Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 01:34 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times

Advertisements

Just looking for advice, if anyone has any to offer.

Husband and wife in our 30's with a 15yr DD and what will soon be a 1yr old DD. Will also probably travel with wife's sister and BIL.

Looking at a "splurge" vacation. We take road-trip-type vacations a couple of times per year, but probably only manage a "big", plane-ride-type vacation about every 4 years or so. And clearly, we now have a little baby (soon to be toddler), so that's a completely different factor.

We were looking at the typical Disney World vacation, but not sure that would be good with a 1-year old. I'm thinking that it would be a lot of ride-skipping because the baby will need someone to watch her while everyone else is doing stuff. Also, we're in WA state, so the heat is not something the baby is used to (we took the 15 year old when she was 2, and she cried the whole time because she was hot). Might be better to wait until the next "splurge" - since she will probably be 4 or 5 years old, and would be able to do more and appreciate more of the "Disney experience".

Cruise? I'm thinking maybe a Disney cruise, since there would be stuff for the kids and even babysitting for the baby when we needed a break. But I'm not sure that BIL would be into being stuck with tons of kids with no escape for a week...

A Mediterranean cruise? BIL is Italian, so he would like it. But it would be very expensive and the plane ride might be tough on a 1 year old.

Any advice, stories of personal experiences with kids, or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 03:29 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Is there any possibility of Baby going off on a vacation with Grandma and Grandpa while the rest of the family goes off on the splurge trip? With an infant or young toddler the rest of the family has to work around the baby's schedule, which might prove very frustrating for your 15 year old who understandably will be wanting to be out and about doing things on a 'splurge" trip.

Most people I know who travel with very young children recommend a "home-base" type of trip, where they stay in a single location (could be a cruise ship, or a condo/apartment rental) for the duration of the trip and explore the local area. The adults can trade off the babysitting duties, so everyone gets some time to explore and have fun, and kiddo can settle into a predictable routine which makes things a lot easier on the adults.

Bear in mind that jet lag and babies don't go well together! if you're going to travel a long distance, going north-south will be a lot easier then east-west.

Oh, and for what it's worth Disney cruises are very, VERY good at keeping the adults-only spaces on the ship really adults-only. So BIL would have on-board refuges from the kiddy crowd when he needs them. Disney's cruise line is definitely worth a look!

Old 04-23-2019, 04:01 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Oh, and for what it's worth Disney cruises are very, VERY good at keeping the adults-only spaces on the ship really adults-only. So BIL would have on-board refuges from the kiddy crowd when he needs them. Disney's cruise line is definitely worth a look!
I second the recommendation of a Disney cruise. Sure, there will be a lot of kids on board, but Disney is very good at keeping them away from adults who want to be away from them. Disney cruises are expensive, but IMO worth it. I suggest looking into it more deeply.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:03 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Is there any possibility of Baby going off on a vacation with Grandma and Grandpa while the rest of the family goes off on the splurge trip? With an infant or young toddler the rest of the family has to work around the baby's schedule, which might prove very frustrating for your 15 year old who understandably will be wanting to be out and about doing things on a 'splurge" trip.

Most people I know who travel with very young children recommend a "home-base" type of trip, where they stay in a single location (could be a cruise ship, or a condo/apartment rental) for the duration of the trip and explore the local area. The adults can trade off the babysitting duties, so everyone gets some time to explore and have fun, and kiddo can settle into a predictable routine which makes things a lot easier on the adults.

Bear in mind that jet lag and babies don't go well together! if you're going to travel a long distance, going north-south will be a lot easier then east-west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I second the recommendation of a Disney cruise. Sure, there will be a lot of kids on board, but Disney is very good at keeping them away from adults who want to be away from them. Disney cruises are expensive, but IMO worth it. I suggest looking into it more deeply.
Thanks so much for the advice! I had considered leaving the baby at home, but I'm not sure my wife would be okay with that - she is constantly complaining about having to work and not being home with the baby enough.

I will look into the Disney cruise - that sounds like a good balance of adult exploration with "kid time". Thanks!

Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Leave the baby home with a relative.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:42 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
We were looking at the typical Disney World vacation, but not sure that would be good with a 1-year old. I'm thinking that it would be a lot of ride-skipping because the baby will need someone to watch her while everyone else is doing stuff.
Not saying whether or not I think a Disney vacation is right for you, but just wanted to offer this bit of info to alleviate this specific concern.

Many Disney rides offer a "baby swap" ... while one of you sits out with the baby, the other parent and the 15yo go on the ride. When they're done, mom and dad swap the baby, and whoever waited the first time gets to ride the ride, and even gets to skip the line. It also means the 15yo gets to ride twice.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu.../rider-switch/

Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
You’re going to fly with a 1-year-old? Why?

Old 04-24-2019, 03:50 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You’re going to fly with a 1-year-old? Why?
While I cant think of a vacation that would be enjoyable for and with a child that young I dont see any reason why you wouldn't fly with a 1 year old. I've done it, short flights arent bad.

The only advice I can give you about flying is buy the kid his own seat and bring his carseat. For one its safer but also if you strap your kid in they wont want to climb around. It will be the same as if you were in the car to your child. He wont expect to be let out of his seat

Old 04-24-2019, 04:21 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
While I cant think of a vacation that would be enjoyable for and with a child that young I dont see any reason why you wouldn't fly with a 1 year old. I've done it, short flights arent bad.

The only advice I can give you about flying is buy the kid his own seat and bring his carseat. For one its safer but also if you strap your kid in they wont want to climb around. It will be the same as if you were in the car to your child. He wont expect to be let out of his seat
Yeah, right. A Med cruise from Washington State. 10 hours in an economy seat with a 1 year old. Then a connection. Probably 20 hours door to door. For a family emergency? Sure. You suck it up and deal with it. For a vacation? The OP is out of their mind. Even Orlando to Seattle is 6 1/2 hours flight time.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:56 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, right. A Med cruise from Washington State. 10 hours in an economy seat with a 1 year old. Then a connection. Probably 20 hours door to door. For a family emergency? Sure. You suck it up and deal with it. For a vacation? The OP is out of their mind. Even Orlando to Seattle is 6 1/2 hours flight time.
I don't think flying to Italy from seattle is a good idea either. but you just said flying, seeming to mean youre averse to 1 year olds flying in general.

OP, if you were thinking Disney why not Disneyland? Its smaller and easier to handle and a much shorter flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel