U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 AM

12,900 posts, read 8,735,729 times

Advertisements

The last time I went on vacation, it's 80% more taxing on us then going to work or staying home. The problem is that many vacation places from airlines, hotels, amusement parks, etc don't have enough personnel or resources to deal with visitors. You have to be really lucky for the whole trip to work as planned with no surprises. It's a test of your ability to manage risks whenever you travel as family with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 09:30 AM

163 posts, read 246,520 times
What about vacation days from work? That’s the limiting factor for me. I get sick often enough that I rarely ever have time to travel.

I’m on a two-week vacation right now... the first time I’ve ever taken off more than a couple of days off for personal reasons in my 10 years of working, and the first time taking any kind of personal trip. These 10 days are what I’ve saved up after three and a half years at my current company (after taking off some sick days and a very rare one or two days off to de-stress)

Old 04-29-2019, 09:33 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,859,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I've brought my little dogs on vacation four times. In a new place, they panicked every time I left the hotel. Who wants to hear my dogs barking? My oldest has diabetes and needs an insulin injection every 12 hours. The insulin needs to be refrigerated at the right temperature.

Really, vacations seem like more work than relaxation for me.
^^^This^^^ With a dog and a cat and being that I live in Florida I would just as soon take a few "me" days and go to the beach. I'm a planner and it's daunting for me to have to make all the arrangements. The last time I had a vacation was April of 2007 and that was just a 4 day trip to NYC to go to the Metropolitan Opera and spend a few days playing tourist.

Now if I could afford a vacation and a pet sitter I would like to go to Colorado for a week in the summer.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:18 AM

19,367 posts, read 17,476,403 times
Its not so much not affording it but in many cases its not being able to take one. You work in a bare bones minimum staffed workplace and have maybe 12 prime weeks to divvy up. You all want July or August and that cuts it down to maybe 8 weeks. Forget more than one person taking the same week, not enough staffing. Have some family suggest some late plans you can forget it, if you didn't have put in for it at least 3 months prior, its not happening.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:17 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,366,592 times
As others have pointed out, we are up to about 350 million Americans... so about 10% can't afford one? Interesting. Because I read all the time about how <insert high percentage> of Americans can't afford an unexpected $1000 expense, or are way behind schedule to reach even a modest $500k retirement nest egg.

I'd argue, the real number who can't afford a vacation is probably more like 200-250 million. But just as most people can't afford a $30,000 car, most people find a way to do it anyway.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:05 PM

5,247 posts, read 5,168,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most Americans don't have enough cash to go through 1-2 months without a paycheck then how can they afford a vacation?

They don't have enough cash saved because they are spending on vacations, duh. (I feel I must emphasize that I am kidding.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Is going to the Outer Banks for vacation an Ohio thing? My family camped there for years until my parents purchased a double lot and a very 1960s mobile home (no air conditioning!) on an island near Morehead City, N.C. We used to see so many other Ohio license plates there. In the days when the county was still listed on the bottom of Ohio tags, we kids used to play a modified version of the "license plate game" by listing the plate counties. Think that our record was sixty-three out of eighty-eight.
Must be---I had a coworker from Ohio and she went there regularly with her family.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:07 PM

961 posts, read 619,570 times
Trump is taking several --at your expense. So even if you can't afford to go feel secure in knowing he is setting a record for vacation time.

Its the same with you folks who are whining that your tax refunds are much less now. Its your fault if you didn't use your private jet deduction.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:40 PM

13,820 posts, read 18,779,327 times
Depending on where you live day trips can be just as nice as so called vacations . I don't like vacations because in todays world you have to be worried about your home being empty for so many days and these days who knows their neighbors really and if you can trust them . I don't and wont .

Old 04-29-2019, 05:50 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm very well aware that going on a vacation doesn't necessarily have to cost a lot of money, but if you travel and stay at hotels and eat out, it's still going to cost a good chunk of money.

This summer I won't be taking a vacation because I can't afford it these days. I used to every summer for many years, travel internationally. But not this time.

Which is fine, I'm a homebody anyways and I'll use that free time to play videogames and study courses online.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/39-mi...c=bell-brknews
Depends on what you call "afford." I've never been on a vacation in my adult life. Could I have afforded it? Maybe. But just because I had the money doesn't mean I could afford it. I had the view that unless I had my emergency fund built up, and my retirement account in good shape, I couldn't "afford" some things. Vacations were low priority to me.

I did stay-cations at home. Or drove to visit relatives sometimes for a couple of days.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:19 PM

788 posts, read 727,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Husband and I can afford a vacation anytime we want. But we hate the thought of going somewhere, staying in marginal hotels or paying high rates for good ones, eating unfamiliar food, etc.

There is no place like home and the cash is still in the bank.
I agree.

I know a lot of people are saying you can travel for cheap, but I know my tastes and what I’m comfortable with. For me, an enjoyable vacation includes the luxury component and that includes staying in hotels, preferably 3+ stars. However, it’s gotten so expensive. I get so far as to start booking online and when I get to the price breakdown, I cancel because l don’t want to pay the high prices. The base price of the room is high enough, but then they tack on resort fees, valet parking and taxes...oh my! I can afford it, I just don’t want to pay it. I’d rather save my money.

Maybe it’s old age, too. I don’t have the patience or stamina for road trips anymore nor want to deal with the hassle of flying. Then I have to plan what to do and then I’m exhausted when I get back. I think all that planning and anticipation and going is not as enjoyable as it once was for me. I can find plenty to do where I live and pocket the cash I would have used for a vacation. Luckily, I live in an area that’s central to a lot of activities, so I’ll plan on taking a couple of day trips this summer.

Last edited by jaynaydee; 04-29-2019 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel