U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:24 PM

2,867 posts, read 6,405,166 times

Advertisements

We will be traveling in our RV through Canada to Alaska and back.

I am interested in purchasing travel medical insurance for the Canada part and having trouble deciphering the policies.

They all seem to be based on a traditional defined trip using a common carrier and base coverage dates on the ticket dates.

Examples:

Travelex via the square mouth site I asked a chat rep and they said a common carrier was required.

GeoBlue has the best deal price wise but the policy starts/ends when boarding a "conveyance" but doesn't define that term. I tried contacting them via email and phone. It took several days for them to email back and then it was only a generic email and didn't answer my question. Tried calling but was on endless hold so chose the voicemail option but no callback received.

I don't need trip interruption, baggage, etc. Only interested in medical, evacuation, prescriptions etc.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 02:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Do you domicile in USA?

If FT RVing... Have you checked with Escapees forum?
https://www.escapees.com/benefits/es...are-solutions/

I have used World Nomad, for international HC insurance. I couldn't give them flight / ship / train / bus / auto numbers or even countries, as we were 'open loop'. They just need to know when you return to your domicile so they no longer have to cover you.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:48 PM

7,311 posts, read 4,154,596 times
Check out World Nomads. You might also give the folks at Trip Insurance Store a call; they sell a few travel-medical-only policies (look on their website under the link"specialties" near the top of the page.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:54 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,080,146 times
We have used RoamRight for Med insurance, in our travels outside of US on a couple of occasions...

I admit I did not read every word of the mice print, but it seemed like decent coverage and at a very reasonable cost for our trips. I am on Medicare, and my wife is still on her pricey NC BCBS, fwiw, but we had to cover our fannies, out of US.

And, a google perusal suggests they get v good reviews, also.

Remember to leave your gun(s) at home, before rolling into CDA.
GL, mD

https://www.roamright.com/travel-health-insurance/

https://www.squaremouth.com/travel-i...-right/reviews

Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 PM

5,231 posts, read 8,395,972 times
This insurer offers a specific Visitors to Canada policy.

No experience with it, but wonder, if you are going onto AK, will you need to get 2 policies. 1 going, 1 coming back ?

https://www.travelinsurance.ca/en/fi...o-canada-plan/

Old 04-24-2019, 05:17 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

I don't need trip interruption, baggage, etc. Only interested in medical, evacuation, prescriptions etc.

Ideas?
I suggest you call some of these travel insurance companies on the phone and speak to a representative. Several years ago I needed the exact type of travel health insurance that you mention above (meaning I didn't need trip interruption, baggage coverage, etc.) and I couldn't find what I wanted on any website. But over the phone, I was able get the right type of travel health insurance which was a cheaper product and therefore probably why they didn't advertise it online. (I simply don't remember the name of the company I used at this point.)

Old 04-24-2019, 11:30 AM

996 posts, read 347,624 times
Try insuremytrip.com You can compare medical and comprehensive policies.

I usually use IMG Travelinsured SE because it has a high medical and evacuation limit and it offers primary insurance coverage.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 PM

9,190 posts, read 9,269,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
We will be traveling in our RV through Canada to Alaska and back.

I am interested in purchasing travel medical insurance for the Canada part and having trouble deciphering the policies.

They all seem to be based on a traditional defined trip using a common carrier and base coverage dates on the ticket dates.

Examples:

Travelex via the square mouth site I asked a chat rep and they said a common carrier was required.

GeoBlue has the best deal price wise but the policy starts/ends when boarding a "conveyance" but doesn't define that term. I tried contacting them via email and phone. It took several days for them to email back and then it was only a generic email and didn't answer my question. Tried calling but was on endless hold so chose the voicemail option but no callback received.

Ideas?
Do you have a credit card like the Chase Reserve Card or American Express Platinum. This type of insurance is a benefit for cardholders.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:03 PM

2,867 posts, read 6,405,166 times
Thanks for everyone's help. I found a policy through tripinsuarncestore.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:47 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,381,850 times
How do you pick a plan? My wife and I are traveling to Argentina in the fall, and Alaska in the summer of 2020.

In Argentina we'll be in a few different cities. But in Alaska we'll be out in the bush. If we get hurt out there, it's a helicopter ride back into town.

Some of the plans only pay hospital to hospital, not med evac.

Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or