U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 PM
 
2,217 posts, read 3,084,863 times
Reputation: 1662

Advertisements

Not to start a new thread. But what rental car companies do you all prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2019, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,235 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Reputation: 15585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Not to start a new thread. But what rental car companies do you all prefer?
The one with the best price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
636 posts, read 238,936 times
Reputation: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Not to start a new thread. But what rental car companies do you all prefer?
I stay away from Sixt, Fox, Advantage, etc. due to extremely polarized reviews. Some people have good experiences, whereas others are charged for BS damages or in general have terrible customer service.

Otherwise I'm usually good with Alamo, National, Enterprise, Budget, Dollar, Avis, and any of the other "mainstream" ones I'm forgetting, then I go with the cheapest price. I still read the reviews for the specific location that I'm picking up/dropping off the car, though, before booking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 AM
 
2,217 posts, read 3,084,863 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I stay away from Sixt, Fox, Advantage, etc. due to extremely polarized reviews. Some people have good experiences, whereas others are charged for BS damages or in general have terrible customer service.

Otherwise I'm usually good with Alamo, National, Enterprise, Budget, Dollar, Avis, and any of the other "mainstream" ones I'm forgetting, then I go with the cheapest price. I still read the reviews for the specific location that I'm picking up/dropping off the car, though, before booking.
Does Alamo not charge you until you arrive there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
636 posts, read 238,936 times
Reputation: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Does Alamo not charge you until you arrive there?
Most (maybe all) rental car companies don't charge you until you arrive, unless you do a pre-pay option (usually comes with a discount). Otherwise, you don't even need to provide a credit card number when booking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 10:41 AM
 
2,217 posts, read 3,084,863 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Most (maybe all) rental car companies don't charge you until you arrive, unless you do a pre-pay option (usually comes with a discount). Otherwise, you don't even need to provide a credit card number when booking.

Thanks. That's exactly what happened. Just thought it was strange but I guess it makes sense.

It did say when I booked that the price is "estimate". Could this be because I might pay for additional features such as insurance etc. that would therefore increase the total?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
636 posts, read 238,936 times
Reputation: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Thanks. That's exactly what happened. Just thought it was strange but I guess it makes sense.
That leads to the beauty of rental cars - you don't have to be monetarily "locked in" on the price/reservation and you can continue to shop around, rebooking when you find something cheaper.

Quote:
It did say when I booked that the price is "estimate". Could this be because I might pay for additional features such as insurance etc. that would therefore increase the total?
That's correct. As long as you don't go for any of the upselling you mentioned, that "estimate" (when it includes the standard taxes and fees) is what you'll pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 11:42 AM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,017 posts, read 1,037,009 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
One is always better off using your own ez pass if you have one or paying cash- take receipts as a proof.
Even with EZpass ( as an example,) drive through the toll booth which says cash- they take ez pass there as well, so you make sure you do not have “ video toll” or whatever the company uses.
It will cost you money. Hertz charges $5.95 a day for the duration of rental once their PlatePass( third party system) was used, even you only paid toll on the first day.Tolls charged without discount( when you pay by your own ez pass you get discount and off- peak travel discount if offered)
If by chance your ez pass was not read in an open lane- you my get charge convenience fees
Also ... if you use your own EZ Pass, you have to add the rental's particulars (make, model, plate #) to your EZ Pass account (the list of vehicles associated with your transponder). This is the case in PA, at least. I found out the hard way: bought a new car in Feb of 2018, stuck the transponder on the windshield, didn't think anything was wrong. A year later, PA started matching transponders and plates on a pretty much 100% basis (before early 2019 they were, according to the PennDOT people I spoke with, doing spot checks). As a result I got a blizzard of violation notices, all of which were voided once I added my new car's plates to the account. It's the same situation with a rental: the plate has to be associated with the transponder. So it's a PIA that may vary by state, but time well spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 PM
 
2,217 posts, read 3,084,863 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
That leads to the beauty of rental cars - you don't have to be monetarily "locked in" on the price/reservation and you can continue to shop around, rebooking when you find something cheaper.


That's correct. As long as you don't go for any of the upselling you mentioned, that "estimate" (when it includes the standard taxes and fees) is what you'll pay.
Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 04:21 AM
 
71,501 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Reputation: 49079
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Some people don't understand that in America your car insurance covers you whenever you use a temporary or substitute motor vehicle. This includes a rental car. The collision damage waiver is not covered, but most people have a credit card that will make up the difference.

Unless you don't own a car of your own that is insured, car rental insurance is a scam that people are often pressured into buying.
keep in mind you are only covered on the rental for what you are covered for on your own policy .. no collision or comprehensive on your own policy equals none carried over to a rental. then you have to depend on the credit card carrier and their fine print .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top