U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:36 AM

2,696 posts, read 4,421,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
In a few days we'll be flying down to L.A. to embark on a cruise. The cruise line allows each adult passenger to bring one bottle of their own wine, and since we love our fabulous Oregon wine, we'd like to bring some. However, I'm worried what exposure to the elements in a (presumably) unpressurized cargo hold would do to the wine. Will it freeze, or explode from the pressure? FTR, the bottles are screw-top--don't laugh, a lot of good white wine these days comes in screw-top bottles.
There shouldn't be a problem. Just wrap the bottles in something soft (like a sweater or multiple t-shirts). We took a 7 hour and then a 2 hour flight last year with 8 bottles of wine (2 per adult). No issues.

We also flew to Asia and took a few bottles of scotch in the check-in bag. No issues there either. If you are really worried, maybe see if a liquor store in LA on your way from LAX to the cruise terminal has a liquor store. You can ask the uber driver if they can make a quick pit stop for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 06:38 AM

933 posts, read 480,956 times
No issues for us, properly packed never any breakage. Be sure that the bottle does not have any "wiggle room" to move around inside the luggage. Wrap in a kitchen storage bag to help contain a leak, just in case. Bubble wrap it as it works well to protect it, being cushioned and lightweight.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 AM

14,004 posts, read 7,465,102 times
This thread is bringing back memories of the good ol' days before the 1 quart zip lock bag for liquids when I was often lugging most of a case of wine onto a flight in my carry-on bags. In my family, the term used to be "wine mule". My brother-in-law has a huge wine cellar and has the collector disease. My sister eventually put her foot down and refused to carry more than 2 bottles.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM

16,848 posts, read 7,499,983 times
I recently brought back a couple of bottles in checked baggage, using a pair of old WineSkin bubble wrap protectors. Easy to make your own, as mentioned two posts above, significantly cheaper, the ones I got were free: get some bubble wrap, wrap the bottle securely, then place it an a gallon zip-lock type bag. If there is an unfortunate mishap, the spill is contained. (I had that happen about 15 years ago, a nice bottle of Ontario ice wine busted inside the baggage. Aside from the loss, it was very messy as well.)

Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,114,470 times
I've often wrapped a bottle of beer in bubble wrap, and then a couple of t-shirts round it, to bring back from the US/Canada. Never had a problem getting it home safely.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:05 PM

30,191 posts, read 47,419,427 times
If you want wine to drink in your cabin vs bring to your table, then just buy some before you get on the ship
Surely in LA there are shops carrying Oregon wine...

Old 04-24-2019, 02:09 PM

9,723 posts, read 18,907,494 times
The plane should have a pressurized cargo area so as long as the bottles are packed so they don't break, there shouldn't be other issues.

Check with your ship as to how many bottles you can bring on and how and where they can be drank. Those details change from ship to ship and to where you're drinking them as well.

FWIW, we brought on several bottles each port on our last cruise and only once they asked to store them, the rest of the time they didn't seem to care. They were smaller bottles, though, since we had the usual luggage issues once we got off the ship. There were a lot of bottles of olive oil, too, they didn't seem to fuss much about those.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:07 PM

7,426 posts, read 3,062,103 times
Quote:
In a few days we'll be flying down to L.A. to embark on a cruise. The cruise line allows each adult passenger to bring one bottle of their own wine, and since we love our fabulous Oregon wine, we'd like to bring some. However, I'm worried what exposure to the elements in a (presumably) unpressurized cargo hold would do to the wine. Will it freeze, or explode from the pressure? FTR, the bottles are screw-top--don't laugh, a lot of good white wine these days comes in screw-top bottles.
You'll be fine. The cargo area is semi-presssurized. Just pack carefully.
We usually just buy the wine in the city of embarkation instead of flying with it.
Have a great time!

Old 04-24-2019, 04:37 PM

9,417 posts, read 6,293,632 times
Quote:

I'd be more concerned about TSA, or baggage people, stealing the wine

For God sake, you are going on a cruise.

They will have plenty of wine on the boat. Expand your horizons.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:04 PM

5,477 posts, read 2,936,864 times
I have checked many bottles of wine--never a problem. I do wrap them in bubble wrap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or