U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:18 AM

317 posts, read 235,631 times

Advertisements

Will be driving cross country delivering car from Maryland to Northern California (June). Route has already been planned for stops in Roanoke, VA, Asheville, NC, Nashville and Memphis, TN", then on to Fort Smith, Arkansas. What is best route from Fort Smith to Denver - via Oklahoma City and Amarillo; via northern Oklahoma (possible stop in Guymon), or cut up through Tulsa and stay night in Salina, KS and then west on I70

I plan to take two days and want a reasonably scenic but not too slow route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 10:50 AM

6,552 posts, read 10,254,632 times
Honestly there isn't much along I-70 between Salina and Denver. It's a long, mostly flat slog through high prairie until you get to Limon, Colorado.

You'd probably be better off going to Amarillo then making your way to Raton, NM, via US-385 and US-87. Northeastern New Mexico has a handful of extinct volcanoes that rise up from the plains. Sierra Grande is a large shield volcano that towers about 2000' above the town of Des Moines, and a little further northwest is Capulin Volcano National Monument. At Capulin you can drive to the rim and hike down into the crater.

Once you get to Raton it's I-25 all the way to Denver. You'll be treated to mountain views the entire trip up I-25.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 AM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
I just drove across Kansas. There is no "scenic" and miles seem longer.

I like Bluescreen73's trip. It will be a lonely drive west from Amarillo to Raton.
At least Oklahoma has Historic Route 66 through the state and into the Texas Panhandle. Stay in Amarillo. Check out Cadillac Ranch and/or Palo Duro Canyon if time permits. The volcanic field near Clayton & Capulin is interesting. You will cross the pass north of Raton and then follow the front range north to Denver.

The Route through Salina would be a bit shorter and mostly interstate but not much to see.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:45 PM

4,364 posts, read 1,657,079 times
Stay off the interstates.

Watch for the state birds:
Oklahoma's long-tailrd Scissortailed Flycatcher, perched on roadside wires.
Kansas' Western Meadowlark, stop and listen to their lovely song. Common flying off the roadside, looking like they have nickels balanced on their tails.
Colorado's vivid black and white Lark Bunting in breeding plumage, which inhabit only the flat plains and common on roadsides.

Last edited by cebuan; 04-30-2019 at 10:36 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 03:49 AM

4,364 posts, read 1,657,079 times
I think you can still buy a Rand Mcnally road atlas at Walmart, printed on paper. Plan your whole trip from it, forget about online maps. The paper maps will open your whole trip to your imagination, which if you are lucky, you still possess a vestigial one.

I can't describe what it is like to look at a paper map and see it as a picture of the land, but I invite you to try. I looked at google map Fort Smith to Denver, and saw a tiny screen suggesting nowhere I'd ever want to seen. But I'v been across those lands dozens of times, always spurred on what my big maps promised me..

Read the history of Pawhuska, Oklahoma, and you'll commit it to your itinerary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage_Indian_murders

I envy your chance for a leisurely drive across America. Don't waste it in the interstates. No matter where you wander, you're never over a half hour from a motel with a vacancy, so no need to commit yourself. Let America surprise you. Stop at yard sales (sorry, none on the interstates) and talk to people.

Last edited by cebuan; 05-01-2019 at 04:09 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 06:23 AM

37,948 posts, read 55,692,297 times
Maryland to N. California - that's ~3300 miles or 51 hrs driving time (hwy speed limit). You want to make it in two days doing a scenic drive? When are you going to sleep, rest, eat, have a pit stop?
https://www.distancefromto.net/dista...-to-california
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.5...38.5815719!3e0
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 05-01-2019 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 AM

37,948 posts, read 55,692,297 times
Try this:
https://trips.furkot.com/ui
on your right, there are several folders
click on Trip
enter e.g. Fort Smith, AR to Denver, CO
then click on the folder Find
chose the type of attractions you want to see on your way (icons on the top)
customize your route

World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 AM

9,137 posts, read 8,279,007 times
You want to make that drive in two days???

Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 AM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Stay off the interstates.
I mostly took two-lane highways on my recent trip instead of interstates. I got three chips in the windshield that grew into long cracks going halfway across the glass. That was from passing trucks that threw up small pieces of gravel. Given the combined speed, the gravel was probably flying at 150 mph when it hit the glass. That experience might have happened on an interstate but is more likely on two-lane highways without a median.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:48 PM

317 posts, read 235,631 times
Default Cross country trip Fort Smith to Denver

Looking at the map, it's about 1,000 miles so a 2 day trip would be about 8 hours or 500 miles per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel