U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 11:50 AM

3,492 posts, read 2,507,518 times

Advertisements

If you want to do an entire city, or even country, that is fine, but I am really interested in specific places in them too.

For example, I love Rome, but my very favorite spot in it is Aqueduct Park. I have always been fascinated by the great aqueducts as the best thing that the Romans produced (and that is saying something). And when you get tired of the grifters and other tourists on the main grid in downtown Rome, you can take a twenty minute metro ride to a free, open park where some of the giant stone arches of the Aqua Claudia remain, and another, smaller but still-functioning aqueduct from the 16th century runs. Almost no tourists...locals playing ball and picnicking on the weekend...you can walk around as you want...and again, it is free! After you watch the sun go down behind the giant ruins, you can go get a gellato at any number of places, but my wife and I like a spot called La Dulce Vida.

About an hour away from me is Santa Cruz, right on Monterrey bay. They have one of the coolest amusement parks in the world- Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk, which has an old-timey feel, but some very good rides, including one of the oldest roller-coasters in America, and some state-of-the-art dark-rides rivaling Disney. Admission is free. If you walk up the road by the beach at night to the light house, you can see the park all lit up in the distance, hear the people on the coaster screaming out of one ear, hear the otters tapping clam shells with the other as you smell the salt-water, and watch the moonlight shimmering on the water. Very good for the soul.

Finally, sitting in the main square in Cuzco, you get an odd feeling that you are sitting in the center of the world, there up in the mountains, seeing the Spanish churches in front of you and knowing that you are surrounded by legendarily magnificent Inca sites such as Sacsyhuman and Tambomachy, maybe ten minutes away.

Just a few of mine. Please share the places that capture your heart and speak you your soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 01:49 PM

2,544 posts, read 1,633,029 times
Positano, Italy.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:30 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,781,014 times
- Angkor Wat in Cambodia is probably the most magnificent site I've seen on this earth.

- Ciclismo on Sunday's in Mexico City is noteworthy for the sheer amount of free fun you can have with the community.

- Historic sections of Montreal, Havana, and Hanoi all have some of the best architecture I've been around, and I absolutely enjoy being taken back to a different time period.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Tho a Colorado kid...

The Alps... "The mountain range stretches across 8 different countries: France, Monaco, Italy, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Germany, Austria and Slovenia."

Very different each season, each visit to The Alps.

Intriguing. (for me)

Old 04-28-2019, 09:51 PM

12,562 posts, read 15,036,884 times
Northern Wales, UK. Visited 9 years ago, I hope it’s still as quiet and quaint as ever. Lovely people, friendly and cordial. Classic castles, beautiful oceanfront views mixed with newer modern shops. Great restaurants and nice weather. Peaceful and invigorating. Planning to visit again some day.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:38 AM

24,770 posts, read 6,161,507 times
I pretty much everywhere I've been on my travels. Spain, Greece, Portugal, especially Tunisia. But my favourite place in the world is Las Vegas.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:18 AM

629 posts, read 491,655 times
Istanbul, Turkey - such a gorgeous city with unique and amazing architecture and food.

Sintra, Portugal - amazing Moorish Castle and Pena Palace in a beautiful setting.

Big Sur, California - all time favorite coastal scenery.

Canadian Rockies - show me a more photogenic image than Moraine Lake and I'll be quite impressed.

West of Ireland - love it all, from the castles and fortresses to the sea cliffs and ancient structures.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:06 AM

14,364 posts, read 7,911,249 times
So far I've loved Belize, Edinburgh, and Cains in Australia. I can't choose a favorite out of these three, but you can keep Hawaii.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:10 AM

5,917 posts, read 2,883,413 times
Sacré-Cœur in Paris is one of our favorite spots to just sit. The combination of city view and people watching, if weather is nice, is hard to beat.

Parque de Berrio, Medellin. Again people watching this square has musicians, folks hanging out, lots foot traffic from metro, lots places to sit, without the higher seediness factor of nearby Parque San Antonio or the druggies/drunks of Parque Bolivar.

Bagan, Myanamar. Take scooter out at dawn, climb up on temple roof, and watch sun rise over valley with all the temple structures revealed. Could do almost every day.

Iglesia El Rosario, San Salvador. I've seen bigger churches, older churches, gaudier churches, but nothing like this with the colors across the walls and ceiling. Ugly building outside with chaotic city, peaceful inside with glow changing with weather and time of day. Great place to sit.

So many more...

Old 04-30-2019, 06:03 AM

889 posts, read 325,888 times
Whitsundays, Queensland, Australia

Cappadocia, Turkey

Rapallo, Italy

Kimberley region, Western Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or