U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 PM

900 posts, read 794,060 times

Advertisements

In a few days we'll be flying down to L.A. to embark on a cruise. The cruise line allows each adult passenger to bring one bottle of their own wine, and since we love our fabulous Oregon wine, we'd like to bring some. However, I'm worried what exposure to the elements in a (presumably) unpressurized cargo hold would do to the wine. Will it freeze, or explode from the pressure? FTR, the bottles are screw-top--don't laugh, a lot of good white wine these days comes in screw-top bottles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 10:14 PM

39,319 posts, read 2,966,634 times
IMO,the biggest concern would be breakage or leakage, which could ruin all your cruise clothes & maybe some one elses luggage also. I have one acquaintance, who lost an entire case load of clothes on her vacation, due to a bottle of red wine breaking in the case next to hers. There is probably enough of a wine list to choose from on board or buy something in one of the Ports.

eta: Years ago, I used to pack California wine in my baggage to bring as gifts, it seemed to make the journey Ok, but it has to be packed really well, & I always encased it so if it broke, it would not ruin everything. Now it is easier just to buy it at destination.

Last edited by evening sun; 04-23-2019 at 10:33 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
You know, once you get out to sea, as I recall, you can buy alcohol for dirt cheap in the duty-free shop. It's been a very long time since I went on a cruise out of LA, but that's what I recall.

But, you might want to check the airline website. There are so many restrictions nowadays.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:35 PM

Snow, the last cruise I went on, if you bought duty free alcohol, you could only pick it up on the day of departure. But you may be able to bring in some wine from the Port of Call, as long as you are willing to pay the corkage fee. Of course rules change all the time, so best to check directly with the Cruise line.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:47 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Cargo holds have a good amount of pressure- many airlines ship live animals in them- the concern is more glass breakage from rough handling by ramp workers during loading and unloading the airplane. Plastic bagging the wine and then wrapping all your clothes around it helps, and there are specialty wine protectors you can buy for your suitcase from Amazon and specialty travel stores.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Snow, the last cruise I went on, if you bought duty free alcohol, you could only pick it up on the day of departure. But you may be able to bring in some wine from the Port of Call, as long as you are willing to pay the corkage fee. Of course rules change all the time, so best to check directly with the Cruise line.
Oh, how sneaky of them! I took my daughter on a cruise a very long time ago, Carnival Cruise Mexican Riviera and I bought a bottle of tequila in the duty-free shop and we made our own drinks in our cabin to save money.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh, how sneaky of them! I took my daughter on a cruise a very long time ago, Carnival Cruise Mexican Riviera and I bought a bottle of tequila in the duty-free shop and we made our own drinks in our cabin to save money.
Yes & they were also searching bags upon reentry from a day on land sightseeing, to make sure no contraband booze was smuggled on, They want to sell you the drinks at the bars, ($$$) that is why there is a cottage industry in wine or liquor smuggling bladders etc.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Yes & they were also searching bags upon reentry from a day on land sightseeing, to make sure no contraband booze was smuggled on, They want to sell you the drinks at the bars, ($$$) that is why there is a cottage industry in wine or liquor smuggling bladders etc.
Whoa! Time to boycott!

Old 04-24-2019, 03:16 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
I’ve checked a case of wine coming home from France many times in styrofoam wine shipping boxes. I’ve never had any breakage. The belly of the plane is pressurized. I’ve always declared it and never had to pay duty.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:41 AM

5,745 posts, read 4,163,343 times
OP, you should be fine to pack a bottle of wine as long as you have it well padded in the middle of your clothes. Wrap a layer of sponge around it, secured with duck tape and then surround it with pants and sweaters, etc.

When my husband and I flew to Europe, we had a bottle of Crown Royal in each of our suitcases and they arrived perfectly intact.

Packing them properly is the key to avoid breakage. Make sure the bottle and your clothes are tight in your luggage, so the bottle doesn't slip down to the bottom through loose garments as it is handled by you and the airline staff. If it makes its way down to the bottom, them you will most likely have a big problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or