more economically!

Seriously, forget about Disney World. The sweet spot for capturing the Disney magic is from around age 5 to age 10 or so. Child No. 1 is too old, and Child No. 2 is too young. To say nothing of BIL.

I think that a cruise is a great idea, and I especially like the idea of doing Alaska since you are already there in Washington State and thus can presumably drive to the port. I would actually recommend a line other than Disney, because (1) it will be cheaper, and (2) it will be more geared towards the interests of the other members of your family. Personally I recommend Royal Caribbean, but there are other choices as well.

If you're looking for a destination vacation, I would look into a resort in someplace warm, like San Diego or Hawaii, as other posters have mentioned.
I disagree that child 1 is too old. Since retiring to a Florida we have taken 3 of my nieces to Disney several times and they loved it. They are 22, 18 and 16. They were a few years younger the first time but having never been they were amazed. I do agree it is a waste on a 1 yo given the costs.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:58 PM

21,186 posts, read 11,808,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I disagree that child 1 is too old. Since retiring to a Florida we have taken 3 of my nieces to Disney several times and they loved it. They are 22, 18 and 16. They were a few years younger the first time but having never been they were amazed. I do agree it is a waste on a 1 yo given the costs.
Children under 3 are free at both DL and WDW, so there would be no added expense for the 1 year old other than some food or souvenirs as desired.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:47 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,546,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
I live in San Diego and it's a great place to visit with a little one and a teenager.
Last year, we took our 5 month old and 2 year old on a 2 week trip on Central / Southern Cali coasts. While it was enjoyable, it was a little tough lugging around both kids and staying in three different locations over that span. We stayed with family in Cayucos for a few days, drove south on to San Diego, and then back north and stayed a few days at Venice Beach. We loved the trip, and flying across the country from Pittsburgh was not nearly as bad as people tried to say it would be.

This year, we are taking our now 1 year old and three year old and spending the whole two weeks in San Diego. We should be able to get in even more activity that way, and less stress due to only staying in one location. San Diego has a lot for kids of all ages, including the Zoo and Legoland, in addition to the beaches.

If you don't want to take the long flight over the ocean to Hawaii, but like the idea of a warm weather west coast destination, San Diego has enough to keep you busy for sure. If we lived on the west coast already, we'd probably do a Hawaii all-inclusive, like someone else suggested, especially since you've already done the Alaskan cruise thing.

To those who say you can't enjoy a vacation with a one-year old, I am sorry for your unfortunately narrow mind.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,218,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You’re going to fly with a 1-year-old? Why?
My thoughts exactly!

We have a child not much older. Love to travel but there's no way we are getting on a plane with a wiggly, whining toddler. Our family rule is to keep kids that can't self entertain off planes. We go off for long weekends and leave the little one at home with a trusted friend or relative. There's no suggestion for a splurge vacation involving a child that age and a plane.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 AM

9,523 posts, read 13,461,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
My thoughts exactly!

We have a child not much older. Love to travel but there's no way we are getting on a plane with a wiggly, whining toddler. Our family rule is to keep kids that can't self entertain off planes. We go off for long weekends and leave the little one at home with a trusted friend or relative. There's no suggestion for a splurge vacation involving a child that age and a plane.
Thank you for being considerate.

People pay a lot of money to fly and the last thing most people want is some toddler screaming and running up & down the aisles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or