U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 12:45 AM

967 posts, read 623,463 times

Advertisements

To me "Pet Friendly" does not mean they will allow your pets for $25 extra a piece. For enough extra revenue I'd be pet friendly with an alligator. They say "read the fine priint" but when you are using an online service - perhaps in a car or in a rush you won't or cant read the small print. In addition am independent motel in Morrow Bay California saidi you can't have your pets sleep in the car. Actually our dogs seem to enjoy it .. Of course the weather has to be cool -windows cracked and a bowl of water.

If the industry _ Hotels.com Booking.com Trip Advisor -cared about customers, they would adopt standards

Perhaps

1. "Pet Friendly " for up to 2 free pets any deposits listed ( I am not against deposits)

2. Pet "Allowable+ with fees listed boldly and clearly

3. "No Pets" in rooms but in cars ok

4. "No Pets on allowed on premises"

There might still need to be some fine print to explain ( dogs cats rabbits only) but 90% of the people will know as soon as they see the listing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 AM

15,092 posts, read 19,041,938 times
We have traveled with our dog extensively. I agree that th wording used is confusing. (I'm not going to agree that it's deceptive).

But ultimately, it's MY responsibility to double check and read the small print. Just like other travel industry language - ocean view, close to public transportation, plenty of parking, etc. Hell, the advertised prices don't include the ubiquitous "resort fees" which can range up to fifty bucks a day.

Here's our rule for pet travel: stay at LaQuinta, Red Roof or Motel 6. All are totally friendly for one pet (motel 6 is 2). No deposits, no extra fees.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:44 PM

12,666 posts, read 7,575,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Here's our rule for pet travel: stay at LaQuinta, Red Roof or Motel 6. All are totally friendly for one pet (motel 6 is 2). No deposits, no extra fees.
That's not true. I'm staying at a LaQuinta next month, and it's $20 extra per night.

I just always figure all hotels charge an extra fee. They have to spend extra time cleaning the room, so why shouldn't I pay extra for that?

Old 04-27-2019, 01:44 PM

22,729 posts, read 28,783,807 times
I've always found the information easily on any motel's website. Or, you could always call them and ask. They always have their phone number on their website.

I don't know why anything that is "friendly" must also be free. I wouldn't expect it.

While I appreciate any motel that takes my dogs for free, not many motels do that, so I don't feel I have a right to it.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:45 PM

22,729 posts, read 28,783,807 times
By the way, besides the pet fee, I always leave a nice tip for the maids when I travel with my dogs. I figure that it causes the maids extra work and they aren't the ones getting the pet fee.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:37 PM

967 posts, read 623,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've always found the information easily on any motel's website. Or, you could always call them and ask. They always have their phone number on their website.

I don't know why anything that is "friendly" must also be free. I wouldn't expect it.

While I appreciate any motel that takes my dogs for free, not many motels do that, so I don't feel I have a right to it.

Well isn't "pets allowed for a fee". more informative and accurate?

Old 04-28-2019, 06:08 AM

12,666 posts, read 7,575,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Well isn't "pets allowed for a fee". more informative and accurate?
Only if you think pet-friendly = pets stay free. Not every hotel charges a pet fee, so it's easier to state pet-friendly, or pets allowed, and then have the official pet policy written on the hotel's page.

I've never had a problem before with how it's worded. We usually stay at Hilton properties, and on the hotel website it will state under hotel information:

Pets
Service animals allowed: Yes
Pets allowed: Yes
Deposit: $50.00
Non-Refundable
Maximum Weight: 70 lbs

Even on Hotels.com, it states pets allowed with an asterisk. When you scroll down it states

Optional extras
Pets
are allowed for an extra charge of USD 50

Old 04-28-2019, 09:44 PM

427 posts, read 358,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That's not true. I'm staying at a LaQuinta next month, and it's $20 extra per night.

I just always figure all hotels charge an extra fee. They have to spend extra time cleaning the room, so why shouldn't I pay extra for that?
You are correct about LaQuinta, they JUST changed their policy a few months ago.

I did stay at one a few weeks ago and they were not officially charging pet fees yet, but some are. I believe it has to do with them joining the Wyndham family.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,010,120 times
I have never expected pet-friendly to mean bring all your pets for free.

I'm just glad they accept pets. Next step, find out how much the pet fees are. To me, that's normal and quite fair.

I also think it's just good legal covering their butts to say you can't have your animals left in your vehicle. Of course, they can't really control that. But, it covers their rears in the event your pets in your vehicle cause any problems or they are harmed in any way on the property.

I can understand your frustration if the info as far as what the exact pet charges are, are not easily found. But, I really don't think it's reasonable to expect there wouldn't be any extra charges for having pets in the rental. Even well-trained dogs like mine can shed like nobody's business. The last time I took her to a rental with me, we covered the furniture, but still, there would have been dog hair everywhere, requiring a lot of extra vacuuming that wouldn't normally be necessary with just human guests.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:57 PM

307 posts, read 82,592 times
We usually stay at motel 6 since there is no fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel