U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 02:12 PM

6,314 posts, read 3,576,034 times

Advertisements

How many of those 39,000 are on vacation every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 07:31 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,368,509 times
well, not with year-around schools.
cannot afford the time.
we have the money.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:38 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,620,384 times
This is also true of France vacations cost too much
The other related fact is that if you take that time off even though you got lots of it on the books you might not have a job when you get back

Old 04-27-2019, 08:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,582 posts, read 39,952,759 times
These are some of the best economic times for USA families to take vacations. If using an excuse this yr (too expensive),,, likely be MUCH worse in future yrs.

Matter of priorities / expectations (too expensive taste), unwillingness to try something different... Poor planning.

Good idea to take the vacation you can afford, will be a 'growing' experience for the family. We made sure our kids participated in the planning / budgeting for travel. Since we homeschooled, we often took 4 - 6+ week 'vacations'(?). The kids learned a lot from frugal travel (staying on farms and helping with projects / chores / milking...).
Staying in what our kids termed... "Foster Homes for College kids" (international youth hostels)...

We booked flights on Mondays and Fridays so we had a good chance to be bumped, resulted in ~ 10 yrs of 'nearly free' flights for all.

Stuck with our $100 / month family food budget while traveling.

Driving a $35 car that gets 50 mpg on free fuel also helps on saving $ for 'vacation'.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:29 PM

6,905 posts, read 3,838,461 times
At least they have company staying home.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:32 AM

71,964 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Now youíre gonna hear the angry swarming buzz of pet owners! However, I have to agree that having pets does make a financial difference, however slight compared with the rest of a lifestyle.

When we had dogs (and having two is NOT ďjust as cheap as having oneĒ!) and went on vacation, we had to add the cost of their caretaking while we were gone. It can be substantial at $50/day or more. And no, bringing them on vacation was not an option, since the point was to do things that we normally could not do because of pet duties. A weekend away with them was nice sometimes, but not a real or prolonged vacation from the routine.
this is a very good point. My husband does pet sitting which is fine for people who can leave their pets at home. The cost is a lot less than boarding them and the 4 legged animals are happy in their own homes, but when, for whatever reason they have to be boarded the cost can amount up pretty fast. We do leave our kitty home and our daughter comes in every other day to change the litter, feed him and give him a little love. Our dog has to be boarded. Even though she only weights about 11 lbs it is $20 a day. That can amount up pretty fast if we are gone a week or more. Last time we were gone 13 days. I will add, we live in an area where the prices for pet sitters or boarding are lower than the average throughout the country.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:24 AM

7,357 posts, read 3,040,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm very well aware that going on a vacation doesn't necessarily have to cost a lot of money, but if you travel and stay at hotels and eat out, it's still going to cost a good chunk of money.

This summer I won't be taking a vacation because I can't afford it these days. I used to every summer for many years, travel internationally. But not this time.

Which is fine, I'm a homebody anyways and I'll use that free time to play videogames and study courses online.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/39-mi...c=bell-brknews
Life happens. We won't be taking a vacation this year because we're building a house. Income has to cover outgo.
That is a variable that's stalled me all my life!

Old 04-28-2019, 08:51 AM

5,430 posts, read 2,827,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Life happens. We won't be taking a vacation this year because we're building a house. Income has to cover outgo.
That is a variable that's stalled me all my life!
Same for me when we had our house built. Even after the build, there is still too much stuff to do that I wonít be taking a real vaca for a while. But at this point, it has become more an issue of having time to do these things (or be present while a contractor does them) than of money, at least for the inexpensive trips we normally take.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:01 AM

7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
How much you want to bet a lotmofmthese are families that spend all weekend long ferrying their kids to some sort of activity? Especially those that have their kids on traveling sports teams? That's an obscene amount of money. No wonder some people can't afford to travel.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:05 AM

12,632 posts, read 7,551,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Driving a $35 car that gets 50 mpg on free fuel also helps on saving $ for 'vacation'.
Where are you getting the $35 car and the free fuel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel