U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 06:56 PM

17,276 posts, read 10,200,031 times

Advertisements

I'm very well aware that going on a vacation doesn't necessarily have to cost a lot of money, but if you travel and stay at hotels and eat out, it's still going to cost a good chunk of money.

This summer I won't be taking a vacation because I can't afford it these days. I used to every summer for many years, travel internationally. But not this time.

Which is fine, I'm a homebody anyways and I'll use that free time to play videogames and study courses online.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/39-mi...c=bell-brknews

Quote:
The summer season is a huge travel time for American families, but some startling information tells us that this year isnít going to be the break a lot of people are hoping for.

According to a new Bankrate survey, an estimated 39 million Americans wonít be taking a summer vacation this year because they canít afford one. While just over half of American adults are planning to take some sort of trip during the summer months, a whopping 48% are either definitely not taking one or havenít decided yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 08:10 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,447,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm very well aware that going on a vacation doesn't necessarily have to cost a lot of money, but if you travel and stay at hotels and eat out, it's still going to cost a good chunk of money.

This summer I won't be taking a vacation because I can't afford it these days. I used to every summer for many years, travel internationally. But not this time.

Which is fine, I'm a homebody anyways and I'll use that free time to play videogames and study courses online.

If taking a vacation is a priority to you, youíll find a way

For starters you can always stay at @ an Airbnb and go to the grocery store & cook yourself

Couchsurfing

Voluntourism

Itís so easy to travel cheaply

Old 04-26-2019, 10:09 PM

3,407 posts, read 3,967,441 times
Just a drop in the bucket with the current population of this country. There will not be any shortage of people or money at all the amusement parks, campgrounds, and other entertainment venues. Some will even record "record breaking" numbers of people. Happens all the time.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:15 PM

787 posts, read 370,278 times
Anyone can take a vacation, you just have to lower your expectations. Maybe you can't afford to take the entire family to Disney World, or Hawaii, but you can rent a cheaper motel and go to a new city for the night, or go camping in a national Forest.

So many people plan these huge thousand dollar vacations and they go into debt because of them, when they could plan something much simpler and less expensive and still have a great time.

Also I don't believe the article because every year they're setting record breaking numbers at the National Parks in this country and Disney just keeps raising their prices and yet millions flock there every year despite their ridiculous entrance fees, people are still vacationing.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:54 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,960,701 times
Only 39 million can't afford it? With over 200 million Americans? I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of Americans can afford summer vacations, actually.

I have been too poor to take a vacation for a long time. The last one I took was a year ago and I met a friend at an AirBnB vacation guest house and we both brought food and paid for our own gas, and I think she paid more than half for the guest house. It was a huge splurge for me.

I can only save about $200 a month at best, and that's if nothing goes wrong each month. I don't think I'm a giant exception to most of America these days.

But, I'm a homebody, too and I have my hobbies and a (normally) quiet apartment somewhere with good weather, so it's really no big deal to me. I'd like more money to go visit friends who don't live close, more often. But, I figure that's a first world problem.

You really only need a vacation if you don't like to be where you are, eh?

Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 AM

5,248 posts, read 5,173,378 times
When I go camping, I see a lot of families go for the week. Less than $150/week to rent a site.

They bring all of their stuff from home, cook their own food and probably do everything for under $500 the entire week. And that's for five or six people.

When I was a kid, we usually went away for a week and my mom would put change into this giant glass thing all year and then right before we went, she would wrap all the coins up, bring them to the bank and voila vacation money.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:05 AM

221 posts, read 147,756 times
Going on a "summer" vacation can be overrated. Expensive, crowded, and hot. Going in the off season or shoulder season leads to an overall better and more affordable vacation experience. With that said there are places that are best seen during the summer.

As to the financial part, it's all about priorities. If vacation is that important then people can save money in other areas (i.e. smaller house, not having kids, not having pets, limiting going out to eat, etc.). And travel doesn't have to mean expensive. A simple road trip to a national park/forest and some tent camping is an awesome vacation.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:32 AM

5,429 posts, read 2,827,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Only 39 million can't afford it? With over 200 million Americans? I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of Americans can afford summer vacations, actually.

I have been too poor to take a vacation for a long time. The last one I took was a year ago and I met a friend at an AirBnB vacation guest house and we both brought food and paid for our own gas, and I think she paid more than half for the guest house. It was a huge splurge for me.

I can only save about $200 a month at best, and that's if nothing goes wrong each month. I don't think I'm a giant exception to most of America these days.

But, I'm a homebody, too and I have my hobbies and a (normally) quiet apartment somewhere with good weather, so it's really no big deal to me. I'd like more money to go visit friends who don't live close, more often. But, I figure that's a first world problem.

You really only need a vacation if you don't like to be where you are, eh?

Hardly an emergency, anyway!

Besides, of the 39% who claim they cannot afford the vacation of their choice, what percentage has been spending disposable income on fun but unnecessary items for their daily life? For most people, vacation is affordable because we donít spend like thereís no tomorrow in our daily lives.

How much does that alcohol, pot, or ciggie habit cost someone? How much does being a refurbish-the-decor-every-season fanatic cost that person? And Is that cost something worth giving up a vacation for?

Iíd rather experience a wonderful vacation than have a TV subscription. It all depends on what your priorities are. I knew a family who was looking forward to a dream vacation, for which they had been working hard and foregoing any other vacations for something like 7 years. It is always a tradeoff what you spend money on.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:37 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

when we were kids our vacations pretty much consisted of renting a cabin on the beach or mountains or camping. We did most of our own cooking and just the fun of getting away was vacation. My folks were certainly not struggling when it came to money but we didn't think every vacation needed to cost an arm and a leg. Of course this was before the days of credit cards. Yes, those days did exist.

When our kids were growing up, we did the same, went camping, rented a vacation place for a week or visited relatives. We would, maybe spend a night of two in a inexpensive motel and would eat a few meals out. There were a few trips to amusement parks but not many. Now days families think of vacations as a week in a resort area, a cruise, an airline place ride, etc. No wonder they can not afford to vacation. Not everything in life is fair or equal.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:42 AM

5,429 posts, read 2,827,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Going on a "summer" vacation can be overrated. Expensive, crowded, and hot. Going in the off season or shoulder season leads to an overall better and more affordable vacation experience. With that said there are places that are best seen during the summer.

As to the financial part, it's all about priorities. If vacation is that important then people can save money in other areas (i.e. smaller house, not having kids,not having pets, limiting going out to eat, etc.). And travel doesn't have to mean expensive. A simple road trip to a national park/forest and some tent camping is an awesome vacation.
Now youíre gonna hear the angry swarming buzz of pet owners! However, I have to agree that having pets does make a financial difference, however slight compared with the rest of a lifestyle.

When we had dogs (and having two is NOT ďjust as cheap as having oneĒ!) and went on vacation, we had to add the cost of their caretaking while we were gone. It can be substantial at $50/day or more. And no, bringing them on vacation was not an option, since the point was to do things that we normally could not do because of pet duties. A weekend away with them was nice sometimes, but not a real or prolonged vacation from the routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel