U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 05:23 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,084,863 times

Advertisements

If you get insurance what kind do you usually get?

I noticed on Enterprise web site they had cars to choose from and it was weird because some of the cheaper deals you would think would be more expensive. I see a Nissan Pathfinder that costs more than a Mercedes Benz. Now maybe they are just doing that for selling appeal & you really want get the Benz but a car similar in size?

Also, does anybody have experience with the package they sell for tolls? I think I heard it's around 3.50 a day + whatever tolls you go through. I feel like I'd rather do this than be sorry with a huge fine by them.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 08:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
tolls really depends on locations in USA. The $3.50 / day is for the use of the device and billing service fees. Tolls will be in addition to the $3.50 / day fee. (Last I saw). Bummer... is that you have to pay the $3.50 / day fee, even if you use the tollway for 10 minutes ONE TIME during your monthly rental.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:10 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,128,251 times
I don't get any of that scam insurance the ticket counter agent offers, which can easily double the cost of the rental. I rent through USAA and I pay with a credit card. Between USAA, my credit card and my own auto insurance, I am fully covered. Even for loss of use, which is covered by USAA when I rent through their web site.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:17 AM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
If you get insurance what kind do you usually get?

I noticed on Enterprise web site they had cars to choose from and it was weird because some of the cheaper deals you would think would be more expensive. I see a Nissan Pathfinder that costs more than a Mercedes Benz. Now maybe they are just doing that for selling appeal & you really want get the Benz but a car similar in size?

Also, does anybody have experience with the package they sell for tolls? I think I heard it's around 3.50 a day + whatever tolls you go through. I feel like I'd rather do this than be sorry with a huge fine by them.

Thanks

First, I use my own auto insurance with collision, comprehensive and liability to protect myself. Last year, I was driving a Nissan Altima in Racine by an uninsured driver. I had to pay my $1000 deductible LESS the $500 my VISA card provider handled.

Second, if you want deals, MOST deals are on economy - large cars. SUVs generally are a lot higher as there is a lot of demand for them. Luxury cars are generally not as popular. Pricing is always based on demand. I just booked an $61 weekly OW rental as the rental car companies want the cars out of Arizona before the summer months. I will have a similar rental when I book a one way rental from Philadelohia to Jacksonville FL in October.

If you subscribe to the tolls package, you pay for the tolls plus a daily fee. However, there is nothing that keeps you from carrying your own I-Pass or EZ-Pass. However, you need to realize that they do NOT work in every state. While I do not like those fees, I will be the first to admit that they are better than the old system where they would charge you tolls and a severe penalty charge.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:45 AM

71,502 posts, read 71,674,131 times
there is a hidden exposure with most credit card based coverage ...

if you read the fine print on most cards they say they require a utilization report in order to cover loss of use charges ... that means that if there were 5 similar cars on the rental lot un-rented they will not pay for loss of use ...

that does not mean you don't owe it ...

but the catch is that rental car companies consider utilization reports proprietary information ..they don't want competitors to know what moves and what doesn't so they don't provide them ..

that gives the credit card company an out if they don't want to pay for loss of use

Old 04-25-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
First, I use my own auto insurance with collision, comprehensive and liability to protect myself. Last year, I was driving a Nissan Altima in Racine by an uninsured driver. I had to pay my $1000 deductible LESS the $500 my VISA card provider handled.

Second, if you want deals, MOST deals are on economy - large cars. SUVs generally are a lot higher as there is a lot of demand for them. Luxury cars are generally not as popular. Pricing is always based on demand. I just booked an $61 weekly OW rental as the rental car companies want the cars out of Arizona before the summer months. I will have a similar rental when I book a one way rental from Philadelohia to Jacksonville FL in October.

If you subscribe to the tolls package, you pay for the tolls plus a daily fee. However, there is nothing that keeps you from carrying your own I-Pass or EZ-Pass. However, you need to realize that they do NOT work in every state. While I do not like those fees, I will be the first to admit that they are better than the old system where they would charge you tolls and a severe penalty charge.

I do have an EZ Pass & I will check it out. But doubt it will do anything for me in California or Arizona being from VA.

I noticed you put down that you do one way a lot. Doesn't that ad a lot of extra costs when you return to separate rental place?

Old 04-25-2019, 02:10 PM

I was looking at 2 sites. One for National & one for Enterprise.

1 site had F150 at $43.00 a day which came to like $257 for 4 days. The other site had it for 4 days @ $582. Seems like a huge difference for same type of vehicle.

Any idea why?

Old 04-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Specific models will have very different rates based on availability and demand. Even same models, same general location can vary 100%

Old 04-25-2019, 03:49 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I was looking at 2 sites. One for National & one for Enterprise.

1 site had F150 at $43.00 a day which came to like $257 for 4 days. The other site had it for 4 days @ $582. Seems like a huge difference for same type of vehicle.

Any idea why?

Nope.

The last time I was in San Jose, CA, the rate for a full sized Ford F-150 pick up was $19 per day and a compact was $85/ day.

I do NOT ask why. I just go ahead and book it.

Last week, I was on the Caesar's Entertainment website and received a $20 rate for three nights with no resort fees at the Rio in Las Vegas. I do not know why they made me a generous offer but I was not going to analyze it.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:26 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't get any of that scam insurance the ticket counter agent offers, which can easily double the cost of the rental. I rent through USAA and I pay with a credit card. Between USAA, my credit card and my own auto insurance, I am fully covered. Even for loss of use, which is covered by USAA when I rent through their web site.
Yes it is a scam!!

I also use USAA insurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or