U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 AM

903 posts, read 232,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Since you're still obviously missing the point....

The OP was asking about what rental insurance to purchase and the poster to whom I responded chimed in that he used his credit card and it "only" cost him $500.

Gee, where do I sign up?!
Nope, not missing the point. As far as, "what rental insurance to purchase?" The answer is none unless one doesn't have primary auto insurance. Why? Because people don't sell things, especially add-ons, unless it's profitable. Car rental insurance wouldn't be profitable if a vast amount of people were actually needing to use it.

Sure, the other poster had to pay $500, but costs are often a part of auto accidents unless one wants to pay the upfront costs of $0 deductible. It would be great if the only accidents out there were not-at-fault accidents with insured drivers, but this is the real world. And, again, because of the supplemental CC insurance, this accident actually cost that poster $500 less than the exact same accident would have cost in his own car.

Most people will still come out way ahead over a lifetime of not purchasing car rental insurance, even with a couple of at-fault accidents and a high deductible, unless they're only renting cars a handful of times in their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 10:21 AM

7,266 posts, read 4,150,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Having to pay $500 out-of-pocket isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
It's a long-term thing. I've rented a lot over the years and have saved many thousands by declining the rip-off insurance they try and guilt trip you into buying.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:14 AM

646 posts, read 242,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's a long-term thing. I've rented a lot over the years and have saved many thousands by declining the rip-off insurance they try and guilt trip you into buying.
Bingo.
I'd rather risk using my own insurance and/or whatever my CC will cover. All the times I decline the BS rental car coverage will more than make up for the rare time I might have an incident.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:14 AM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
So car accidents should just be free?

He could have had $0 out of pocket by carrying a $500 deductible on his auto insurance policy, although I'll imagine he's done the math and has save over $500 by carrying the higher deductible.

Agreed. In 38 years, I have used my car insurance collision coverage ONCE. The difference between
a $500 and $1000 deductible is $150+ a year so the payback is three years.

The real question is why doesn't the State of Wisconsin have criminal penalties for operating a motor vehicle without the STATE MANDATED liability insurance?

Old 04-26-2019, 12:47 PM

674 posts, read 180,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
If you get insurance what kind do you usually get?

I noticed on Enterprise web site they had cars to choose from and it was weird because some of the cheaper deals you would think would be more expensive. I see a Nissan Pathfinder that costs more than a Mercedes Benz. Now maybe they are just doing that for selling appeal & you really want get the Benz but a car similar in size?

Also, does anybody have experience with the package they sell for tolls? I think I heard it's around 3.50 a day + whatever tolls you go through. I feel like I'd rather do this than be sorry with a huge fine by them.

Thanks
One is always better off using your own ez pass if you have one or paying cash- take receipts as a proof.
Even with EZpass ( as an example,) drive through the toll booth which says cash- they take ez pass there as well, so you make sure you do not have “ video toll” or whatever the company uses.
It will cost you money. Hertz charges $5.95 a day for the duration of rental once their PlatePass( third party system) was used, even you only paid toll on the first day.Tolls charged without discount( when you pay by your own ez pass you get discount and off- peak travel discount if offered)
If by chance your ez pass was not read in an open lane- you my get charge convenience fees

Old 04-26-2019, 12:57 PM

674 posts, read 180,676 times
Regarding insurance: one still may end up paying extras even with his one insurance.
My agent described situations not covered by my auto insurance- namely some made up rental companies” documentation issue fees”, “ loss of profit” while car in a shop, “ loss of resale value”.
My agent described in one case they did not cover “ document issuance “ fee of $150, loss of profit -$175, plus loss of value- forgot what she said- in a case of a minor parking incident

Old 04-26-2019, 03:57 PM

6,562 posts, read 7,991,101 times
You need to pay with the credit card to get the credit card insurance. Then if you sign up for the car company insurance note that the credit company won’t pay. So it is usually one or the other to my understanding.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 PM

5,205 posts, read 671,612 times
A story....

A few years back I got tickets to a concert in Boston (I live in CT) and asked a co-worker if she'd like to go along. She agreed but suggested that we rent a car (not sure why)

Her 40th birthday was the weekend before the concert. I was to get to her place early to help decorate. I drove around that morning looking for cheap decorations but was not having much luck. I was on my way back to my apartment when I decided to bypass it and instead to go to the package store for some wine for the party. I past by my apartment complex and almost immediately thereafter out of NOWHERE a HUGE branch crashed onto the hood of my car (a Mazda 2) and seriously cracked my windshield. There was no storm, no blustery wind, nothing--and very few trees on that side of the road. I didn't stop but instead drove "through" the branch and waited until I got to the package store parking lot to inspect the damage. I was hoping that the car just suffered windshield damage, but no, there was damage to the body of the car as well. My friend and her husband had to pick me up/drop me back home for her party (neither was pleased)

The next day I took the car to the body shop which also had an adjoining Enterprise location. I ended up with a Chevy Malibu. I was told it would take about a week to get my car back. I took the insurance through Enterprise as I figured that my personal insurance was already being eaten up by "the act of God" tree branch accident. I told my friend, "Well, you got your wish--we have a rental."

Fast forward to the weekend of the concert. The concert was Saturday evening but we went up Friday night and stayed at her dad's place in Manchester-By-The-Sea.

The next morning we went for breakfast at the local hotspot, George's in Gloucester. I had to park further down a busy street as there was no off street parking. We waited in line for a bit. We had just been seated when a local police officer comes into the restaurant and asks, "Is there anyone here who owns a Chevy Malibu with CT plates?" My friend, thoroughly panicked, looked at me and exclaimed, "No!" We rushed to the front of the restaurant and were told that the Malibu had been sideswiped by a guy driving a delivery van who had sneezed and lost control of his vehicle. By the time we got to the scene the car was being loaded onto the back of a flatbed tow truck.

I took one look at the car and quipped, "Good thing I took the insurance."

The officer asked who's car it was and we told him it was a rental. He asked which rental company and when we told him Enterprise he said that he had to get us down there right away as they closed at noon and it was already after 11 AM. He had us jump into the patrol car and he drove us over. The officer followed us in and explained the situation to the rental agent, emphasizing that the accident was not our fault. We wound up with a big-ass white Caravan with Maryland plates. We never did give our personal info to the police.

Other weird and insane stuff happened during the weekend, but all in all we had a great time at the concert, and I even got an impromptu picture with the band!

When I got home on Sunday I realized that I never picked up my phone or e-mail messages from Friday. It turns out I got a call from the body shop on Friday afternoon indicating that my car was ready.

If I had picked up my car on Friday and drove IT to Boston MY car would have been thoroughly obliterated.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:01 AM

9,200 posts, read 9,280,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Regarding insurance: one still may end up paying extras even with his one insurance.
My agent described situations not covered by my auto insurance- namely some made up rental companies” documentation issue fees”, “ loss of profit” while car in a shop, “ loss of resale value”.
My agent described in one case they did not cover “ document issuance “ fee of $150, loss of profit -$175, plus loss of value- forgot what she said- in a case of a minor parking incident
Maybe so, but do you think this justifies people taking out expensive insurance through the rental agency?

At some point, you just have to say "enough is enough". Its difficult to protect yourself from every risk that is imaginable.

I don't plan on getting whacked for a few hundred dollars extra when I go on vacation, but if I did I'd write it off as the cost of doing what I enjoy. Since I travel at least two to three times a year for pleasure and have done so for thirty plus years without this happening I don't think it would be a big deal if it did. Maybe some people are in a different situation. However, if you really can't afford an emergency where you are expected to come up with say another $300 than my advice is don't go traveling and don't rent a car.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:18 PM

20,778 posts, read 13,771,877 times
Just to be clear, vehicle rental places do not sell insurance per se; rather various waivers (loss, liability, collision etc....) .

Damage waiver is straight forward; if you take that coverage and return a vehicle with any damage all one must do is sign a few papers and that is that. Car rental company "self insures" themselves via the collision damage waiver and will make repairs out of their own pockets.

Nearly all states by law require the owner of a motor vehicle to have a minimum level of liability insurance. This applies to rented vehicles as well, with the liability waiver adding onto whatever level exists for the owner of vehicle (National, Enterprise, or whoever) to pay claims (up to a certain sum) for damage to persons or property caused by a rented vehicle.

As to declining or taking LDW, CDW or other schemes offered by car rental places in general again yes, one should decline such offers if one either has primary coverage (owns their own auto), and or it is available via credit/charge card.

That being said some people actually do choose to take car rental "insurance" even if they do have primary coverage via their own policy, and or can use what their CC offers.

First reason is that you might not want any accident claims on your primary insurance. Again by taking the LDW/CDW everything is handled in house by the car rental company and nothing goes to your insurance. Long as claims do not exceed coverage provided you should be good to go.

Also CC rental coverage normally comes with a host of restrictions (length of time, vehicles covered, etc...), and or only acts as secondary coverage. The latter means if there is an event you'll have to file claims with your insurance company first, and the CC will take care of any remaining balance.

For those who do not have any sort of primary auto insurance then some CC coverage will act as primary, but even then you have to read details of coverage carefully. Some CCs only "reimburse" charges from a rental car company and or liability claims. That means you still are on the hook to pay (either via CC if limit allows) or whatever, then wait for reimbursement.

People who rent vehicles often but don't own often take out a non-owners car insurance policies. These are what livery/car service drivers, non-owner taxi drivers and others who frequently drive rides they don't own but need coverage take out.

Non-owners policies are basically auto insurance that isn't attached to a certain vehicle or vehicles, but the person. It acts as the part of primary insurance that covers any auto policy holder drives even if not his/her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or