U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:04 PM

3,187 posts, read 7,078,389 times

Advertisements

It's worth it to get a Costco membership even if you don't shop at one to get a rental car. $55 a year you can be sure you will at the very least get that much of a savings on a weekly rental. You can check pricing without a membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 PM

9,224 posts, read 9,295,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
If you get insurance what kind do you usually get?

I noticed on Enterprise web site they had cars to choose from and it was weird because some of the cheaper deals you would think would be more expensive. I see a Nissan Pathfinder that costs more than a Mercedes Benz. Now maybe they are just doing that for selling appeal & you really want get the Benz but a car similar in size?

Also, does anybody have experience with the package they sell for tolls? I think I heard it's around 3.50 a day + whatever tolls you go through. I feel like I'd rather do this than be sorry with a huge fine by them.

Thanks
Some people don't understand that in America your car insurance covers you whenever you use a temporary or substitute motor vehicle. This includes a rental car. The collision damage waiver is not covered, but most people have a credit card that will make up the difference.

Unless you don't own a car of your own that is insured, car rental insurance is a scam that people are often pressured into buying.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:18 PM

4,426 posts, read 4,076,919 times
I always book a Full Size Car. They are only a few dollar more than compact and typically always available and sometime you are lucky and get a free SUV in the mix too.

Most full sized like a Camry, Altima, Sonata, Malibu can get 35-40mpg on the expressway which is almost identical to the cramped economy car so many rush to, which end up getting worse mpg when they are fully loaded because you have to carry all that extra weight vs the fullsized which have bigger engines making the ride more enjoyable.

I use my Visa CC insurance and my own full coverage insurance. Ive only used the insurance at the counter once ever

Old 04-26-2019, 03:58 AM

71,820 posts, read 71,919,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Some people don't understand that in America your car insurance covers you whenever you use a temporary or substitute motor vehicle. This includes a rental car. The collision damage waiver is not covered, but most people have a credit card that will make up the difference.

Unless you don't own a car of your own that is insured, car rental insurance is a scam that people are often pressured into buying.
there still can be pitfalls with credit card insurance as i pointed out .

"If I have full coverage, will I be responsible for any extra fees?

Unfortunately, it’s possible. Rental car agencies often charge “loss-of-use” fees to cover the revenue they lose while a damaged car is in the shop, and those fees can total hundreds of dollars.
Most credit card companies say they will pay those fees as long as the rental car agencies provide documentation, usually a “fleet utilization log,” verifying they actually lost money because the damaged car was out of service. Here’s the problem: rental companies consider those logs confidential. They argue that, legally, they don’t have to provide them. So while your rental company and credit card company play the blame game, you can end up on the hook for the bill. (Note: In some states, such as New York and Wisconsin, car rental companies aren’t allowed to charge loss-of-use fees. In others, auto insurers are required by law to pay those fees.)
Fortunately, credit card companies have become more willing in recent years to pay loss-of-use fees, rental car claims administrators say. Some now accept repair estimates as documentation instead of fleet utilization logs. But rental companies often charge two other fees that may not be covered: administrative fees and “diminution-in-value” or diminished value fees, designed to cover the inherent loss of value to the car because it’s been damaged.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...erage-1273.php

Old 04-26-2019, 05:21 AM

8,211 posts, read 11,932,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
First, I use my own auto insurance with collision, comprehensive and liability to protect myself. Last year, I was driving a Nissan Altima in Racine by an uninsured driver. I had to pay my $1000 deductible LESS the $500 my VISA card provider handled.
Having to pay $500 out-of-pocket isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:26 AM

920 posts, read 235,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Having to pay $500 out-of-pocket isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
So car accidents should just be free?

He could have had $0 out of pocket by carrying a $500 deductible on his auto insurance policy, although I'll imagine he's done the math and has save over $500 by carrying the higher deductible.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
So car accidents should just be free?
Did you miss the part where he didn't cause the accident?

But that's besides the point anyway.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:35 AM

920 posts, read 235,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Did you miss the part where he didn't cause the accident?
Nope, didn't miss that at all. It was an uninsured driver. So, he'd have been out the money whether driving a rental or his own car. Actually, he'd have been out the full thousand if it was his own car.

Still missing that lack of a ringing endorsement.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Nope, didn't miss that at all. It was an uninsured driver. So, he'd have been out the money whether driving a rental or his own car. Actually, he'd have been out the full thousand if it was his own car.

Still missing that lack of a ringing endorsement.
Since you're still obviously missing the point....

The OP was asking about what rental insurance to purchase and the poster to whom I responded chimed in that he used his credit card and it "only" cost him $500.

Gee, where do I sign up?!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 AM

9,224 posts, read 9,295,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there still can be pitfalls with credit card insurance as i pointed out .

"If I have full coverage, will I be responsible for any extra fees?

Unfortunately, it’s possible. Rental car agencies often charge “loss-of-use” fees to cover the revenue they lose while a damaged car is in the shop, and those fees can total hundreds of dollars.
Most credit card companies say they will pay those fees as long as the rental car agencies provide documentation, usually a “fleet utilization log,” verifying they actually lost money because the damaged car was out of service. Here’s the problem: rental companies consider those logs confidential. They argue that, legally, they don’t have to provide them. So while your rental company and credit card company play the blame game, you can end up on the hook for the bill. (Note: In some states, such as New York and Wisconsin, car rental companies aren’t allowed to charge loss-of-use fees. In others, auto insurers are required by law to pay those fees.)
Fortunately, credit card companies have become more willing in recent years to pay loss-of-use fees, rental car claims administrators say. Some now accept repair estimates as documentation instead of fleet utilization logs. But rental companies often charge two other fees that may not be covered: administrative fees and “diminution-in-value” or diminished value fees, designed to cover the inherent loss of value to the car because it’s been damaged.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...erage-1273.php
But those exceptions are so rare a normal person shouldn't live by them.

I believe in insuring against risk, but at some point its just unreasonable to do so.

I wouldn't rent a car at all if I stayed awake at nights worrying about some speculative "loss of use" charge.

Some people want a 100% guarantee that they could never have to pay for anything. That guarantee may not be available in the real world, but even if it is the cost of getting that protection is simply not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or