U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Delayed flight: no co-pilot, private pilots, appropriate credentials, radar glitch, poor service

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM

8,339 posts, read 9,799,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Of course the plane was compatible. And again, this is a true story - my husband experienced this - it is not hoax and I am not making it up.
We're not doubting it happened, but doubting that the announcement of looking for a private pilot was serious. They were saying that announcement in jest - they weren't actually looking for a pilot to fly the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,919,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
We're not doubting it happened, but doubting that the announcement of looking for a private pilot was serious. They were saying that announcement in jest - they weren't actually looking for a pilot to fly the plane.
Yes. But I do think it was a poor choice of words for the hapless passengers who have no real idea what's going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Less regulation is the way to go. If these airlines can not make it on their own they should not exist. There is too much service and too many frequencys on many city pairs, that is why there are so many congestion issues. Let the weaker airlines die and and let the strong, fit airlines survive. Less airlines providing better service at higher fares is where the industry is heading. This will lead to a better industry for everyone. The airlines can charge the fares that cover the cost of the operation, the congestion will ease with less flights and the service will improve with the system not stretched to the limits. The natural market forces should be allowed to craft a fit industry.
I agree. I remember when deregulation began all those years ago. My folks were horrified. My dad (UAL) did not live to see the results, I wonder what he'd be thinking around now.

I would be willing to pay more for better service. IMHO it would be good for airline employees as well as passengers.

I've had goofy stuff happen: an airline, for its boarding passengers, changing a gate 4 times. Boy were our legs tired.
But then I've seen crew do some very admirable things, too: a flight attendant helping a passenger who fainted in the aisle, an unscheduled landing in Dublin (we got the proverbial "Is there a doctor on board?" over the PA system) when a passenger went into diabetic coma.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 AM

8,339 posts, read 9,799,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes. But I do think it was a poor choice of words for the hapless passengers who have no real idea what's going on.
Oh I agree - while surely not said seriously, I don't think it was the smartest thing to do on their behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I've had goofy stuff happen: an airline, for its boarding passengers, changing a gate 4 times. Boy were our legs tired.
But then I've seen crew do some very admirable things, too: a flight attendant helping a passenger who fainted in the aisle, an unscheduled landing in Dublin (we got the proverbial "Is there a doctor on board?" over the PA system) when a passenger went into diabetic coma.
I've had a similar incident happen aboard one flight also - pass. went into diabetic convulsions. We are required to ask for a doctor on board when we patch via radio to 'medlink', a medical service specifically for such problems. We ended up having to divert and offload this fellow onto an ambulance. He was in bad shape. But what really was amazing was his family was upset we did so! This guy was in convulsions, throwing up all over, and wasn't getting better. They said ' he does this everytime we fly, it's no big deal, he's fine when he gets on the ground.' Well, we made sure he got on the ground all right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or